Grand National, GNX and T-Type Are Returning to Buick

73K views 259 replies 127 participants last post by  jossch 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Grand National, GNX and T-Type Are Returning to Buick
Edmunds
By Scott Oldham
November 26, 2012

Just the Facts:

• Buick is planning to reintroduce the Grand National, T-Type and GNX nameplates.
  • The new models will ride on GM's rear-wheel-drive Alpha platform introduced in the Cadillac ATS sedan.
  • The Grand National and T-Type models will likely use turbocharged V6s, while the GNX will most likely get GM's new LT1 V8.

Buick is bringing back the Grand National, the GNX and the T-Type, three legendary performance nameplates from the brand's high times of the 1980s. All three cars will be sedans and they'll use GM's new rear-wheel-drive Alpha platform first introduced in the Cadillac ATS sedan.

That's the plan anyway, according to a reliable source who spoke to Edmunds.

As in the 1980s, the T-Type and Grand National will share powertrains and suspension calibrations, but the T-Type will be offered in a full color palette, while the GN will come in black only. Details on the exact drivetrain that will be used are still hard to come by at this point.

Buick's current turbocharged 2.0-liter has the right vibe but lacks the muscle, and the normally aspirated V6 has the guts but just doesn't feel right for these nameplates. A more likely scenario is the use of GM's long-rumored, and recently spotted, twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter V6. It's expected to produce between 350 and 400 horsepower, which would be more than enough power in a bad black Buick with a Grand National badge.

So what's left for the legendary GNX nameplate? How about GM's new LT1 V8? We've already confirmed that a V8 will fit in the confines of the Alpha platform, so it's not an issue of "if" it can be done, but one of "how" it will be done.

Full article at link.

See less See more
#111 ·
COUPES

yeah...wake me up when this happens...I may have to change my name to Rip Van Winkle

#82 ·
I hope GM has plans to move Caddy further upmarket cause a alpha based sedan with Buick would hurt ATS sales for sure. Especially if it's bigger than the ATS.

#83 ·
Don't do it. The GN / GNX was at the top of the food chain, much to the dismay of the Corvette team. If they do it, it will play second fiddle to the ATS-V. If it cant be done right and carry the torch as a very high tech icon then it shouldn't be done at all. And for Heaven's sake, stop throwing the GNX name around. Anyone who knows the GNX story knows it's hallowed ground.

#85 ·
When I think of these names I think of the good ol' days when cars where easy to customize, performance-wize. In my opinion, these new offering should be presented just as the Camaro COPO, with a race ready option. All these cars have a heritage in racing and an enthusiast-friendly package that is easily customizable will draw many gear heads in, which could increase popularity among younger buyers. I'm unsure about a sedan, but that's only because I'm seeing this as an opportunity to gain those buyers that were fans of the FIREBIRE/TRANS AM as a more premium option from the Camaro. The possibility is endless. I see a grand tourer option, a drag strip demon, and an ultimate world class luxury/performance coupe. This is interesting!

#91 ·
I go both ways on this
A I would like to see a Buick ALPHA car but can not see GM doing it as
"A" a "raw" muscle car is way outside of Buicks image
"B" I do not see the younger market Buick wants wanting a "RAW" muscle car
"C" the "Alpha GNX" IMHO would put the squeeze on the Camaro and "SS" sedan
"D" the GNX would have to be "less" of a car then the ATS to "protect" Caddy as GM has proven over and over again to do

I would assume that the OPC insignia would be the recipient of the name W AWD and the TT V6 and would "piggy back" the next improved OPC insignia as I do not see any separation of Buick/Opel as GM NEEDS Opel and Buick together for cost purposes

I could see the Caprice PPV/ chevy SS/ NEXT GEN Commie moving to Alpha 2.0 Low cost and hopefully spinning a "Riviera" Coupe and paving the way for assembly in Canada after the Camaro moves to ATS and stateside

#93 ·
I bet it would be a fantastic car that I would be interested in if GM follows through, but I don't think it makes ANY sense at all in the lineup. Isn't this what we have Cadillac for? If it's not going to be as premium...can't it be a Chevy? It's like the XTS all over again. Would rather see the OPC and Adam over here first.

#101 ·
For this to work the ATS would need to include a more upscale interior, drop the 2.5, increase the 2.0 to 300 hp and tq, drop the 3.6 for the turbo V6 in lower and higher ouput forms. Then and only then would a alpha based Buick workout for GM.

#97 ·
Well, this makes sense: Camaro is going to Alpha for the next generation, correct? Well, since Pontiac / Firebird is dead, this is an ideal platform mate for the alpha camaro - except I thought GM wasn't going to duplicate its efforts anymore, now that they've killed Saturn, Pontiac, Hummer, (Olds), and all that badge engineering is a thing of the past (except for Lambdas for EVERY division soon)... oh, never mind...
I hope this Buick is an adult's camaro - a bit more usable of a back seat, more luxury in the sport coupe, but the same level of "go" as a Camaro...
Define "Adults Camaro". No 16 year old kid is driving a new Camaro SS nor Mustang GT like they were when I was young. My grandson makes $7.50 an hour as a cook at night after school. My daughter (his mother) made $7.50 an hour clearing tables back in the early 90's when she was in highschool. She had a beautiful Iroc-Z that I cosigned for. Her wages back then Paid for her Camaro, gas and insurance. No way in hell my grandson could afford the same. It's Only adults such as myself that are buying Camaro's and Mustangs now because it is our generation who can afford them. And as an adult myself who may drop well north of 40 grand on the next Camaro, it sure as hell better not be dumbed down for this Buick.

Now, that said, the Grand National is the only Buick in history I'd ever park in my garage. If they are sticking to heritage though, it needs a turbo 6.

#98 ·
Just a Thought - This car should come out relatively quickly. If it's based on the Alpha ATS or larger CTS, all of the major engineering is completed, and just a matter new sheet-metal, interior fittings, and chassis tweaking. In theory, if this car has been approved internally, there should be test mules on the road late next year.

#100 ·
This is going to happen. GM will make the Regal Turbo the T-Type, the GS will become the GN and they'll turn it up a notch and call it the GNX. We'll get a few suspension tweeks, some minor boost in HP, maybe AWD on the GNX and pricing in the stratosphere.

It won't sell, and GM will quickly cancel the program. Haven't we seen this movie before?

#106 ·
The younger folks might not be aware that the Grand National was a complete throwback car. The body design was ancient, as was the interior; the car was very crude compared to contemporary designs like the Ford Taurus. It appealed to people who wanted something "old-fashioned" from the "good ol' days" when musclecars ruled the roads.

I don't think the GN did very much for the Buick brand, it was mostly loved by folks who would never otherwise buy a Buick.

#108 · (Edited)
I couldn't disagree more!

I must ask, what area of the world did you grow up? How old are you?

"Back in the day" aka the 1980's a regular 2-Door Buick Regal (or Cutlass or Grand Prix or Monte Carlo) was the car all H.S. Kids wanted to own/drive (boys or girls).

The advent of the Grand National just multiplied the coolness factor by about 10!

IMHO you are WAAAAAAYYYY off base.

Not to mention the Ford Taurus was a brand new 4-Door Family Sedan (that came out 2 years after) :fall:

The Regal (along with the others in that family) were redesigned in 1981, still fresh and cool for H.S.'er for at least another decade.

#107 ·
OK, I will add to this nonsensical rumor-filled thread as this rumor and its responses lead to this conclusion in my mond:

Global GM Automotive classes (to be sold world-wide)

Chevy: economy-based, low optioned, emphasis on fuel efficiency, "point a to b" ownership, cheap
Buick: luxury touring vehicles, more features standard than Chevy, options are luxury based, fuel-efficiency to power in its lineup. Competes with Lexus, Infinity, Acura, etc...
Opel: performance vehicles, more features standard than Chevy, options are performanced-based, fuel-efficiency to power in it lineup. Competes with BMW, MB, etc... (i.e. the old Pontiac). commoditized technology/engineering to be sent "down the line" to Chevy when adding that feature doesn't affect price, efficiency, etc...
Cadillac: future-based, max options, emphasis on technology, futuristic engineering, luxury, and "bling". Competes with Bentley, Aston Martin--somewhat less mass produced. Successful products here move "down the line" to mass market but high-end labels (Opel and Buick).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.