GM Inside News Forum banner

Looks like the Genesis Coupe is about to become a muscle car.

33K views 51 replies 40 participants last post by  Mr.Buttons 
#1 · (Edited)
#14 ·
Re: Looks like the Genesis is about to become a muscle car.

Will probably cost as much as a Hellcat.
...And be slower than the 5.7 RT

They need to turn the boost up on that thing and get it over well over 400 if they want to snipe any potential Mustang GT or Camaro SS buyers.

#3 ·

Not a giant leap forward in horsepower, but a lot more toruqe.

Engine output will reportedly be rated at 365 hp with 379 lb-ft of torque. Compared to the current 3.8-liter naturally-aspirated 3.8-liter V6 engine, the twin-turbo mill provides 27 more horsepower and 84 lb-ft of torque. It is also expected to be a more fuel efficient engine.

#4 ·

If they get the pricing right, it could sell well in the UK and Australia - the Genesis is available with RHD with the V6 but not the the V8 - Hyundai also have a 3.0 V6 turbo-diesel they could offer as well to give a better depth to their sales.

#5 ·

A lot of extra technology and costs for so little gain.

#8 ·

They still make this? Could have fooled me. ;)

#10 ·

OP is smoking something. The Genesis already offers a 5.0L V8 with over 400 horsepower, so this new turbo engine will be a step down in performance.

Regardless, it's slower than a Chevy SS or CTS Vsport (depending which way you want to go with price) and looks to remain that way.

#12 ·

OP is smoking something. The Genesis already offers a 5.0L V8 with over 400 horsepower, so this new turbo engine will be a step down in performance.

Regardless, it's slower than a Chevy SS or CTS Vsport (depending which way you want to go with price) and looks to remain that way.
I think we're talking about the coupe here, not the sedan.

#16 ·

Isn't the present V6 Coupe already way overrated when it is NOT using premium fuel ?? Don't we already know the 4cyl 2.0T was really 245 bhp when run on regular, not 275 bhp ?? I will never believe Hyundai power rating again.

#17 ·

Why don't they put the V8 in the coupe?

#18 ·

Hyundai had a very impressive display at the Australian Grand Prix (Holden and Ford were both conspicuous by their absence) with the whole range on display and no issue with my 12 year old son climbing in, out and on every car on each of the 4 days. The 'hostesses' all looked about 16 though - maybe I'm just getting old.

The Genesis looks good except for the bit on the front grille that I think is a camera cover (although I notice the same thing on Mercs) but is currently a bit too gentile for the mainstream yobbo or bogan to replace his Commodore SS with. The $60K base price would hurt a bit too. I think if Hyundai want the market, it is probably theirs with not much work.

#47 ·

Hyundai had a very impressive display at the Australian Grand Prix (Holden and Ford were both conspicuous by their absence) with the whole range on display and no issue with my 12 year old son climbing in, out and on every car on each of the 4 days. The 'hostesses' all looked about 16 though - maybe I'm just getting old.
The Genesis looks good except for the bit on the front grille that I think is a camera cover (although I notice the same thing on Mercs) but is currently a bit too gentile for the mainstream yobbo or bogan to replace his Commodore SS with. The $60K base price would hurt a bit too. I think if Hyundai want the market, it is probably theirs with not much work.
Had a Genesis 2 weeks ago to review and was mighty impressed with it, the ride was great and it full of features only had the entry level model but everyone that saw it couldn't believe it was the entry level model.
They are going to be fighting with Chrysler for that part of the market when Holden and Ford goes as the 300c will be the only large sedan on the market. They are trying to target the luxury market and I don't think they are quite there yet, stepping out of a Genesis into a V40 Volvo which is no where the top of their range I can see where the quality of materials is not quite there in the Genesis.

#21 ·

Muscle car? No way. But a new engine with more power is never a bad thing. Choice is good, so I like that there's one more RWD sports coupe on the market. I would really hope that they'd include the V8 in the next generation, just makes too much sense.

#22 ·

New gen imminent, with V8 at least in LHD and intimated we'd get it here if there is sufficient demand. I reckon if Hyundai picked up some racing endorsements they could walk straight into the void left by Holden and Ford with performance-oriented RWD. The Genesis V6 coupe is going to be lighter and smaller and probably quicker with a V6 than the EB Mustang and 20% cheaper if the projected price is right. If they overprice it, it will kill it stone dead.

They now have ex-Holden engineering staff working on suspension and steering, so you can't count on the previous mediocre reviews about handling being enough to hold them back in future. Hyundai is another import brand - but so will Holden and Ford in the future. We have a FTA with South Korea, too.

I'd consider a 200-300lb lighter turbo V6 350hp coupe with bags of torque from low rpm over a high-revving n/a V8 Mustang. Provided they get the steering and grip right, it'd be a poor man's M4. And - it's coming here as a manual.

#24 ·

Not a fan of the present genesis coupe. I think it's been a dud in the usa market.

#27 ·

Rumors continue to surface that the next-generation Genesis Coupe will make use of this engine as well as the brand’s 5.0-liter V8 with as much as 450 hp on tap.

If the V8 does become available...this new 3.3 is a nice base engine.

#28 ·

Rumors continue to surface that the next-generation Genesis Coupe will make use of this engine as well as the brand’s 5.0-liter V8 with as much as 450 hp on tap.

If the V8 does become available...this is a nice base engine.
If the V8 becomes available in the coupe, it would be a game changer, at least in North America.

#29 ·

I had a 2011 Gen Coupe Track edition with the 3.8 and a manual. It was a blast of a car, responded really well to mods, and allowed me to turn some great lap times at our local track. The build quality was lacking in places for sure but overall for the $31K I paid for it new I was very happy with it. It was dead reliable as well.

It's not meant to be a muscle car, it's made to compete with G37s, 370Zs, and the like. And it did that splendidly.

I sold it with the intention of buying a new C7, which never happended mainly because of a little one and the need for a back seat but I would certainly consider another Gen Coupe down the road.

#32 ·

Meh... First off their USA web site shows only V8 in the sedan and that lists a base price over 50K with the V8. I can get a new Mustang GT base for low 30s. Same with Challenger R/T. So unless they put the V8 in the coupe and offer at least a base trim level for 35K with the V8 this is NOT a muscle car in the spirit of Mustang and Camaro. If you wanna talk about V8 Sedans then maybe it plays against some of the other luxury options out there. But a luxury V8 Sedan and a V8 Pony car are two different price ranges and two different types of buyers.

Nothing to see here for Camaro buyers. Move along everyone!

#34 ·

When the Genesis coupe first came out, I was pretty amped up about it. RWD, turbo 4 and V6 engines, manuals, expected low price, smaller size...I expected these things to bring in a new era of sports coupes that both GM and Ford would follow.......... the reality was a let down on all sides.

The car weighed as much as the much bigger Mustang V6 and in best form handled worse than the base Mustang. The turbo 4 cylinder that was shared with Mitsubishi and Chrysler never quite got up to SRT4 or Evo engines. The car was priced as much as a Mustang GT. Everything just didn't equal the expectations, and ever since, it's seemed the Hyundai has been making attempts to catch up that are either halfhearted, or beyond their abilities to do.

I want to like the Genesis coupe. I believe future performance coupes will be much like them: smaller, turbo 4s offering low cost performance to the younger generation, V6s that make the cars perform the way today's 400+hp V8s do today in cars that are tossable sized, price competitively, and heaps of fun to drive. But the Genesis coupe (and Hyundai) seems to be incapable of delivering.

It's a shame too. They could have started an entirely new evolution.

#35 ·

When the Genesis coupe first came out, I was pretty amped up about it. RWD, turbo 4 and V6 engines, manuals, expected low price, smaller size...I expected these things to bring in a new era of sports coupes that both GM and Ford would follow.......... the reality was a let down on all sides.

The car weighed as much as the much bigger Mustang V6 and in best form handled worse than the base Mustang. The turbo 4 cylinder that was shared with Mitsubishi and Chrysler never quite got up to SRT4 or Evo engines. The car was priced as much as a Mustang GT. Everything just didn't equal the expectations, and ever since, it's seemed the Hyundai has been making attempts to catch up that are either halfhearted, or beyond their abilities to do.

I want to like the Genesis coupe. I believe future performance coupes will be much like them: smaller, turbo 4s offering low cost performance to the younger generation, V6s that make the cars perform the way today's 400+hp V8s do today in cars that are tossable sized, price competitively, and heaps of fun to drive. But the Genesis coupe (and Hyundai) seems to be incapable of delivering.

It's a shame too. They could have started an entirely new evolution.
Totally agree, but they sort of did start something. Hyundai's fluidic sculpture language that debuted around the same time was the beginning of the democratization of premium design.

#37 ·

It seems to me that they should change the name of the Gen Coupe unless they plan on taking it upmarket.

The next Genesis Coupe needs a much more striking design, and they should utilize that "handling by Lotus" partnership if they are able to do so.

#41 · (Edited)

Speaking of cross-shopping... Before I bought my Challenger R/T in 2009, I almost bought a Gen Coupe. (The only reason that I didn't is that I found a screaming deal on a used R/T, with 740 miles on the odo.)
The original 3.8 V6, in the 3400 lb coupe, had a power to weight ratio almost as good as the R/T. The DI version exceeds that of the R/T.
If they're doing a redesign, they need to get rid of the "carp mouth" grill that was so popular for about six months, and increase the quality of the interior materials. (To be fair, I haven't driven one since the first year version.)
A V8 Gen Coupe? Yeah. I might have to go and buy one. Unless GM builds something that can compete. And I don't mean the Camaro. At least not yet. The "6" might be a different story, but that remains to be seen.
FWIW, I sold the R/T because it was just too damned big to drive anywhere and leave it parked. It would have been riddled with door dents, people being the cretins that they are.

Edit - Didn't see the pics until after I posted. That grill looks much better. Actually looks a bit like a Mazda. Still a little big for my tastes, but I can live with it. :D

#44 ·

The topic title should be edited to include COUPE.

Too many people are confusing the discussion with the Genesis sedan and comparing THAT car with Mustangs and Camaros...
I think you are right!

#45 ·
That's a common misconception.

The next Hyundai RWD sports coupe will be based on the HND-9 concept...

and will be competing in the entry-level lux coupe segment against the likes of the RC and Infiniti's G-coupe replacement.

Wouldn't be surprised if it loses the Genesis moniker as well as it should (this time) be more properly positioned alongside Hyundai's upcoming RWD compact sports sedan and not the much larger Genesis sedan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.