GM Inside News Forum banner

LT5 supercharged?

22K views 83 replies 25 participants last post by  ksss 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
Reactions: thechevyisnumber1
#7 · (Edited)
The trucks and SUVs already have a 6.2L normally aspirated engine, the early leaked VIN list that reported the LT5 as being 6.2L DOHC N/A was an error as the LT5 is a 6.2L (safe to say OHV) supercharged V-8 instead. In other words the only DOHC V-8 engine family in development at GM is the one that the 4.2L DOHC TT V-8 is a part of.

And as my best guess would be (which was always my best guess) is that this engine family has bore center spacing smaller then 4.400 inches probably more in line with what the North Star had and what the Coyote has. Translation, that engine family won't be able to go up to 6.2L or larger which makes sense if you consider how big the Coyote is next to the LS3 engine. The Coyote is wider, taller, and heavier while being a smaller block. Lets just say if they made a DOHC 6.2L engine using a block size that is similar to the SBC you would likely end up with an engine larger then the hurricane/BOSS engine. There is no way that engine will fit in the C7 Corvette as is, they would likely have to widen the engine bay to make room for it.

#8 ·
Larger rotor superchargerwith improved downforce (ie. Big wings) and better cooling.

That makes the most sense considering the ease in which all of this can be achieved.

Reactions: impala02
#10 ·
However last time the LS9 came first, then the LSA was produced.....

I honestly think they had no plans to produce a ZR1 Corvette (when they made the C7 Z06 someone stated that they were merging the Z06 and ZR1 into one model). They probably looked at turbocharging the LT4 but settled on supercharging instead.

#12 ·
Wasn't the ZR1 sort of a Wagoner pet project? I recall the code name Blue Devil supposedly because he was a Duke alum?

#27 ·
I think the reason the code name was Blue Devil was indeed to appeal to Wagoner. Whether that was b/c it was already his pet, or they were hoping to appeal to him, I'm not sure.
Sooo, am I alone in being totally not excited about this?

There are so many other performance related products which GM could bring to the table which I would find exciting, this really isn't one of them.
I'm pretty excited about it just because I'm a big Corvette fan and this is going to continue to push the envelope in terms of Corvette and GM performance potential. Due to price and and where I am in life it is unlikely I will ever own one, but I can still appreciate it. It will be interesting to see sales numbers on it.

I had thought it was possible that the car we've seen tested was actually a "1LE" style track pack for both the GS and the Z06, which would explain why the smaller wing car didn't sound supercharged whereas the larger wing car's supercharger whine was very prominent. Having a confirmed "new" RPO code of LT5 makes that pretty unlikely at this point though.

I do agree having sportier versions of mainstream cars would be really nice for GM to focus on though, such as a Sonic and Cruze SS.

#13 ·

There are so many other performance related products which GM could bring to the table which I would find exciting, this really isn't one of them.

#14 ·
You are not alone

You mean something like new Z28 with N.A engine? Or maybe ATS-V with 500+ hp? Or new 4.2l v8 TT for Caddy?
Stop dreaming:D:D

#25 ·
I've been saying this since we heard them lapping the Nurburgring and saw the tall hoods last year, but people swore there was no blower whine. The LT4 actually has very little whine until you really get on it, so it sounds remarkably NA most of the time. I am sure the ZR1 will have a larger displacement Eaton 4-rotor and a bigger intercooler with those enhanced giant grill openings. Over 700 HP seems probable.

Even so, I don't expect that to be the main attraction. I expect the ZR1 is GM's (engineer's) reaction to the critics who find the Stingray to be well balanced, but the Z06 to overpower the chassis. For the same reason, the Z06 has not set the kind of lap records among its peers that the C6 ZR1 did: because it can be difficult to maintain at it's limits. I fully expect the ZR1 to take advantage of aero, barely-legal sticky tires, maybe DSSV shocks, and any other trick in the book that GM has left for a front-mid engine car to embarrass rear-mid engine exotics the way the Viper ACR and previous ZR1 did.

#28 ·
I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more info as its released, but I agree its hard to be excited about something I can't afford. I'd be more excited about some of the ideas mentioned above. Some performance variants of the bread and butter cars and trucks that 99% of us drive. It seems GM is more concerned with the $40k-$100k vehicles, and I understand that. There's a lot of cream(profit) on top when you are selling vehicles in that price range, especially big trucks that are now well over $50k and up to $100k when you are talking about fully optioned Escalades. A Sonic RS to compete with the Fiesta RS, or a Cruze RS (not just a sticker package) to compete with the Focus RS, would be a nice start. A Sport model Silverado short bed, reg cab with a 5.3 and a 6.2L option that doesn't required you to option it out to $50k, but I won't hold my breath, though, as I've given up hope that any of these things will happen. GM has the engines in all configurations to make this happen, but as mentioned above, they just don't have the will.

#40 · (Edited)
It doesn't actually say OHV instead of DOHC.

The engine cover of my 3.6L DOHC says VVT, too.

It may well have been cost that decided the eventual commitment, if OHV is indeed the decision.

I think the bigger news story is possible AWD/hybrid, than which valve configuration it has. This has always been a part of the ME C8 rumors, and perhaps it is an option for the latest C7. They seem to be rumored to share the same basic platform and assembly line.

I still do not see 6.2L in the ME, and that mythical 4.xL DOHC Caddy engine is still unseen and unheard. Moving the engine and hybrid make 700hp unneeded.

But they have sullied the RPO LT5 heritage if it now means OHV and SC'd, rather the NA DOHC legacy it started as, and that's a shame.

I'd guessed the plan was DOHC and blown.

And perhaps the different mules were running different blowers for testing, hence the obvious differences in whine between cars. Still some seemed lower on power, and I think were run as NA.

I guess they don't want to go to LS10, and it was easier to just keep the name they started out designing for, and then changed the subsequent end product, than to change the name to a more fitting one.

#43 ·
If they were really being true to the C4 ZR1 then the LT5 wouldn't be a small block Chevy V-8 as the LT5 in that engine also wasn't a small block chevy V-8 (it was a ground up new engine).

At the end of the day what killed the ZR1 Corvette was the really high price for the car compared to the performance that it offered especially once the LT1 Corvette came out in 1992. For nearly double the price of a LT1 C4 you could go slightly faster and that didn't make much sense. Also the Z51 C5 was putting down faster lap times then the C4 ZR1 (as the focus was more on the whole package).

#49 ·
Where does anyone come up with the idea that the c7 z06 chassis can't handle its 650 hp?

Check the lap records of the lightning lap times the z06 set in car and drivers last test.

Compare them To anyone you choose.

I have complete confidence that the ZR1 will be as road course capable although I'm not a fan of these huge wings that are on so many performance vehicles these days.

I look forward to the 500 hp LT1 rear mid engine corvette z51 which should offer sports cars enthusiasts something both related to previous generation corvettes and something new that will motivate us to trade in our present sports cars.

Keep the faith guys

Corvettes rule!

#64 ·
Hell, Porsche is getting 500 hp from their 4.0 n/a V6 for the GT3 RS and 911R.
This is why I don't see a 6.2L in the C8(s), and if hybrid/AWD, I don't see a need for boost.

As a reason to re-buy, yeah, up the power after the intro, that's kinda what they always do, but to debut, they could do a smallish NA (DOHC) V8, with admirable power, hybrid AWD, and kick azz.

And have premier upholstery.

lol.

I think they want to show up the Italians, for less.

#65 ·
My point was GM just got lazy with their engines. The LT1 is a decent step up because of DI, but the rest, they just throw boost at it. Even then, they don't come close to the level Dodge is making. Let's just hope the next GT500 isn't well into the 700s. I get that GM isn't all about power with the Corvette but the Camaro should at least be somewhat near the competition. The ZL1 got blown out of the water by the last GT500 and Hellcat.

#74 ·
I suspect they went with that blower because 1) they met their power goals with it 2) larger blower would be more power and more heat, and the Z06 has a hard time with cooling as it is.

Reactions: GM Insider News
#75 ·
Your post highlights the poor planning, and it's unintended results.

Overheating issues should not have occurred. They should have been anticipated, tested against, solved in testing, and over engineered against.

That's why they have mules, prototypes, on road testing, and Engineers.

The having to solve the heat soak problem is beyond embarrassing, it's amateur.

While I eagerly anticipate the C8, I cringe at the basic flaws I expect to hear of.

<facepalm>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.