New V6 Engine for 2012 Camaro? - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New V6 Engine for 2012 Camaro?

News Contributor Premium Member V8GMT360 Guy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Sierra A/T, 09 Envoy Denali

Re: New V6 Engine for 2012 Camaro?

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    Doesn't E85 have crappy mileage though?
    Yes, E85 does return lower fuel mileage than E10 or E15, which in my experience makes it impractical for daily driving. However, being 105 octane it's basically cheap race gas if you were to build and tune a performance engine specifically for use with E85 (high compression, etc.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1.21 giggawatts View Post
    if the 3.6 was tuned to run exclusively on e85 (~105 octane) and tied in with a turbo, it could make some serious power. look at what saab was doing with the 2.3t's in the 9-5's running e85.
    It doesn't need exclusive E85 tuning. Tuning is recomputed several thousand times a second - you can run anything from ULP-PULP, and any ethanol mix from 0-85% and the ECU will optimise ignition, injection tune instant-instant.

Coupled with the fact SIDI is very resistant to detonation - that's where the gains come from.

The twin turbo bit - the answer's not no, just not now.
    <a href=http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/gallery/data/953/IMG_20131005_120616_418-11.jpg target=_blank>http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/g...616_418-11.jpg</a>

• Barbados Series III CV8 'VT Coupe'
    • 245kW LS1
    • T56 six-speed manual
    • GTO PBR 320mm brakes/DBA 4000 vented discs
    • HSV GTO Wheels

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac ATS

Quote Originally Posted by MelvinJ View Post
    I remember just before it was introduced in 2001, GM had at least 1 off-road race truck with the Atlas six in it, probably just to promote it's "power of a V8" angle. I can't find anything about it online now though.
    Y'know, that sounds vaguely familiar...

Quote Originally Posted by V8GMT360 Guy View Post
    The Atlas family is for the most part out of the picture now anyway, or at least it will be when the GMT355s go away that are currently still using the I4 and I5.

I do remember that they played with the Atlas I6 in the beginning, including a factory built Twin-Turbocharged 4.2L in a TrailBlazer mule. Did 0-60 in 5.35 seconds, too.

Seems like a waste that this engine's development wasn't continued, I think it could have been very usable in further truck and SUV platforms (like as a replacement for the long-in-the-tooth 4.3L Vortec V6.
    Yes, they did have a turbo variant. Completely forgot all about that. The 4200 was one of the smoothest engines I've ever seen. Absolutely no V6 can touch its I6 goodness. The only realistic advantages the 4.3 has over the 4.2 is cost and low end torque.
    Current:

2014 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Past:

2013 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection -> LEMON

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    Doesn't E85 have crappy mileage though?
    Yes, and IMO it isn't as cheap as it needs to be...You get more power, but in the long run I don't think its worth it..
    "What about that "best all-around subcompact car" business? Yeah, we're gonna say it: The Chevy Sonic – manual or auto – is just that. You heard it, Fiesta fanatics"

-Inside line.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Anyone know if they fixed the timing chain issues on the DI motors? The non-DI 3.6 eats timing chains for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Its one major problem from being a great engine. Hopefully they got that issue fixed on the DI 3.6 and 3.0.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by V8GMT360 Guy View Post
    The Atlas family is for the most part out of the picture now anyway, or at least it will be when the GMT355s go away that are currently still using the I4 and I5.

I do remember that they played with the Atlas I6 in the beginning, including a factory built Twin-Turbocharged 4.2L in a TrailBlazer mule. Did 0-60 in 5.35 seconds, too.

Seems like a waste that this engine's development wasn't continued, I think it could have been very usable in further truck and SUV platforms (like as a replacement for the long-in-the-tooth 4.3L Vortec V6.
    Indeed. I drive one daily. It is still a good engine, no doubt.

But I wish the Atlas i6 was in the Silverado as a base engine.

The 4.3 is more than enough for my Blazer though.

And at least its not a Ford 4.0l V6!!
    "It's starting to hit me like a ....ummmm... two ton heavy thing"

Current Car : 2001 Blazer 4x4 *sold

Temporarily driving a 2002 Saturn SL2......SMH

Thanks
    My Ride
    012 Vette 012 Volt 010 Equinox

The current 3.6 was developed for the CTS, and is expensive to produce. I'll bet this one is cheaper to make...otherwise, what's the point?
    Don't think Meat, Throw the ball - Crash Davis

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    The current 3.6 was developed for the CTS, and is expensive to produce. I'll bet this one is cheaper to make...otherwise, what's the point?
    It needs to make a bit more power in order to compete with the Ford Mustang 3.7L motor.

The Camaro Mustang battle will be mainly with the V-6 engines it seems, though a 340BHP 3.6L engine in the 2012 Camaro would be sweet. You can either get the best fuel economy or be the fastest but right now the V-6 Mustang is both.
    Last edited by 63GrandSport001; 01-03-2011 at 08:31 PM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Impalibu View Post
    Sport doesn't have to mean performance and speed. Sport can be semi offroad with a higher tow rating for camping and the like. Just something above LTZ to give it reputation and maybe edge them over the CR-V.
    The 3.0 might make 260 + hp but it only has 223 ft lbs of Torque while the 3.6 DI in the Lacrosse (the tuned down CTS engine) has 259 ft lb's of Torque and 280 hp. I bet the MPG would be only slightly better with the 3.0 or the same because of the weight of the crossover. Also, you can keep the 3.0 as the first V6 and put the 3.6 in the Sport version. The 3.6 DI engine from the CTS or this new 3.6 should be the standard engine in the SRX but I will take it as an option to the 3.0 DI engine. What do you all think ??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SAngelo View Post
    The 3.0 might make 260 + hp but it only has 223 ft lbs of Torque while the 3.6 DI in the Lacrosse (the tuned down CTS engine) has 259 ft lb's of Torque and 280 hp. I bet the MPG would be only slightly better with the 3.0 or the same because of the weight of the crossover. Also, you can keep the 3.0 as the first V6 and put the 3.6 in the Sport version. The 3.6 DI engine from the CTS or this new 3.6 should be the standard engine in the SRX but I will take it as an option to the 3.0 DI engine. What do you all think ??
    If the 3.6 with 280hp gets better mileage than the 3.0 and costs about the same then definitely use that. If not, might as well keep the 3.0. The 300+hp 3.6 should be for a special Sport model.

If the SRX is dropping the turbo engine then they need something to replace it. Ideally the turbo 3.0, if not this new 3.6 would do.
    "never go to bed angry, stay awake and plot your revenge"

Current Car
    2007 Chevy Impala LS

Past Cars
    1998 Chevy Malibu V6
    1994 Chevy Cavalier

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SAngelo View Post
    The 3.6L, whether the existing engine or the upcoming revised one, should be standard. Lexus doesn't make you pay up for a sport version of the RX to get competitive power.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC thebuickguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Impalibu View Post
    Camaro needs ~330hp to match the power/weight ratio of the Mustang V6 or Genesis V6.
    Or the pig needs to go on a diet, I'm just saying its a pony car not a muscle car wait muscle cars weigh less. Also if the car weighs less fuel economy improves, but GM in its infinite wisdom has decided that the zeta platform is God, and the Camaro would be built upon it even though its a full size car platform. Imagine an F body with that motor it would run low 13s all day if not barely run a high 12.
    Last edited by thebuickguy; 01-03-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac ATS

Quote Originally Posted by poncho1982 View Post
    Indeed. I drive one daily. It is still a good engine, no doubt.

But I wish the Atlas i6 was in the Silverado as a base engine.

The 4.3 is more than enough for my Blazer though.

And at least its not a Ford 4.0l V6!!

The boat anchor?

Quote Originally Posted by thebuickguy View Post
    Or the pig needs to go on a diet, I'm just saying its a pony car not a muscle car wait muscle cars weigh less. Also if the car weighs less fuel economy improves, but GM in its infinite wisdom has decided that the zeta platform is God, and the Camaro would be built upon it even though its a full size car platform. Imagine an F body with that motor it would run low 13s all day if not barely run a high 12.

Word of advice, don't call the Camaro a pig. Big argument on that over on another thread.
    Current:

2014 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Past:

2013 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection -> LEMON

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    Word of advice, don't call the Camaro a pig. Big argument on that over on another thread.
    YEAH! You can only say that if you're a Ferrari driver. Or something ...

Thanks

Heavens: they're going to put a turbocharged version into the new big Caddy. Pretty close to 400 hp, I bet.

Maybe I could get used to the idea of a V6 Caddy.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information