GM Inside News Forum banner

Rumored Ford Announcements for NAIAS. Lots of Performance!

17K views 71 replies 35 participants last post by  Extreme4x4 
#1 · (Edited)
#5 · (Edited)
Seems counter intuitive to the spirit of the GT. Maybe electric hybrid?

edit:
The one thing that works against a Ford GT going into production this year is where are the Spy Shots? Ford is good, but they can only keep the car under wraps to a point before taking it on the road or track.

Maybe this will be a "concept"

#22 ·
I'm sure it was needed to get to where they are today. They are not too far removed from Mulally. In fact, he still has his hands on the rudder, in an unofficial capacity. This tells me he was behind all of this, for these kinds of breakouts don't happen overnight.

#25 ·
Dequindre

You mentioned in the first portion of your post that you "give credit where credit is due", yet your post had not one good word to say about Ford. Your bias is showing.
You're banging pots looking for something that's not there just like nearly every other one of your attacks. He says he likes to wait and see. Ford has neither officially announced, nor shown anything for him to give credit where credit is due. Please go back to FIN and stop showing your bias. Your efforts to encite are not welcome.

#31 · (Edited)
I rallied for a GM Full Size Pick Up to be "Lifted Off Road from the Factory" 3 times a year though out the 90's at GM Product Plus Training. I finally asked the Trainer "Whats the point of these suggestion cards?"

Now I realize that I am a Canadian Car Salesman, representing about 9% of GM's NA market.

The Instructors exact words were "Yes Canada is a small part of GM's NA markert, but they sell 21% of GM's full Size pick ups. Write down your suggestion and they will be heard."

5 years later we got the ZR2 High Rider. Totally missed the mark!

Now I know that the Raptor, doesn't set any Sales Records, but it does sell at full list, and can anyone think "Brand Image?" The Raptor has done for Ford, much what Corvette has done for GM. But a lot quicker than 60 years.

#26 ·
Pot............ Kettle...............

Good grief. :rolleyes:

Is kiddy hour over?? For one thing, Guy is not biased.............. much. :) That said, the Raptor is a given, as they have been seen out testing. I don't put the ZR2 anywhere in the same ballpark as the Raptor, but that is not a bad thing as there is plenty of room for all different kinds of players. The GT350 is a given, and if you actually look at any of the video on "the Ring" it is quite obvious that there is another version running around, so the R is also a given. The GT?? Who knows. It was already announced the Focus RS would come here in some capacity, so that certainly isn't a stretch, and the ST's are already here, so upgraded versions from the MCE's are also a given. So, short of the GT, it is pretty much common knowledge that all listed are coming.

As for the Mulally slam................. really?? all of the performance vehicles coming out in the next couple of years happened under his watch. I love the world of instant news, where vehicles are conceived, and prototypes built and tested................ all in a few months.

Really, the only places that GM is falling down is in performance versions of the Cruze, the Sonic, and even the Malibu. Special edition trucks have also been a weak point. Ford should have had a Fusion ST out by now, so they are slacking there also. Everyone should remember that Ford can respond faster, due to their smaller size, massively less red tape, and only 2 brands. It would be silly to expect GM to do the same. On the other side, Chrysler is faster than Ford, again because they are smaller and more nimble.

That said, back to the regular scheduled fully expected posts from the usual suspects. :D

#28 ·
I know huh. :D

I expect that kind of stuff from my 12-year-old (going on 18). It does give a chuckle, however. Well, that and a shake of the head. :)

These are great times. There is a lot of great stuff coming out from every direction. As enthusiasts, we should applaud that.................. not try to diminish the effort if it doesn't come from our favorite. I guess I just look at things differently................... well of course, how silly of me. It's because I'm a girl. LOL

#43 ·
It's simple... GM wants to be a soulless entity like Toyota.

Ford and Chrysler want to be the Ford and Chrysler of the Big Three days.

I can't be fully pissed at GM, because the company makes some killer performance cars. But, as usual, their efforts are mired in bureaucracy and lack a clear direction. Not to mention, there is NO affordable performance at GM.

#47 ·
GMC is just a rebadge of the Chevy that is trying to go upmarket with their rebadges and trying to separate themselves from blue collar anything. It's really interesting that everyone made fun of rebadge Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, and myriad of other GM products, but GMC is doing really well and no one says much about it being a carbon copy of a Chevy. Go figure.

#49 ·
Has anybody here actually been in, driven, or looked over a Ford raptor?

If you spend some time with one you will see first hand it is not all it's cracked up to be. The aftermarket creates much better components for both GM and Ford. I know camburg and fox are tier 1 suspension builders but when you look at what they use on the raptor it seems like it is their lower end parts. Hence why the aftermarket has upgrades for even the Raptor. Also it is a pretty slow truck compared to mine. Mainly due to that extra 700-1000 lbs it is lugging around. I think the draw to the truck is that a manufacturer actually builds something like that. But I am telling you, you can build one on your own that would be much better and much faster. And much more comfortable. Those raptor seats are the same hard flat seat bottoms as any other f150.

This is what I am talking about: mzoffroad.com

#63 ·
I'm betting that less than a third of Raptors sold ever go more than soft roading. The Raptor is an exceptionally capable platform that like any other off road vehicle sold will be altered by those who actually off road with them. For the rest its an ego trip, which is fine, great even for Ford's bottom line and the F-150's image.

#58 ·
If GMC can not differentiate itself from Chevy then in the long run GMC might be in trouble (I think this is why GMC is trying to get unique products). I think moving into Hummer territory is a smart move for GMC, I also think that the GMC granite concept would have made a cool car (I probably would have purchased one if it was made).

On the part of Ford the real surprise would be a follow up to the Ford GT. The real question here is what would that car be, and how will the car be marketed.

Honestly I think they should make a car along the lines of the 289 Daytona Cobra coupe. Make it a front mid ship with a base price around $50,000 to $55,000 with a 450BHP V-8 engine and aim for about a 3,000 pound curb weight. They can make this a regular model and offer higher performing versions of this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.