LEAKED! Gen-V LT4... Corvette Z06's new mill??

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LEAKED! Gen-V LT4... Corvette Z06's new mill??

News Contributor Premium Member V8GMT360 Guy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Sierra A/T, 09 Envoy Denali

GM High Tech Performance (FACEBOOK)
    December 6, 2013

A short while ago, GM High Tech Performance Magazine posted a picture on their Facebook feed with the simple caption, "A little birdie dropped this in our lap - the new LT4!?"

By all indications, this new mill is capped by a blower similar to that on the previous Corvette ZR1's LS9 engine. Perhaps an indication of what's to come in Detroit next month? Only time will tell...

Image at link.
    Proud owner of two elegant/classy GMCs:

2008 GMC Sierra "All Terrain" Crew Cab 5.3L/FFV - Stealth Gray Metallic/Ebony
    2009 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3L - Switchblade Silver/Ebony

Future owner of another classy GMC Sierra "All Terrain"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to V8GMT360 Guy For This Useful Post:

Canuck (12-06-2013)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Re: LEAKED! Gen-V LT4... Corvette Z06's new mill??

Considering the DI/FI synergy, they're going to struggle to de-tune this to less than 750 hp, which is too much. That's a nice SC/intercooler cover, much better than the plastic valve covers with faux manifold runners on the LT1, but i'd still rather have a NA screamer.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 GMC HighRider ZR2

Yeah I saw that post awhile ago. I dismissed it as FB Internet lore. It would be awesome if it proves to be true. Regardless I'm sure I can speak for all of us "fanboys" that we would love to have whatever engine/car it may reside in.
    Last edited by ZR2nit; 12-06-2013 at 03:30 AM.
    You can tell that GM really cared about the ATS from day one. If GM cared about all its vehicles that way they would truely be #1.

Past ride: 1996 Reg. Cab S10: LS1 swap, headers, painless wiring, T56 manual, with a built 10 bolt, disc brakes, locker, lowered 3 inches--SOLD TO HELP BUY HOUSE

Current ride: 02 GMC HighRider Zr2: Line-X'd rockers, lifted,33's, winch,manual NP231, & alot more. SOON TO BE SAS w/ D44's on 35's with a 5.3

Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 GMC HighRider ZR2

BTW I'll be the first non troll to say " screw GM!!! They should but this engine in everything from the Spark to the new Colorado!!!"

LOL

You know it's coming in some form
    You can tell that GM really cared about the ATS from day one. If GM cared about all its vehicles that way they would truely be #1.

Past ride: 1996 Reg. Cab S10: LS1 swap, headers, painless wiring, T56 manual, with a built 10 bolt, disc brakes, locker, lowered 3 inches--SOLD TO HELP BUY HOUSE

Current ride: 02 GMC HighRider Zr2: Line-X'd rockers, lifted,33's, winch,manual NP231, & alot more. SOON TO BE SAS w/ D44's on 35's with a 5.3

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Butz's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    DC Metro

Where does this leave the ZR1? Or there won't be a ZR1 this gen?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

I would cream my pants just to have the Stingray let alone a ZO7 ( or whatever they are calling it).
    Last edited by chevypowa670; 12-06-2013 at 05:00 AM.
    "What about that "best all-around subcompact car" business? Yeah, we're gonna say it: The Chevy Sonic – manual or auto – is just that. You heard it, Fiesta fanatics"

-Inside line.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

Quote Originally Posted by Butz View Post
    Where does this leave the ZR1? Or there won't be a ZR1 this gen?
    I was thinking the same thing...If they make a ZR1 I would like the Z06/Z07 and ZR1 to have more of a difference than just a higher HP rating on the same engine...That is why I am kind of hoping the Z06/Z07 has an improved version of the 7.0 V8 ( say maybe 550-560 HP).

Stingray 460 HP

Z06/Z07 560 HP

ZR1 660 HP

I'm down with that.
    Last edited by chevypowa670; 12-06-2013 at 05:01 AM.
    "What about that "best all-around subcompact car" business? Yeah, we're gonna say it: The Chevy Sonic – manual or auto – is just that. You heard it, Fiesta fanatics"

-Inside line.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to chevypowa670 For This Useful Post:

eb110americana (12-06-2013)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC 68CoupeDeVille's Avatar
    Thanks

If I was Mr. GM, I'd be asking "what is Porsche doing" before I did anything with Corvette.

Z06 should mimic the 911 GT cars - n/a with a bit more power and a much more focused approach as a rock star at the track.

Let the ZR1 mimic the 911 turbo with f/i and a very long standard features list.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 68CoupeDeVille For This Useful Post:

AMcA (12-06-2013),sfbreh (12-06-2013)

Thanks

Hate to say it, but I don't really see a 7.0 liter engine (or other larger displacement) coming back for this generation of small-blocks... And I don't see second N/A engine option coming for the Corvette either.

This LT4's 4-lobe technology is proven through the last gen LS9, so GM is comfortable with releasing this as the first hi-po C7. A year and a half, maybe 2 years from now, they will have learned quite a few lessons form the Vsport's TT setup, which they will then be more confident incorporating into the small-block family. At that time they will reveal a twin-turbo Corvette (same 6.2 liter displacement) with a name never seen before.....

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mitton86 For This Useful Post:

Harry_Dunne (12-06-2013),Tone (12-06-2013),VMax2007 (12-06-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 68CoupeDeVille View Post
    If I was Mr. GM, I'd be asking "what is Porsche doing" before I did anything with Corvette.

Z06 should mimic the 911 GT cars - n/a with a bit more power and a much more focused approach as a rock star at the track.

Let the ZR1 mimic the 911 turbo with f/i and a very long standard features list.
    I 100% concur. I'm still hung up on an interview with Tadge last year when he said the LT1 could handle more displacement.

I'm just concerned that the extra 100 lbs of blower and cooling plumbing sitting over the nose will not be countered by some added weight savings to keep the balance good.

I like the blower - flat like my pop's Edelbrock on his C6, and man is that thing a rocket...
    Last edited by Novak454; 12-06-2013 at 07:36 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Novak454 For This Useful Post:

eb110americana (12-06-2013)

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

I found a post from corvetteforum December 2012 that claimed LT-1 at 470 HP, and the LT-4 would be 660. As we know the LT-1 came in slightly under that at 460. If the same holds for the LT-4 that would be 646. So ZR-1 power in the C7 Z-06.

Banned
    Thanks

I am betting only one performance variant for the C7 since it's only planned to be a 4-5 year run before the C8 arrives.

Banned
    Wishing I was Sitting by the Pool with Nicki Minaj
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VMax2007 View Post
    I am betting only one performance variant for the C7 since it's only planned to be a 4-5 year run before the C8 arrives.
    For some reason strange reason I have a feeling that the c8 and c7 coexist. I think that may be the reason why they rebranded this vehicle more so with the name Stingray instead of just Corvette this time. Speculation of course. But like Sfbreh mentioned yesterday, there is also the XLR return to consider

20. The Following User Says Thank You to LovelyMoon For This Useful Post:

sfbreh (12-06-2013)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC 68CoupeDeVille's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VMax2007 View Post
    I hope you're wrong. From what we saw of the model/option progressions through the C5/C6 lineups, I think GM has learned there is a strong market case for a broad lineup. There are Corvette buyers out there willing to pay more to get more. (And finally there's a base-model car sporting a nice-enough interior to be taken somewhat seriously by non-Corvette buyers, giving an even better platform on which to start building premium packages.)

The C5 FRC sold ok. Add a little more power and a little more focus, bring back the Z06 moniker, and it sold gangbusters.
    The C6 Z06 sold great from the start with a nice, fat price tag. Add a lot more power and bolt on a little super-car technology and componentry, bring back the ZR1 moniker, and it sold great with an even fatter price tag.
    For GM to buy themselves time and some easy profit, rekindling interest in the fading C6 while they finished designing the C7, they slapped a few of the performance goodies from the premium models onto the base car, brought back the Grand Sport moniker, and it sold great. Again with a nice, fat price tag.

I'm guessing we will see the Z06 and ZR1 through the C7 range but probably not the Grand Sport.
    Last edited by 68CoupeDeVille; 12-06-2013 at 08:05 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 68CoupeDeVille For This Useful Post:

AMcA (12-06-2013)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I wish they picked a different name. If it is going into the Z06 they should have went with LT6 and for the ZR1 they should have used LT9. I don't like that they are just using the numbers in the same order as with the Gen II engines. Plus the original LT4 was never a supercharged V8.

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information