GM Inside News Forum banner

next gen Mustang shown on December 5th?

9K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  Dr.Show-Me 
#1 ·
The rumors today point to the next Mustang's unveiling on December 5th in the US and December 6th in Barcelona. Also, hints a "teaser" of the Mustang to be shown to the press tomorrow at the LA media day.

Haven't confirmed all this yet, but this seems to be at least a little bit solid info at the moment.

#5 ·
January2015 is the earliest the camaro could release so the mustang will either slaughter the camaro challenger in its new guise or get its @ss kicked (In terms of sales)

I believe the new mustang will be a huge sales success and camaro will take a hiring sales as the new mustang is shown

As long as the new mustang still offers a 420 + hp v8 and is priced close to where it is ow

#10 ·
I think you would expect the Mustang to move up in it's first year. The key is holding onto sales. The current Camaro did pretty well in this area without any major changes. The next gen Camaro will come out swinging I'm sure. I think the GenV stuff will be more competitive than the Ford engines.

#8 ·
Exciting stuff for the next 15 days. Again, this may be my next new vehicle. Reminds me of the time before the Corvette reveal on 1/13/13.

Mustang is going to get a full calendar year head start on the 6th gen Alpha Camaro too.

#9 ·
I would be driving a 2011+ Mustang GT today *IF* Ford had not put a Chinese made manual transmission in the car. I had read all the reports of problems with it, but honestly thought it was typical Internet Hysteria. I found the one I wanted via a search, and went to trade my car in for it. On the test drive, with less than 60 miles on the odometer, the manual transmission cratered. It showed all the symptoms the "Internet Hysteria" described. I test drove 3 others, and one of those had the bad turbine whine already.

SO.....my point is, I'm very interested also in the new Mustang. BUT, Ford must learn the lesson that at the end of the day, you MUST have a bullet proof drivetrain. Period. Just like the LS3, Tremec transmission, and rearend found in the current Camaro.

#33 ·
From what I've read and seen, it appears to be more a clutch and flywheel issue over the manual transmission innards or shifter.

The issue seems to be the 1-2 or 2-3 shift, and by every account I've seen it reminds me of when the clutch starts to go out. Also, when you look at the fix Ford does to the cars, they seem to focus on the flywheel and clutch.

Regardless, it seems a compatibility issue, and Ford should have learned their lesson 12-15 years ago when they wound up recalling almost everything because they took the cheap route (fan bearings, paint, V6 headgaskets, signal mounted dimmer switches, etc...)

#13 ·
I think that ford should start taking orders 50 years to the day....

That old be a cool NY show event shared throughout the country at ford dealerships.

Televised or on large computer screens in each dealership at the same time the orders begin to be taken by dealer staff.

#24 ·
MY.5 ISN'T A REAL THING.

GM could upstage Ford with any type of big announcement, including an announcement confirming the Omega LTS and the El Dorado, which could garner lots of interest.
Or just about anything else, just not the next generation Camaro, it's just too early!
Yes, but even Omega is too early.

Could pull a Ford. Show a few concepts at Detroit. A concept of the next SS maybe, an evolution of the Code and Tru concepts, even a concept of the GNX.

Anthem? Cascada? ATS coupe wouldn't garner much attention. Debuting a bespoke lineup for Cadillac would be a good move (lol jk, GM doesn't have the balls). LGX debut?

I dunno. Canyon won't be a big deal (I don't think).

I had thought of that. It would take quite the announcement to top a new Mustang debuting. What could they do? like you, I've got nothing, but maybe they can pull something out of their hat.

As I stated earlier it would be nice to see GM pay the game, but with the Corvette having already debuted and the next generation Camaro being much too far out to joust with I'm inclined to agree with Orbit and say they are going to be hard-pressed to upstage the debut of the 50th anniversary Mustang unless Ford just blows it.
GM's been pretty damn busy and can take a break from big debuts, I think, but they still need to be in the game.

For Chevrolet, Sonic SS would be neat. Special versions of their pickups would be neat. Revised crossover lineup would be neat.

What can GM (not just Chevrolet) do to top the Mustang? Cien pt. 2, CTS coupe concept, CADILLAC CADILLAC CADILLAC

#18 · (Edited)
It makes me wonder if GM should try to upstage them, either on the 5th or in Detroit.
With what on the 5th? Another tape and sticker job of the Sonic? That would really take the wind out of Ford's sails for sure.

Short of showing the 6th gen Camaro I can't see anything upstaging the 50th anniversary Mustang.

#26 ·
A re-introduction of a Grand Nationl or GNX might do the trick. There is a history between the Mustang and Grand National back in the 80's, and actually into the 90's.

#27 ·
Yeah maybe in car fan circles it could. As for Sally Housecoat and Johny Punchclock, the Mustang will be a recognizable name while GNX wouldn't be.

#28 ·
And RHD version may appear at the reveal in Sydney.

From Automotive News.

Automotive News
November 25, 2013 - 12:01 am ET

To make the point that it has global aspirations for the Mustang, Ford announced last week that the redesigned version marking the car's 50th anniversary will be introduced Dec. 5 in six cities around the globe: New York, Dearborn, Los Angeles, Barcelona, Shanghai and Sydney.

At the Los Angeles Auto Show last week, Ford's PR machine confirmed the world's worst-kept secret -- that a redesigned Mustang is in the works -- and announced the global-intro plan. "Mustang has come to be much more than just a car for its legions of fans spanning the globe," Jim Farley, Ford's global marketing chief, gushed in a statement.

So where will Farley be on the big day? He's not saying, but it won't be in the United States. "When I talk to my grandsons, I want to tell them I was outside the U.S. when we launched the first global Mustang," he said.

Put your money on Sydney, so he can add another first: being present at the debut of the first right-hand-drive Mustang.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/201...ting-boss-farley-will-be-in-...#ixzz2lqEcEIGh
Meanwhile, GM with a RHD Camaro? HA! SNOOOOZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Its good to see at least Ford has the courage of their convictions.

I hope they kick GM's butt.

Reactions: Commodoreman2000
#34 · (Edited)
Cant help but think the shape will be ruined like a watered down Jack Daniels whisky, it will get a Ford Fusion with a rounded-off squashed down roof look as it gets pushed out on the world stage to meet crash regulations in places like the EU (Most Europeans l talk to would absolutely love/prefer to buy a good ole 60s Classic Bullet American Pie Stang with all the modern good bits, don't want a EU Stang to be a rounded-off squashed roof dull anodyne turd looking Mondeo type of Stang). It will probably get ruined, and sales will stall after having a short burst a of initial sales. Wonder what engines Ford will install in EU Stangs? a v8 won't sell with $9 gas and sky high car insurance, massive anti-car C02 based taxes, and most of the under 35s don't have a job to pay for one. Maybe the EU will get 1.6 Ecoboost/2.0 Diesel/2.5 Focus RS power plant which will ruin what the Mustang is all about. Should have left the Stang Stateside, and relaunched the very popular Capri on December 5th in Barcelona for outside North America.

IRS will be the best new thing the new Mustang will get, at long last supersonic stingy Ford are spending some $$$ on the Stang getting rid of dinosaur wagon train horse and cart Model-T rear suspension? That disappeared in cars, in places like the EU nearly 30 years ago?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.