GM Inside News Forum banner

The Official NASCAR 2016 Thread

4K views 47 replies 11 participants last post by  Shotgun 
#1 ·
The first practices of the season get underway today at Daytona. What are your thoughts on all the offseason news?

#3 ·
Race was so-so. I don't like the aero package they have right now. Too much dependence on others. Kenseth lucky he didn't get much damage by blocking at the end. Harvick is only driver that could hold on when car got loose off of 4. The others ended up on the hook.

#7 · (Edited)
Hard to understand why Stewart Hass is switching to Ford and Roush Fenway. They say they are not getting best equipment from Hendricks?

Well Roush Fenway is doing terrible, can't even remember when they won there last race (not in 2015). But last year Kevin Harvick and Kurt Busch did very well with Hendricks engines!

Must be something else going on!

#10 ·
How is everyone liking the new aero package this year for the Cup cars? I think the racing is better, as a whole, and putting more driver control in play is always a good thing.

#11 ·
As a casual fan I have to say the racing has been sleep inducing for the most part this year. I also think Toyotas dominance needs to be put in check by Nascar if they understand what's best for them, they seem to not mind doing it to the other makes to even things out from time to time.

#14 ·
Big CONGRATS to Tony Stewart on the win today in Sonoma! Though he likely won't win the Chase, it's great to see someone who has given so much to the sport get a well-deserved win in his final season.

Reactions: Ed753
#16 ·
As it turned-out, Hamlin was a sitting duck; go slower and stay tight through turn 11 and Tony would tap him in the rear, in an effort to loosen him up and get by, go wider, and faster, seemed like the smart thing to do, but it gave Tony room to sneak in under, and since it is the last lap, no need to save the car, use Hamlin's car as a burm............

Love him or hate him; good to see Tony get a win in his last season, sure been a rough couple years.

#15 ·
I'm really enjoying this season more than any we've had in recent years. The competition is so close, the new aero package has also helped things enormously. I believe taking even more downforce away will only make the racing even that much better.

#18 ·
Interesting race last night at Daytona. It had a little bit of everything during the race. Keselowski was strong all night, but I still feel that the package they've run at plate tracks the past few years needs some tweaking. Too hard to pass alone and sometimes even with help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#20 ·
I've stopped watching, tired of Penske and JGR winning every week. :mad:

#22 ·
Finally a Chevy sweep for the weekend.

It was cool to see Tony get to do a final burnout at Bristol with Harvick, it would have been even cooler if he'd finished better than 30th. :(

#21 ·
Road course races are far more entertaining these days than they ever were. I think a combination of drivers being more comfortable and the new Chase format, helps that.

I see where Bristol is trying some things to get more racing in the lower (old) groove. Let's hope it works. The racing excitement hasn't been at Bristol since they re-poured the track almost 10 years ago.

#23 ·
Glad to see Harvick win on Sunday. Would've been nice to see Stenhouse win in the Brian Clauson tribute car, if Harvick couldn't have done it. The 3 car seems to be gaining momentum and running stronger each week. Busch Beer got a win, finally, after a string of bad luck when sponsoring the 4 car this year. When's the last time Busch Beer was on a race-winning Cup car? Early 80's, maybe?

#24 ·
When's the last time Busch Beer was on a race-winning Cup car? Early 80's, maybe?
I believe they said 1987 on Race Hub.

#25 ·
Should be a good race today in Michigan. The lower low downforce package will be utilized again. It has made for very good racing in the few races they've run it this year. Hope they do indeed run this package next year everywhere except plate tracks. Maybe even take some more downforce away.

#26 ·
Good race at Elkhart Lake yesterday. First time in ages I've watched a Busch series race. Michael McDowell is a good guy, glad to see him finally get a W.

Hopefully Chase or Jimmie can get it done today. HMS really needs some momentum going into the Chase. It's been a horrible year for them, one of the worst in memory from an on-track performance standpoint.

#27 ·
Hopefully Chase or Jimmie can get it done today. HMS really needs some momentum going into the Chase. It's been a horrible year for them, one of the worst in memory from an on-track performance standpoint.
Real close, another second at Michigan for Chase and Jimmie had a solid top-10. Good to see Kyle Larson finally get his first Cup Series win.

#29 ·
Anyone making the trip to Darlington this weekend? We had a great time last year and the throwback stuff this year should be even better. Lot of great schemes and events planned.

#30 ·
Sucks that a throwback scheme hasn't won during the throwback weekend.

I stopped watching with 5 to go when I realized Harvick wasn't going to reel him back in. They really need to do something with their pit crews at SHR.

#32 ·
We enjoyed our trip to Darlington this weekend. The race was a good one, though the miscues on the 4 team's pit stops cost him the win. Funny how people either say Harvick was out of line to call out the pit crew for lackluster stops, or they say he was perfectly within his rights. First, I think it's more of who is saying it versus what was said. If Jr had said the same, people would be lauding him for firing up his team and calling out the miscues. Also, bad stops get noticed by everyone much more when your running up front so much. If you're running 10-12 and lose a few spots on pit road, no one notices...or cares. I just hope they can get it all together these next 11 races. Absolutely no reason that team only has a handful of wins the past 2 years. They should have at least 12-15 legit wins the past two seasons.

I really wonder if going to Ford and doing so much more in-house like their own chassis, etc will really propel them into an elite team without being pulled down by other teams getting behind.

RCR is going on 100 races without a win and almost 3 years. Sometimes you see improvement and sometimes it's like the same old song since the late 90s. I really think if RCR and HMS worked together like the Toyota and Ford teams do, it'd be greatly beneficial to both. Combine engine programs at the very least or something. I say those two teams because Ganassi, JTG Daugherty and Germain don't do anything in-house with regard to chassis, engines and such as far as I know.

#33 ·
Ouch.

I thought Ryan and Tony were friends?

#34 · (Edited)
Very interesting race from Richmond. One of the better RIR races leading into the Chase, if not the best yet. Well, 2nd only to the Jeremy Mayfield "win and get in" race.

Yes, Chris, the interview with Newman and how he was Stewart's 2nd victim of intentional dumping in as many weeks was quite spicy. He said nothing that wasn't true or as he put it, "Google it", but boy he had a few iffy choice of words. Of course, Tony has had many issues in Sprint Cars besides the tragedy in 2014, so he kind of left the door open for interpretation. For Tony's part, it was quite clear (to me) that his responses in his interview were all but scripted to say the right thing at the right time. Definitely not a usual Tony Stewart "off the cuff" interview.

Glad to see the 3, 24, 34 and 42 all in the Chase for the first time. Also, the 78 failed post race inspection. Recent actions make me believe that they will lose 15 points to start the Chase, if NASCAR stays consistent in their post-race failure penalties. That would put them 16th and 9 points behind the 15th place team.

CORRECTION: NASCAR is saying penalties will be assessed before the points are reset. Makes no sense at all. Kind of like the 31 and 42 penalties last week. I think Chase drivers should lose the 3 bonus points (for a win) if they are already locked into the Chase.

#35 ·
He said nothing that wasn't true or as he put it, "Google it", but boy he had a few iffy choice of words.
I think one can argue there, he flat-out called him bipolar. He also insinuated that the Ward/Sprint car incident was intentional.

It's obvious Ryan is still steamed about his dismissal from SHR in favor of Harvick and his poor performance in the last 2-3 seasons isn't helping things.

#39 ·
What did everyone think of the 1st race of the Chase? Hendrick looked good for the first time in weeks, Truex team won and look to be best team out there right now. Harvick and Larson are behind the 8-ball already. Should make for some good racing in Loudon.

Sidenote: Will RCR be 0-for-100 since their last Cup win after this weekend? They are 0-for-99 since Harvick won at Phoenix in 2013.

#40 ·
What did everyone think of the 1st race of the Chase?
I didn't even watch.

I did see Truex (and Johnson) failed post-race inspection, did anything come of that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.