GM Inside News Forum banner

SCOOP: The Mid-Engine Corvette Will Likely Be Confirmed in 2016

27K views 102 replies 55 participants last post by  SVTKAR3 
#1 ·
Corvette Forum
By Dallas Williams
January 26, 2016

While there’s been chatter that any mid-engine supercar project could be branded a Cadillac, we don’t think that idea will pass muster. Corvette godfather Zora Arkus-Duntov long dreamed of a mid-engine version of America’s Sports Car, and generations of protracted teasing seems to ensure that GM will make good, and brand the next-gen car a Corvette.

Expect GM to be selective among Chevy stores authorized to sell and service a mid-engine Corvette. The company will select dealers based on the familiar metrics of location, sales volume, relationship, quality of facilities, and customer service record. Ultimately, the production quantity will be so low that neither the Chevy badge, nor the Chevy retail experience will prevent them from selling out.

Our source says the automaker is already several years into the mid-engine Corvette project, and is nipping at the point of no return. Barring some dramatic developments, we’ll see something from Chevy targeted against the Ford GT sooner rather than later. The car is likely in validation now.
*Full Article at Link

See less See more
#47 ·
The present Corvette is a stones throw of some of the very best massed produced sports cars in the world. If or when, Corvette goes to a mid engine platform, that will be the icing on the cake. A mid engine sports car 2/3/4 or more time less money than a Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Aston Martin - what ever the brand you put up against it. You will have a hell of a fight on your hands for superior abilities on the road or at the track. This should earn Corvette the respect in Europe and possibly many more sales than they presently are getting.

#48 ·
I really believe space constraints for a DCT in the c7 is nonsense.i imagine that could be resolved if Porsche could manage it with their cars that used to have their torque convertor tiptronic.

I just think gm wanted their 8L90 to be used as they got the performance out of it.

The one aspect gm forgot was driver feel. The DCT in street driving is superior in the DCT s DIRECT DRIVE CONNECTION THAT DCT S OFFER.

It's a subjective quality that transcends quantitative data collection.

#55 ·
What about a super sport SUV a la Porsche Cayenne. Corvette will become an independent brand I would bet in this. The lineup will be as follow; Stingray ( as we know it), Zora ( the mid engine 899hp), a smaller one using a modern version of the Solstice and a sport SUV. That decision will be making so much money no one will believe it

#56 ·
Corvette Forum
By Dallas Williams
January 26, 2016

*Full Article at Link
I think GM pretty much will have to build the mid engined one to compete with Ford gt..
I only wish they go with more rounded curved design,,all these edgy supecars looks rediculous imo..
Curves are always sexy..for example

https://youtu.be/LIO5c12ocBQ

#65 ·
Good news I think. Does this make Corvette a division ?

#68 ·
GM will employ a sophisticated derivative of the LT1/LT4 engine family with gasoline direct injection and two turbochargers. It will produce in excess of 700 horsepower
What does this mean?? How will it be sophisticated in comparison to LT4 version?

Nah..it will probably be 3.x l v8 TT with 10000 rpm. We heard rumors about that engine 2-3 years ago. It must be true.:D

#73 ·
If the Mid-Engine Corvette is produced, GM must permanently spin Corvette from Chevrolet.

Only the best Chevy dealers will be allowed to offer Corvette vehicles which will give them reason to get their act together.

Buick-GMC and Cadillac dealers would be able to sell Corvette Vehicles (again only if they meet certain quality levels).

Corvette would get their own stand alone dealers in exotic sports car markets in the U.S. and globally where they will be the predominant retail outlet. No Chevrolet dealers outside of N.A. would be able to offer Corvette vehicles, only Buick, Cadillac or Opel/Vauxhall dealers that meet the standards required.

#81 ·
DCTs are great, but only if they're done right. A bad DCT will ruin an entire car, while a great DCT will make a car special.

The Focus's PowerShift (I call it Power****) 6 speed DCT is awful. One of the worst transmissions I've ever driven to be honest.

The DCT in Porsche cars? Ungodly. Incredible. Porsche's Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) is the best transmission in the world IMHO. It's just so damn good.

Can anyone list a better overall transmission than the PDK? I really don't think there is one.

#88 ·
Can anyone list a better overall transmission than the PDK? I really don't think there is one.
Yes, a manual. TR6070..... TR6060..... Even a T56......

#83 ·
GM should offer 2 to 3 variants of a Mid-Engine Corvette.

Base - "Tuned" version of engine in base RWD Corvette
N/A Performance - Top Corvette powertrain
HP/Electric - Combination of gas engine and electric

The "base" model will create sales volume and build a future owner base for the top end model, the "mid-level" trim provides performance to compete with other "conventionally powered" competitors and the top level to build the Corvette Brand image and prove out the "basic" components of a Gas/Hybrid system for use in higher volume gas/electrics.

#96 ·
Rode in my first vette at 8, fell in love. Included my continued requirement of a daily driver Corvette in my proposal to my wife. Daily for 30+ years and two in the garage now (vettes - not wives, but I still have the original wife too). As mentioned, the various car rags have assured us several times in the past that a rear-mid vette was on the horizon. HOWEVER, in none of those past occasions did multiple GM management personnel make public statements that a rear-mid is probable. ALSO, the ZR1 proved that a $100k+ corvette - even one that looks VERY MUCH like the "base" vette - will sell. The right package of UNIQUE, TASTEFUL design and Corvette performance will sell even better, IMO.
I have, and will continue to skip the C7 gen because I detest the horrible rear end design. Even it's great performance does not off-set that rear in my eyes. If the rear-mid vette DOES make it into production AND if they wrap it in a world-class-exotic-competitive design, then I will be one of the first in line. If they keep that C7 rear - my C6 will stay in my garage forever.

#100 ·
I forgot how beautiful CERV III was... I still think if GM had built it, awd w/ turbo LT5, it would have been an icon like the 959... so in short, go big GM!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.