Grand National, GNX and T-Type Are Returning to Buick

73K views 259 replies 127 participants last post by  jossch 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Grand National, GNX and T-Type Are Returning to Buick
Edmunds
By Scott Oldham
November 26, 2012

Just the Facts:

• Buick is planning to reintroduce the Grand National, T-Type and GNX nameplates.
  • The new models will ride on GM's rear-wheel-drive Alpha platform introduced in the Cadillac ATS sedan.
  • The Grand National and T-Type models will likely use turbocharged V6s, while the GNX will most likely get GM's new LT1 V8.

Buick is bringing back the Grand National, the GNX and the T-Type, three legendary performance nameplates from the brand's high times of the 1980s. All three cars will be sedans and they'll use GM's new rear-wheel-drive Alpha platform first introduced in the Cadillac ATS sedan.

That's the plan anyway, according to a reliable source who spoke to Edmunds.

As in the 1980s, the T-Type and Grand National will share powertrains and suspension calibrations, but the T-Type will be offered in a full color palette, while the GN will come in black only. Details on the exact drivetrain that will be used are still hard to come by at this point.

Buick's current turbocharged 2.0-liter has the right vibe but lacks the muscle, and the normally aspirated V6 has the guts but just doesn't feel right for these nameplates. A more likely scenario is the use of GM's long-rumored, and recently spotted, twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter V6. It's expected to produce between 350 and 400 horsepower, which would be more than enough power in a bad black Buick with a Grand National badge.

So what's left for the legendary GNX nameplate? How about GM's new LT1 V8? We've already confirmed that a V8 will fit in the confines of the Alpha platform, so it's not an issue of "if" it can be done, but one of "how" it will be done.

Full article at link.

See less See more
#42 ·
From an enthusiast perspective, this is exciting. But from a brand perspective, it's confusing. Buick is finding success with cars like the Verano and Enclave: nicely styled cars with lovely, quiet interiors, nicely balanced ride and handling and decent power. Buick's foray into something a bit warmer: the Regal GS, have not demonstrated there is a huge interest in performance Buicks. Moreover, the brand qualities that do seem to be working lend themselves to a few obvious holes in the Buick line up: a sharply-styled coupe (Riviera), a big, powerful sedan (think a Roadmaster on Zeta or long Alpha) and a nicely styled convertible. All of these would build on Buick's existing strengths and provide dealers with exciting, higher margin cars to sell, without stepping on Chevy and Cadillac's markets.

What a lot of people don't remember is that while the T-Type, GN and GNX were exciting, memorable cars, the goal of the program (to attract younger buyers and build Buick's sales) was not an overwhelming success. There's a reason that Buick abandoned this approach.

#54 ·
Given that EVERY Buick currently available is already a four door sedan or crossover they desperately NEED a coupe, convertible, wagon or even a hatchback. Why mess with GN/GNX history unnecessarily?

#45 ·
Yes please!!! I love GN buicks! This would be perfect and GM doesn't has to worry with Cadillac because Caddy is about upper luxury I mean make the buicks more luxurious than a camaro but not as firm and sporty as the caddys. And with that tt v6 it will be a hit hell I WILL buy one. Is it me or is buick becoming one of the best brand available? I'm so excited :hyper:

#46 ·
It seems to me that the only way to do this is to have the Regal model move to Alpha in both Coupe and Sedan forms! Size it between the ATS and the upcoming Alpha based CTS and give it some styling clues combining the angled look of the original in a sleekness all its own! Offer the base Regal with the 2.5L standard and a NA v6 as an opt. Then do a T type using a more powerful Turbo I4 and the Grand National with a 3.6L Turbo 375HP V6! Then for the GNX they could do an all out 450HP Turbo V6 in somewhat limited numbers and a even more powerful retro muscle V8 GSX model in very limited numbers! That would leave the LaCrosse as the softer mid-Full-sized offering and the Verano as the small sedan offering! Then at the top above the LaCrosse they could do a truly large RWD V6 opt V8 Roadmaster model and borne from it could be a new large RWD V8 Riv as the flagship!

#48 ·
Yep. The Regal will stay as is, but with a coupe and better powertrain options with the next gen.

#53 ·
Damn you, GM! I have had my car less than two months and now you are making me want to buy another one!

#75 ·
GM has announced exactly NOTHING.

Edmunds in NOT General Motors.

I think everyone should calm the heck down.

#55 ·
Hope the rumor is fact. Sure it won't share anything with the original except a badge, but it will help promote both new and old if done well.

I don't think a NASCAR tie in is important anymore, the Grand National name has gone beyond that. The fact that GM has abandoned this name is mindboggling unless
you consider that the time and platform were not right. With everything V6/Turbo/Eco/Save gas the time might be right.

#90 ·

This could have and should have happened when the GTO was introduced to Pontiac and 4 door version G8.
GM could have sold a GN, GNX at an higher price than what Pontiac did. People would have paid more for Buick than a Pontiac

GM should be on gen 2 GN GNX by now.

NOW let me list even if this were true why it wouldn't sell.

1. Price
2. Price
3. Price
4. Price
5. Price......... oh did I say price

People are still not there with paying much over mid-$30k's for a Buick, exception Enclave.
Look no further than the Regal. The Lacrosse is not exactly running off the lots even though some are priced just under $30k.

#64 ·
Pipe dream

#70 ·
The article said sedan.
No coupe = no sale for me.

#72 ·
Everything about this announcement I hope is true notwithstanding a LT1 Alpha Buick when rumors say that even the ATS-V will not recieve the LT1. If anything the T Type should debut with a 350-380 hp TT 3.6, the Grand National with 400-420 hp, and the GNX with a high boost 450-480 hp TT 3.6.

#73 · (Edited)
I let my initial enthusiasm/euphoria settle down and carefully reread the article, and from how it sounds to me, there will be one new sedan, but with performance option levels of T-Type, Grand National and GNX. Though Edmund's is saying it'll be an ATS (compact car) sized sedan, I have a feeling it'll be more inline with the 2014 CTS (midsize). If this all adds up, it'll mean the next-gen Regal is going back to rwd.

#74 ·
So by 2016 as a 2017 model year, Buick MAY have an alpha based sedan probably with some sort of turbo 4 with 270 to 300 HP. That's my guess.

Wishful thinking on Edmunds part.

#76 ·
The GN name is not necessarily NASCAR related. Most kids don't relate the Grand National name to NASCAR..........they just remember it as a cool looking black Buick. Many people don't know or care that the GN was a 6cyl car. Often at a car show I 've seen people surprised that a GN wasn't a V8 turbo.........

#77 ·
The GN name is not necessarily NASCAR related. Most kids don't relate the Grand National name to NASCAR..........they just remember it as a cool looking black Buick.
Definitely agree with this part. I don't think tying in to NASCAR is important at all anymore. The car itself has risen above that.

Many people don't know or care that the GN was a 6cyl car. Often at a car show I 've seen people surprised that a GN wasn't a V8 turbo.........
That surprises me. Anyone who knows what a GN was also knows that it was a turbo 6.

#78 ·
Why in the bloody hell is everyone in the media so thirsty to desecrate the GNX nameplate by slapping it on some random mass-production vehicle?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.