GM Inside News Forum banner

SCOOP: The Mid-Engine Corvette Will Likely Be Confirmed in 2016

27K views 102 replies 55 participants last post by  SVTKAR3 
#1 ·
SCOOP: The Mid-Engine Corvette Will Likely Be Confirmed in 2016
Corvette Forum
By Dallas Williams
January 26, 2016

While there’s been chatter that any mid-engine supercar project could be branded a Cadillac, we don’t think that idea will pass muster. Corvette godfather Zora Arkus-Duntov long dreamed of a mid-engine version of America’s Sports Car, and generations of protracted teasing seems to ensure that GM will make good, and brand the next-gen car a Corvette.

Expect GM to be selective among Chevy stores authorized to sell and service a mid-engine Corvette. The company will select dealers based on the familiar metrics of location, sales volume, relationship, quality of facilities, and customer service record. Ultimately, the production quantity will be so low that neither the Chevy badge, nor the Chevy retail experience will prevent them from selling out.

Our source says the automaker is already several years into the mid-engine Corvette project, and is nipping at the point of no return. Barring some dramatic developments, we’ll see something from Chevy targeted against the Ford GT sooner rather than later. The car is likely in validation now.
*Full Article at Link

See less See more
#82 ·
Given the C7 uses a transaxle, some of the mechanical parts are there, then again the C6 used a transaxle and it was not used to make a mid-engine Corvette.

Granted there are many other mechanical parts required to make a Front Engine RWD chassis into a Mid-Engine one, so it will be interesting to see how (if) GM creates the Mid-Engine Corvette.

#8 ·
I suspect if Corvette goes the 2-platform direction, it will primarily be to meet homologation spec--which is also likely the neo-Ford GT's raison d'être. They will be super expensive, super rare, on every magazine cover, in every video game, and will also have exactly zero bearing on the $50-$100K sportscar question. So long as they keep the standard Stingray available, then more power to them. The minute it gets too expensive, I expect the same fate as the Viper, which cannot even clear 1K sales in a year despite the ACR owning many a track record.

#11 ·
I am 45 years old and have been following GM since I was 15 . I can count at least 4 occasions in my lifetime in which I heard that a mid-engined Corvette was going to be happening "soon".

This time may be different, but I will believe it when I can down to my (reasonably) local high-volume Chevy dealer and buy one.

#14 ·
I'm not a fan of these ever more expensive corvettes as at a certain point I have to acknowledge I won't be owning one. Selfish consideration not withstanding.

I'm sure if the corvette team builds this mid engine super corvette it will trounce the best of super cars out there in performance. For that I have no doubt.

That alone will give me a few laughs as the pedigree crowd will complain the loudest.

Personally I don't think gm needs a mid engine corvette but if it happens I'm sure the magazines will rave.

I don t think it will be good for front engine corvette sales.

Jmo

#25 ·
I'm not a fan of these ever more expensive corvettes as at a certain point I have to acknowledge I won't be owning one. Selfish consideration not withstanding.

I'm sure if the corvette team builds this mid engine super corvette it will trounce the best of super cars out there in performance. For that I have no doubt.

That alone will give me a few laughs as the pedigree crowd will complain the loudest.

Personally I don't think gm needs a mid engine corvette but if it happens I'm sure the magazines will rave.

Jmo
I have to disagree. If a mid-engine Corvette becomes reality, it will be a halo model, and would only burnish the brand. There's no reason to think a mid-engine Corvette will be a replacement for the existing Corvette, nor is there any reason RWD sales would decline with the existence of a mid-engine Corvette.

#15 ·
I've said it a few times before and I still believe they should make Corvette a sister division to Chevy kinda like Scion is to Toyota. Only allow the dealers that will invest in the infrastructure for a separate area and training for a select few service members. and as dslay04 said why not allow Cadillac dealers (not all) to have this same sister division.

Have three models, a Stingray, a super car (Ferrari competitor), and a intro car (Fiero type of car). Chevy dealers could sell Camaro's in this same area and Cadillac dealers could include there V series cars to this part of there dealership.

#17 ·
From what the article says, it sounds like they're planning an ultra low volume GT-like Vette out of the gate, to be followed later on by what I would imagine would be a much cheaper version coupled with a Cadillac twin.

We've heard as much as "pencilled in" by an insider friend we have here.

Jmo
If it happens, I think it'll be interesting to see how it might drive sales if at all.

I've said it a few times before and I still believe they should make Corvette a sister division to Chevy kinda like Scion is to Toyota. Only allow the dealers that will invest in the infrastructure for a separate area and training for a select few service members. and as dslay04 said why not allow Cadillac dealers (not all) to have this same sister division.

Have three models, a Stingray, a super car (Ferrari competitor), and a intro car (Fiero type of car). Chevy dealers could sell Camaro's in this same area and Cadillac dealers could include there V series cars to this part of there dealership.
Cadillac needs to separate its own dealers, first and foremost.

There are plenty of them connected to Chevrolet dealers that don't move any product and should frankly just be shut down.

Whatever they do, they need to make more Corvettes. Cadillac needs synergies with the rest of the GM stable as it's the only way it will be able to compete without the global reach or volume of its competitors, and Corvette is the ONLY "brand" that could support higher end sports cars outside of Cadillac.

#18 ·
The article claims the C7 was budgeted $500 Million, and went over budget to a sum of $1 Billion. I've read (according to Bob Lutz) that the budget for C7 was $250 Million.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a24768/bob-lutz-on-the-mid-engine-corvette/

No way would they be able to go over budget by $750,000,000.

Next, I'm sorry but it would be suicide to price this car at $400,000. Ford did that with the new GT because they saw that their 2005/2006 GT went to those prices after they sold out at dealers. It also has the history of LeMans. But, I think they will have a hard time selling more than 2 years worth of production at those prices. GM will have a lot of cars sitting on lots if they shoot for that kind of money. $140,000 will be hard enough, but doable in my opinion.

The details of that article seem like they were pulled out of thin air, IMO.

#46 ·
Next, I'm sorry but it would be suicide to price this car at $400,000. Ford did that with the new GT because they saw that their 2005/2006 GT went to those prices after they sold out at dealers. It also has the history of LeMans. But, I think they will have a hard time selling more than 2 years worth of production at those prices. GM will have a lot of cars sitting on lots if they shoot for that kind of money. $140,000 will be hard enough, but doable in my opinion.
If you read, it sounds like they're not producing anything resembling a relevant amount of them either way. It'll be the same ~300 diehard Corvette/Chevy/performance fans that buy it just like that buy the GT.

In a real 'mass' production car, I agree. $130,000–$175,000 is about where I imagine a halo Vette like this sitting (optioned up).

Will this add more to the theory/rumors of a three-tier Corvette lineup?

Manta Ray (Opel GT)
Stingray
Zora
Again, it sounds more like it would be:

Stingray
Manta Ray (mid engine post-Zora)
Zora (limited production run pre-Manta)

Don't forget E-Ray.

I hope if there is a mid engine corvette there is also the option of a dual clutch transmission.

Hopefully the mid engine corvettes extravagant price tag will allow DCT and the migration down to the front mid engined corvettes transaxle..
And I hope it gets popped into Cadillacs. For what it's worth, they apparently looked at a DCT for the C7 but no DCT could fit that would handle the Z06's torque.

I think they're finally going to get around to building their NSX...except this time it's going to be Hybrid.

Since we're playing speculation this is mine.

Like Ford, Chev uses a competition engine design. Prime candidate in my opinion is a street legal version of their Indy 2.2L TT V6. However I see GM going Hybrid.

Hybrid is the next performance battle ground, look at P1, LaFerrari and 918. The NSX has gone hybrid, the GTR is going hybrid, the 911 is going hybrid...

So in my meandering opinion, the mid-engine corvette, should it come, will be a twin-turbo, AWD, hybrid V6.
I see two possibilities, both centered around the aforementioned TT LT4 variant.

1) a RWD P1-like car that's ALL hardcore RWD (Zora)
2) a 918-like AWD hybrid (E-Ray)

Amen to that. If GM makes the colossal mistake of ONLY offering a (I wouldn't even offer it) manual transmission, it'll suffer the same fate as the Viper. No Super Car offers manuals anymore. The mid-engined Vette better come with a proper DCT or it'll be DOA as far as the media is concerned.
I know everyone will yell at me that manuals are fantastic and that DCT's are garbage, but it doesn't matter what us enthusiasts think, it's about sales and upping your competition!!!
Keep the manual for the regular Vette. As a matter of fact, a proper DCT and real paddle shifters (not the plastic ones GM uses, besides in Cadillac) would do wonders for the C7
Manuals are garbage and DCTs are a divine gift from the heavens.

A DCT with semi-auto shift functionality and redundant paddle shifters would please everyone but the 5 people who still want manuals PERIOD.

You get to drive a manual and slip it back into auto when you don't feel like shifting. It's ideal.

Pardon my french, but why the fcuk
For real?

#24 ·
I hope if there is a mid engine corvette there is also the option of a dual clutch transmission.

I like that technology with a sport mode and dam those DCT s shift faster than Humans could...

For a super car it's mandatory to make sure the magazine testers get the acceleration times...

Once hp ratings went over 350 hp launching these sports cars became too tough for most magazine editors....hence the allure of DCT became obvious...

Not only magazine testers but owners could more easily access the cars performance off the line and on the track...

Some say not as much fun but I feel was pretty cool.

Hopefully the mid engine corvettes extravagant price tag will allow DCT and the migration down to the front mid engined corvettes transaxle..

Reactions: sfbreh
#28 ·
I'd rather the money be used to make Avista a GO. Buick needs a proper halo vehicle. Not yet another low volume Chevy sports car.

However, I think this is just the 27th time in Corvette's history that a mid engine car was announced.

Reactions: BlueMontreal
#29 ·
just like many things, the day its in the showrooms i beleive it.

one thing i like about the corvette that no other brand has is the rear hatch. really allows it to be a weekend getaway cruiser.

#31 ·
There is that full throttle up shift that is quicker shifting than a PDK from Porsche or Ferrari but in other driving situations....I personally prefer the performance and driving FEEL of the PDK ..

That one aspect of driving has eluded corvette engineers. The PDK or Ferrari shifting driving experience of the dual clutch is more direct in feel than GM s impressive 8L90.

I could tell immediately when accelerating and driving around curvy roads the PDK or Ferrari dual clutch transmission offers a DIRECT DRIVING EXPERIENCE OF A MANUAL TRANSMISSION VEHICLE THAT TORQUE CONVERTOR CARS DONT HAVE.

I wish the torque convertor automatic could mimic the direct driving feel that a PDK offers as a manual sports car enthusiasts I realize the computers of both PDK or 8l90 transmissions shift faster than I ever could muster with nothing near the consistency..

If gm is going to offer a big buck mid engine wonder....just look at the sales of the new A8 c7 z06...

Still most enthusiasts like myself are hopeful for a dual clutch transmission will be offered in the c7 z06 ...

I can t decide if I want a manual m7 or A8 transmission c7 z06...yet if there was a dual clutch there would be no hesitating which I would buy.

PDK or Ferrari like dual clutch without question....and I'm not alone.

I would pay 3 grand more for PDK like Porsche charges in the boxster s or 911S for a DCT in corvette..

Hopefully the mid engine corvettes use of a DCT would allow for its migration to transaxle front mid engine corvettes...

#32 ·
I think they're finally going to get around to building their NSX...except this time it's going to be Hybrid.

Since we're playing speculation this is mine.

Like Ford, Chev uses a competition engine design. Prime candidate in my opinion is a street legal version of their Indy 2.2L TT V6. However I see GM going Hybrid.

Hybrid is the next performance battle ground, look at P1, LaFerrari and 918. The NSX has gone hybrid, the GTR is going hybrid, the 911 is going hybrid...

So in my meandering opinion, the mid-engine corvette, should it come, will be a twin-turbo, AWD, hybrid V6.

#34 ·
Would be cool if there was a flat battery pack half the size of the bolt in the middle of the chassis powering the front wheels while the 750 hp supercharged v8 to power the rear wheels...

That would be a tour de force to rival the Porsche 918 or LaFerrari...

I think gm could do that million dollar super car competitor for 200 grand..maybe a quarter of a million...way beyond what I'll be spending but it would get a lot of press for crushing the LaFerrari or Porsche 918 or even the McLaren competitor..

This type of mid engine corvette would not hurt front mid engine corvette sales.

Reactions: BlueMontreal
#33 ·
If there is going to be a mid-engined Corvette, it should be Boxter/Cayman sized and priced. A front engined Corvette should always be the the top model. I would make sure that there would be at least three versions of the mid-engined vehicle: mild, sport and race. It would be great to see the race version taking on the likes of the Cayman GT4.

#37 ·
Waste of resources. For the amount of people who would actually buy it would be super low. Front engine is what makes it unique. Not like those mid-engine toilets on wheels that europe produces.

Reactions: JBsZ06
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.