GM Inside News Forum banner

Next-Gen Corvette ZR1 Could Crack 700 Horsepower

21K views 108 replies 54 participants last post by  Tinker6.6 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Next-Gen Corvette ZR1 Could Crack 700 Horsepower
MotorTrend.com
February 18, 2013
by Mike Connor

The 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray is finally here and it’s a significant update, but it’s just the first step. We’re already hearing whispers from the Warren plant about the next Z06 and ZR1.

Word is, the next Z06 will keep its monster naturally aspirated 7.0-liter engine, but with even more power. In fact, we hear it could jump from today’s 505 hp to as high as 600. The decision won’t be made, though, until they get the final number for the next ZR1’s supercharged V-8. That engine, we’re told, will be an evolution of the new LT1 V-8 in the base C7. We can only hope it will revive the LT5 moniker of the original ZR-1’s engine.

Full article at link.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very good to hear. (Now if I could just find those winning lotto numbers!) :)

Ironic how we're getting the estimated numbers on Vettes that are still out on the timeline a ways, but we still can't get solid numbers on the Silverado/Sierra engines that are just around the corner!

#29 ·
To push the 700hp mark would make sense for a couple of reasons at least!

~C7
~7-speed Manual Transmission

I see 7's all over the place with the Corvette... and, if they keep the 7.0l LS7... yeeeah buddy!!! :drive:

I'm all for the new Vette pushing 700hp, only if they can relate some quicker lap times, 0-60 times, and continue to wipe the floor with a list of exotics out there.

#25 ·
Exactly 10%.

#11 ·
I thought that is was a done deal that the 7.0L was dead? Don't get me wrong I am glad it will live...

#13 ·
Quite simply put the LT1 upgrades alone without any other changes will make 700 horsepower simply a non issue.

#16 ·
This forced induction LT1 based engine depending on engine internals should be easily capable of over 1,000 horsepower to the ground.

#18 ·
Thank God we will see a LT7. I hope it will sound as good as the LS7. Also let's hope it find its way into the next Gen Camaro and SS sedan.

#26 ·
I'm not certain they meant we'd get an LT7 as opposed to a modified LS7. It would be a major investment and engineering undertaking to make the 7.0L with DI, VVT, and other LT advancements. Would be great if they did, I'm just not sure if that is what the plan is.

#27 ·
The existence of more and more powerful Vettes makes the earlier models less and less attractive ... at least to me. I guess this is the case with all cars, but sure seems more pronounced with Corvettes.

#31 ·
The question im asking myself is when will this horsepower race end? I know the ZR1 has to get more power in the next generation to stay competitive. but wow 700 hp

an Audi S8 can do 0-60 in 4 seconds, that used to be supercar territory. The current ZR1 already seems like a big challenge to drive with all its power and really sticky tires. It will probably be ever harder with more horsepower. The GT500 was mentioned in this thread, and that a fairly affordable car. Will every normal person be at the wheel of vehicules that can do 0-60 in 5 seconds or less in the future?

#35 · (Edited)
To put it very basically, GM got the LS2 or LS3 and did what hot rodders were already doing to them. They enlarged it to 7 liters, and beefed everything up. Bingo, the LS7 was born. With this in mind, I supposed GM could do the same thing to the new LT1 to create a new large displacement LT7. That is, if it was designed to allow this.

For those that don't keep up with performance car that often......Chevrolet engineers have developed a new system called "Performance Traction Management". This is not the traction control, or stability control like we are all used to. With PTM turned on, you are basically able to floor it at the corners apex and steer! The PTM system uses all its brains and sensors to give you the absolute maximum power the track can handle at every given moment as you pull out of the corner and unwind the steering wheel. I have NOT experienced it yet, but drivers I know who are very talented have told me it is "the real deal". That system, along with the latest generation of magnetic shocks are two things that no other car company in the world can offer (except when Ferrari buys it from GM to put it on their flagship).

GM can screw up a lot of things, and seems to make decisions that baffle me at times, but there is one thing GM does better than any other company in the world. Design, Engineer, and Build performance vehicles. Ferrari is garbage. Any car maker that can not figure out how to build an engine that will last longer than 15,000 miles without such MAJOR maintenance is garbage. Porsche has much better reliability, but they can not figure out how to build a performance vehicle for a reasonable cost. Any idiot can build something great with an unlimited budget. GM builds Corvette ZR1s that will run 200,000 miles with nothing but oil changes, can be fixed with a hammer, and are able to do it for a FRACTION of the cost of other builders. Then, the ZR1 performs the way it does. Game over. We have a winner.

As far as Porsche being so great, then why is the Corvette ZR1 and Dodge Viper able to go into Porsches backyard and kick its ass at the Nurburgring? Year after year? By a big margin? For a fraction of the cost? And have a body style that looks like a -man- drives it?

Just sayin.....

#38 ·
The Gen V block is very similar to the Gen IV block so pretty much whatever size the Gen IV can do the Gen V can do. 7.4L Gen V engines should be possible.

On the issue of traction they stated that the Z51 C7 has the traction of the Grand Sport with the use of narrower tires. Also it was stated that the C7 has a 48/52 weight split, so the extra weight over the rear should help.

#39 ·
Obvious news is obvious. I love these sorts of stories. They get tons of hits off basically no information outside of the "no duh" factor.
If you think that GM wasn't going to make more powerful versions of cars that are more powerful than the versions prior, you should find a new hobby.

#45 ·
When it comes to performance at the race track Chevy has really shown that it doesn't have to step out of the way for anyone. The Z06 Corvette is faster then so many cars at Mazda Raceway, it isn't something to be taken lightly. The only Porsche that can run faster lap times has been the Porsche 911 GT2 RS which packs 612BHP.

#46 ·
The ZR1 has no choice but to have at least 700 hp and probably closer to 750. Performance wise, the ZR1 competes directly with the Aventadors and Berlinettas of the world. If the Z06 is going to have 600 hp and it will, the only way the ZR1 makes sense is with a substantial difference in power and torque.

The C6 ZR1 made quite a name for itself globally when it comes to performance. GM cannot back down now. A blown LT1 shouldn't have any problem making 750 hp. If the C7 ZR1 follows up with the ground work laid by the C6 ZR1, the Corvette brand will gain considerable respect as premier supercars across the globe. The C7 is here to erase the "buts" that the C6 had. It is essential that GM follow up with another dominating performance from the ZR1.

#49 ·
While this is great--I have always like the NA route to power, the 427 LS7. I really hope this displacement lives on and it could somehow find a home outside of the Corvette.

#50 · (Edited)
The present ls9 could have easily produced 700 hp from the factory. It was detuned to 638 hp as GM s first edict is safety. GM felt the 638 hp was more than enough to be classified as best in the world at the time of launch.

Should GM executives wish the c7 zr1 to have 700 hp in the seventh generation it will be easily achieved.

Driver control and safety is a paramount concern. PTM5 active safety systems in the present zr1 afford GM the ability to safely allow drivers to go from a more daily driver impala to a zr1 safely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.