GM Inside News Forum banner

Report: Mid-Engined Corvette to be Confirmed This Year

18K views 63 replies 29 participants last post by  commonplay 
#1 ·
See less See more
#20 ·
This has been my concern. If the mid-engine car is sold as a Cadillac, then there is not much of a problem with its being a better car than the front engined Corvette. It's a Cadillac. It's supposed to be better. By adding a mid-engine model to Corvette's lineup, Chevrolet instantly destroys the bragging rights of the owners of its bread and butter. Not only does the Stingray become a red-headed stepchild but even the full-zoot Z06 with the Z07 package also becomes yet another lesser Corvette.

#7 ·
While Corvette Forum has a lot of good information inside of it, it seems like the articles posted to the home page are little more than click bait. The image has been circulating the internet for a while too. I don't have a lot of faith that anything posted there is more than a re drudging up of internet rumors circulating for the last few months. That said, there have been a lot of rumors circulating, so maybe there is something to them this time...

It will be interesting to see how they separate that from the "normal" existing Corvette.

alignment and tire pressures seem to have a lot to do with it, as well as the surface conditions. Some of the times Randy drives it, he praises it, once even claiming it could use another 100 HP. Next time he drove it it was unruly. I trust Randy to be consistent, so something has been up with some of those test cars.

#19 ·
I wonder. These tales have been floating around for so long it's almost an Urban Legend. On the face, it sounds to me that it might be best a Cadillac. I'm thinking the Corvette Faithful like their Front-Engine, Rear Drive lay out and may not take too kindly to losing it.

Reactions: aldw and Dequindre
#24 ·
Just make the mid-engined Corvette TTV6 and AV6 only. The shorter engine is better for packaging a V6 then clutch/converter gearbox then diff. Rather than use a transaxle.

Keeping all the mass between the front and rear wheels helps with accelerative traction as well as limiting polar momentum for sharper handling.

With modern turbo and V6 engine tech you can make any horsepower you want. Just look at the Jag XJ220 from a quarter century ago....

212 mph 550hp - they can double that power today.

;)

#25 ·
Just make the mid-engined Corvette TTV6 and AV6 only. The shorter engine is better for packaging a V6 then clutch/converter gearbox then diff. Rather than use a transaxle.

;)
Maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist but if it isn't going to be a V8, don't call it a Corvette.

#29 ·
Right, if GM is going to spend a whole butt load of cash on a new, mid-engined sports car, it has to be much more than another version of the Vette. That market is covered very well with the Vette. This should be a whole new vehicle, and Caddy has the potential to charge more money for it.

#30 ·
I never quite understand why there are those who always want to take performance product away from Chevrolet. Chevrolet has by far the most connection to racing, at both the professional and overwhelmingly at the amatuer level. Chevrolet dealers have been selling premium price vehicles for a long time... ZR1 Corvettes, the current Z06, Suburbans, and more. What about Cadillac's sales history makes it seem like they would do a better job? The XLR? The Allante? I agree that if the main focus is on luxury Cadillac makes more sense, but if it is on performance, it should be a Corvette, which has been America's sportscar for over 60 years. If they build an all wheel drive mid-engine monster it will fail as a Caddy.

#36 ·
Since it's low volume sell this as a corvette and a Cadillac...

At what this car will cost ....id imagine advertising will happen through magazines and the Internet...

Just create two body styles and two interiors and two engines..

The upcoming twin turbo 4 liter v8 and the 6.2 s/c v8.

Just hope it has a DCT and not the 8L90.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.