GM Inside News Forum banner

Next-Gen Corvette ZR1 Could Crack 700 Horsepower

21K views 108 replies 54 participants last post by  Tinker6.6 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Next-Gen Corvette ZR1 Could Crack 700 Horsepower
MotorTrend.com
February 18, 2013
by Mike Connor

The 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray is finally here and it’s a significant update, but it’s just the first step. We’re already hearing whispers from the Warren plant about the next Z06 and ZR1.

Word is, the next Z06 will keep its monster naturally aspirated 7.0-liter engine, but with even more power. In fact, we hear it could jump from today’s 505 hp to as high as 600. The decision won’t be made, though, until they get the final number for the next ZR1’s supercharged V-8. That engine, we’re told, will be an evolution of the new LT1 V-8 in the base C7. We can only hope it will revive the LT5 moniker of the original ZR-1’s engine.

Full article at link.

See less See more
#52 · (Edited)
I was told over a year ago by a source I cannot mention that:

.....the C7 next generation Corvette would resurrect the name Stingray.

.....the base model would be the GS, and hp. would be boosted to 450-500 with an all new LT engine.

......the ZO6 would be called SS with either the existing LS7 engine, or possibly a TT LT engine with hp. in the 600-650 range.

......the ZR1 would continue as the ZR1 with either a Supercharged, or, more likely, TT LT engine at 700+ hp.

......the GS would have either an 8 spd. auto with p.s., or 7 spd. man. w/ either TC or WC. The SS and ZR1 would only be 7 spd. man. with TC/WC....

WOW! It sounds like some of this info. will turn out to be correct.

#53 ·
I was told over a year ago by a source I cannot mention that:

.....the ZO7 next generation Corvette would resurrect the name Stingray.

.....the base model would be the GS, and hp. would be boosted to 450-500 with an all new LT engine.

......the ZO6 would be called SS with either the existing LS7 engine, or possibly a TT LT engine with hp. in the 600-650 range.

......the ZR1 would continue as the ZR1 with either a Supercharged, or, more likely, TT LT engine at 700+ hp.

......the GS would have either an 8 spd. auto with p.s., or 7 spd. man. w/ either TC or WC. The SS and ZR1 would only be 7 spd. man. with TC/WC....

WOW! It sounds like some of this info. will turn out to be correct.
There are some HUGE flaws with what you have stated that says most of the info you were given was not correct. Which could mean a few things one being that the info this person gave you was so early that it was still very much subject to change. Or B that this person just made stuff up based on guessing and had no clue what they were saying.

For one Z07..... where did this Z07 term come from?...... the Z07 was an after market package offered on the Corvette. The second generation trim was known as Z06 (not Z02) and the 5th generation model was also Z06 along with the 6th generation model. Guess what its still likely to be called Z06 and not Z07..... people who got on the Corvette wagon late probably have no idea what the Z06 was and assumed it was Z06 because it was either a 2006 model year vehicle or it was in the 6th generation.

Also the base car carries the Stingray name, so that doesn't even make sense.

There is currently no Grand Sport model for the 7th generation Corvette, there is just Stingray and Z51 (another older RPO). The C5 had a Z51 package as well as the C6 when it first came out.

LS7 engine is dead, if there is a new 7 liter engine it will be on the Generation V chevy small block V8 architecture.

Information about the C7 having a 7 speed manual or an 8 speed auto was released a while ago. Though at launch the car will still use the 6 speed auto it seems.

#55 ·
700 HP is amazing! The real issue is going to be traction though. I would imagine having the direct injection and variable valve timing would make it a lot easier and reliable to achieve higher power numbers. This new base LT1 is going to be an awesome little motor. Well done GM.

#59 ·
This is good news. It Should have 700 hp.. It's a Corvette. Any hotrod guy knows that 600 is the magic number. You get quickly bored with old standard 400hp and want 500. Once you have 500 it still isn't enough and need more. The moment you get into the 600 range, you never become bored again and are completely satisfied. On the street anyway...

I won't even build racecars without Dart or Motown blocks anymore because of this reason. 600hp minimum.. Stock small blocks can't reliably take the stress of that. Unless you're going with an lsx Bowtie block. I'd expect more from the Corvette..

#61 ·
The current LS9 with nothing changed but the type of forced induction is already capable of making at the wheels what the Veyron makes at the flywheel.

#64 ·
As we also know, The 2013 Camaro will offer an LS 7 engine. My question to YOU is:...Will that be the same LS7 engine that is in my 2009 ZO6, or a new one based on the new Gen V architecture.....
Actually we don't know. The VIN Cards say so but the 2013's have been out for months and you don't generally offer a new engine in a car half way thru the model year.

#68 ·
MT is "hoping" for an LT5?! There's absolutely NO relation to the DOHC, aluminum bedplate, twin port, 5.7L, naturally aspirated LT5. If anything it should be LT9.

The LS9 DOES make 700 bhp...and the supercharger eats about 60 bhp. Turbos can hit 700 bhp with much less boost, and do more tricks than superchargers - i.e. lower boost in 1st gear for better launch, and higher boost in higher gears for more pulling power. I just hope GM designs a REAL supercharger camshaft, instead of just throwing in the LS7 cam.

LT7 should be 585 bhp...it's the magic ZL1 rating. The Z06 is so much lighter, it will out handle the ZR1 even with less than 600 bhp. I'd love to see a 12.5:1 compression, 7500 rpm 6.2L. 550 bhp @ 6750 rpm, 470 lb-ft @ 5250 rpm. I'm praying for oval ports (38mm x 54mm) and 350 cfm - a huge bump in efficiency and port velocity - and the Chevy firing order!

#72 ·
just like the new gen v v8s were supposed to be 5.5L........

#75 · (Edited)
This is very good news and I wouldn't expect anything less from team Corvette. I don't think traction will be a issue and neither will reliability. Tire compound technology has taken a huge leap in the last five years and by the time the new ZR1 debuts, 750 hp shouldn't be any more of an issue than 650 hp is today. :drive:

#77 ·
The ZR1/Z06, whatever they intend to name it, will be a seriously brutal machine. Over 700 horsepower is more than probable. Word is that it will require special waivers to be signed by buyers and mandatory high speed driving school. Yes, it will be that serious.

#78 ·
it needs to be that serious...for 100k, Chevy needs to make it 800hp, 650-700hp should be the z06, and zl1 camaro area, and 500 should be base corvette level, and SS camaro range in a perfect world. save the 300-400 range for a high V6 Camaro...

#89 · (Edited)
GM did detune the Zr1 to 638 hp as they thought that was more than enough to be world class and they were right.

The evolution of PTM 5 even further allows engineers to lift the hp over 700 hp....(along with it's more advanced suspension and tires)

MRC is used to allow better weight transfer during launch too.

Those that pony up the money for a c7 zR1 will have a world class super car.

#98 ·
There is so much torque management in today's cars that it's really hard to get a sense of how much power you have. I mean even LSA equipped cars feel downright docile with only pre-programmed moments of explosive power. Honestly, I'd rather have fewer electronic filters and less power.

#109 ·
The ZR1 would be awesome with more power as many who purchase tend to up the power anyways to extract the much higher power to weight ratio for that over the top feel of driving a hugely powerful street car fast enough to race, which many do also, today cars with huge power wouldn't be very drivable with the aids of electronic control systems and often close to the edge driving is easier with these computer aids, especially at the hands of most amateur drivers and the Nurbergring is a playing field many manufacturers and builders use for a bench mark to test their cars overall ability, very low 7 min times are quite an accomplishment for said street going cars. ZR1 , GTR , 911 Turbo and many others all capable cars. Not that it's not awesome for the price of a stock well outfitted ZR1, an awesome American Supercar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.