GM Inside News Forum banner

RUMOR: 2017 Camaro ZL1 to get 777hp?!

28K views 60 replies 36 participants last post by  ThosYoung 
#1 ·
This should totally be posted in the GMI Rumor section but I'm blocked from posting in that section.

I was just looking on Wiki for info on the Gen V LT4, and granted, being user offered info it isn't exactly the greatest news source by far, but there was an entry on it that says the 2017 Camaro ZL1, marked with "LTK" will make 777hp. Which one of you knuckleheads edited the wiki page just to mess with people?! :lmao:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_small-block_engine#Generation_V_.282013-present.29

#56 ·
Even if it made 727HP and 727TQ that would be enough to steal the stage from the Hellcat and still provide drivetrain reliability.
My concern is that Chevrolet squeezes a bit larger rear tire like a 315/35-20 in the wheel well. The Z06/Z07 has a 335/25-20 tire for it's power. The Hellcat has woefully inadequate 275/40-20 tires.

#57 ·
The 2017 Camaro ZL1 uses 285/30ZR20 front and 305/30ZR20 rear tires. Final HP isn't announced I don't believe, but I would expect 640 HP based on confirmed LT4 use and the CTS-V rating. It might be rated at the full Z06 650 HP, but I wouldn't expect higher unless there's some LT4 changes up Chevy's sleeve that the ZL1 is getting first and we don't know about yet.

#58 ·
I was driving on I-96 for the normal commute, and came upon what seemed to be a ZL1 test mule. Badged ZL1, but looking well used, a Manufacturer plate; I suspected testing a new engine or powertrain.

I see LOTS of Mfgr. plates on all sorts of cars, so I thought of this thread and pulled alongside of the guy who was running a set 70mph in the middle lane, with traffic running faster.

I rolled down the window a bit to listen for a clue, and I heard..... nothing.

I expected a slight rumble or more, but I was shocked to not hear anything.

Maybe he had the clutch in and was idling as I passed.... but I heard nothing.

I wonder if there's EV drivetrain testing being done in the C?

Just a bit after I went by, he whipped into the right lane and exited, so I never got another chance to investigate further.

#60 · (Edited)
Maybe I did discover something....

I found this is being done, by someone else; and just maybe Milford is also playing with the concept. :ponder:

Maybe he saw me roll down the window to listen, figured he'd got made and bailed. :ponder:

I still can't link yet, here's the url though. Take out the spaces.

www .enginelabs.com /news/we-gonna-rock-down-to-electric-avenue-in-a-corvette/

"GM has even patented the names “Corvette E-Ray” and “E-Ray,” as well."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.