Grand National, GNX and T-Type Are Returning to Buick

73K views 259 replies 127 participants last post by  jossch 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Grand National, GNX and T-Type Are Returning to Buick
Edmunds
By Scott Oldham
November 26, 2012

Just the Facts:

• Buick is planning to reintroduce the Grand National, T-Type and GNX nameplates.
  • The new models will ride on GM's rear-wheel-drive Alpha platform introduced in the Cadillac ATS sedan.
  • The Grand National and T-Type models will likely use turbocharged V6s, while the GNX will most likely get GM's new LT1 V8.

Buick is bringing back the Grand National, the GNX and the T-Type, three legendary performance nameplates from the brand's high times of the 1980s. All three cars will be sedans and they'll use GM's new rear-wheel-drive Alpha platform first introduced in the Cadillac ATS sedan.

That's the plan anyway, according to a reliable source who spoke to Edmunds.

As in the 1980s, the T-Type and Grand National will share powertrains and suspension calibrations, but the T-Type will be offered in a full color palette, while the GN will come in black only. Details on the exact drivetrain that will be used are still hard to come by at this point.

Buick's current turbocharged 2.0-liter has the right vibe but lacks the muscle, and the normally aspirated V6 has the guts but just doesn't feel right for these nameplates. A more likely scenario is the use of GM's long-rumored, and recently spotted, twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter V6. It's expected to produce between 350 and 400 horsepower, which would be more than enough power in a bad black Buick with a Grand National badge.

So what's left for the legendary GNX nameplate? How about GM's new LT1 V8? We've already confirmed that a V8 will fit in the confines of the Alpha platform, so it's not an issue of "if" it can be done, but one of "how" it will be done.

Full article at link.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
This is part of the potential I spoke of recently in the CTS thread.
These future alpha sedans, coupes and convertibles will bring on the renaissance of GM and the US auto market.
Post #40 from 2 days ago.
While I think the article is correct in some ways, I think it suggests that the GN would be the same size as the ATS, which I doubt. I expect the CTS+ size to be the size used for the GN and others, including an Impala SS, Monte Carlo, Chevelle SS, Buick GN and Riviera and perhaps even an El Dorado. I expect these as coupes and convertibles, perhaps including 4 door sedans and unlikely wagons, but as SUVs.
Alpha will become the all-singing, all-dancing super-star that leads to GM dominance, including export versions such as a Commodore for Oz and Opel versions, and lastly, models for China, as "personal luxury" and "personal sport" coupes once again become the hot ride.

#60 ·
I don't see the size of the GNX increasing, I expect it to stay approximately the size of the ATS. Increasing the size, increases the mass and with CAFE requirements as they are, vehicle sizes will stay as they are or get smaller to keep the weight down and to help with fuel economy. Chevrolet has decided to make the Impala a cruiser and is taking the Sport out of it. I would love to see a RWD Impala, but its not gonna happen.

#13 ·
So is it possible that a base Regal may actually go RWD in the next generation?
I think the big question for GM is how far to take alpha, a premium platform that should underpin GM's best offerings and its more expensive vehicles. With a 110 inch wheelbase, it could very well include Regal, while leaving Malibu behind on EpiII.
I wouldn't like seeing Chevrolet get left behind, but if it is to remain the value proposition, it may need to remain fwd. as a counter argument, Chevrolet is 70% of GM, and alpha needs volume to be profitable.

#6 ·
I have pondered the idea that Regal will move to Alpha, but more based on the upcoming CTS wheel base and Dimensions. I also think a more likely scenario is that the base regal will sport a 2.5 N/A, with the T-type having the 2.0T. The V6 in the ATS would become the GNX (if it even happens....think upcoming CAFE folks). Also, I think it wishful thinking that GM would out muscle the ATS or the CTS with a Buick by dropping in TTV6's and LT1's. They do need to seperate the Regal from the Bu thou, and what better way to do it then by going Alpha.

Question I have is, based on current cycles, when is the Regal is due to be all new in 2016 or 2017?

#49 ·
Indeed. And if that's the case, I wonder if the long term plans would see GM 'decouple' Buick from Opel in order to see the Opel brand expand into other markets? If we look at markets like China, Opel and Buick will coexist. Eventually that may mean truly destinct styling fo each brand, especially as Chinese tastes further influence Buick's styling and Opel reasserts it's 'Teutonic-ness' after the rash of negative press. If the next generation Regal does move to Alpha, perhaps the only way for us to get the Insignia is for the Opel to sell it itself in North America. Looking at things ten years out, such a scenario makes a lot of sense -- especially if GM truly intends to keep Opel and make a real go of it in the future.

#36 ·
This was my thought, too. I HIGHLY doubt they will take it racing, so using those names would be a faux pas.

I would welcome the cars, just not those names without the proper context. Ditto with IROC for the Camaro. When they raced them, it was perfect. Not any longer.

Get me a Chevy (Chevelle SS?) RWD and I'll replace my HHR SS with it, or at least hand it off to the kids for them to learn on...

#12 ·
Well, this makes sense: Camaro is going to Alpha for the next generation, correct? Well, since Pontiac / Firebird is dead, this is an ideal platform mate for the alpha camaro - except I thought GM wasn't going to duplicate its efforts anymore, now that they've killed Saturn, Pontiac, Hummer, (Olds), and all that badge engineering is a thing of the past (except for Lambdas for EVERY division soon)... oh, never mind...
I hope this Buick is an adult's camaro - a bit more usable of a back seat, more luxury in the sport coupe, but the same level of "go" as a Camaro...

#16 ·
Is this an early April fool's day thread? I call complete BS until I see something in metal. There is no way the GM we know today would all of a sudden have an epiphany and resurrect not only one, but three legendary high-performance vehicles in the same model year, if ever. I don't see a way that they could find a business case for all three (perhaps one), and in addition, find it very difficult to believe that this could be justified to the beancounters and CAFE watchdogs.

#17 ·
Although it would be cool to see the GNX and other higher performance buicks back in production I suggest it is a news report thats more for gaining readership than anything based with fact..

GM is not going to move in that direction.

Buick will continue its fwd and AWD bias in production.

the softer side of luxury will prevail at buick and cadillac will continue as the sport luxury brand....

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see this rwd sport reinvention coming to buick ever...

#18 · (Edited)
:dro:
I may have to just drop my plans/hopes for a Chevrolet SS, and start saving my pennies now.

Though thinking about this. An Alpha based sedan(s) for Buick, would seem to hint that Chevrolet will get a version as well. Could it be that The Chevrolet SS & Impala will merge into one car when the Buick version comes out?
:drive:

#21 ·
:dro:
I may have to just drop my plans/hopes for a Chevrolet SS, and start saving my pennies now.

Though thinking about this. An Alpha based sedan for Buick, would seem to hint that Chevrolet will get a version as well. Could it be that The Chevrolet SS & Impala will merge into one car when the Buick version comes out?
:drive:
It could also mean the SS is a stop gap until they develop the Alpha Buicks, and once they are available the SS is no more. It runs on Zeta, and we know thats going the way of the doe-doe bird in the next couple years.

#22 ·
Interesting news, but I don't like the idea of calling the car Grand National without the NASCAR tie in.

#23 ·
Once again GM/Government Motors is a decade late. With gas prices going to be outrageous, there is no need for a V-8 Buick and there should be a serious push to develop 4 cylinder turbos that are more than boat anchors with a marketing gimmick of a turbo attached.

We do know there is no design talent at Government Motors so perhaps before they start adding more nameplates, they should hire some serious talent that will get rid of the horrific high beltline, smashed roof styling that is permeating every pore of Government Motors these days. Once you can correct the obvious industry worst efforts out there on styling, then perhaps you can add the fine tuned models. But right now, you have no chance to be taken seriously - your entire lineup is ugly.

#24 · (Edited)
This is how I see this happening, and pretty much the only way I can see it working:

Regal platform moves to alpha:

Then base = 2.5

t-type = 2.0T

Grand National = 3.0TT

GNX = 3.6TT ala ATS-V

edit: V8 will be reserved for Camaro, if they are bothering with this much heritage name plating they will not screw it up by offering a V8. Plus, high tech luxury is buick's purpose, can't see them using a v8.

#27 · (Edited)
This is how I see this happening, and pretty much the only way I can see it working:

Regal platform moves to alpha:

Then base = 2.5

t-type = 2.0T

Grand National = 3.0TT

GNX = 3.6TT ala ATS-V
It would make sense. And it furthers the product differentiation between Verano (plush compact), Regal (sport sedan) and Lacrosse (large plush sedan).

Regal's currently caught in the middle and Buick needs a true rival to the Lexus IS and Infiniti G-Series.

Would the Alpha platform be stretched to fit the current Regal dimensions or would the Regal be shrunk under this scenario?

There's a market for a relatively affordable sport sedan IMO.

#26 ·
"Buick is bringing back the Grand National, the GNX and the T-Type, three legendary performance nameplates from the brand's high times of the 1980s. All three cars will be SEDANS and they'll use GM's new rear-wheel-drive Alpha platform first introduced in the Cadillac ATS sedan."

Why would GM offer all three performance models as sedans only? We need more COUPE offerings from GM!!

#31 ·
This would be great except:
GM would release a NA 4 cylinder first with only a loaded version available
1 year later they would release the V6
1 year later they would release the turbo V6, but throttle sales due to CAFE concerns
1 year later, when the competition has caught up with new models, they would release the V8 but make it astronomically expensive due to CAFE concerns, thus competing with the Chevy SS and Corvette and Camaro ZL1, which then makes Chevy whine and complain until GM shuts down the Buick nameplate and starts selling Opels in America as Opels
Finally, they fold the American Opel brand into Chevy since the lemmings in America like bland styling that everyone drives and we finally the equivalent of an American Toyota!

#35 ·
As much as I would love this to happen, I call NO WAY
Buick already has 3 sedans. I doubt they will add a fourth one.
I might be able to see them move the Regal to RWD in 2017/2018
I think maybe they add these as trims to the current updated Regal.
GNX can be Twin Turbo V6 with AWD.

#59 ·
I think people are splitting hairs over the term "sedan." I imagine it to be a 2 + 2 coupe, just like the Camaro. I've been saying for a couple years that Buick needs a "luxurious Camaro" and considering that the 6th gen Camaro is moving to Alpha, it only makes sense to give a Buick a performance version as well.

Also, I seriously doubt the Regal will move to Alpha. I see these name plates being a completely separate model on Alpha as different trim levels.

It may behoove GM to differentiate this line of performance models from the FWD Regal, and specifically the Regal GS which was never really intended to be a hard core performance machine, but rather an upper trim level with some solid yet modest performance upgrades.

Despite the history of the Regal name plate, I think for branding purposes people need to understand that these names are not FWD, they are not more potent versions of the Regal GS, and that they are true performance coupes.

What a lot of people don't remember is that while the T-Type, GN and GNX were exciting, memorable cars, the goal of the program (to attract younger buyers and build Buick's sales) was not an overwhelming success. There's a reason that Buick abandoned this approach.
Buick's new line of these name plates will be on a world class chassis, with world class technology, modern Buick appointments and I'm sure beautifully designed; things GM could of only dreamed of at that time. It will be like comparing apples to oranges in their respective eras. Riding on Alpha, these cars will be more akin to sports cars than a hopped up sedan.

Buick's ability to position, engineer, and market these vehicles represents a completely different opportunity at this time; one that makes more sense from a engineering standpoint and one that provides customers with greater appeal. I think their chances for success are night and day.

#37 ·
If, this is true, IF, this is overkill. They would step all over the ATS, especially if on the same platform. Make the Regal Grand National ONLY. A limited run of TT3.6 AWD Black Regals would be a nice addition to the line. But keep it based on the Regal/Epsilon chassis. Having three models when there are so many other things GM could spend money on seems like a waste. Don't get me wrong, they should ABSOLUTELY build one but all three? I'm glad to see GM mining their own heritage and looking at what made the enthusiasts love them.

#44 ·
One of the ways to improve Opel is for Opel to build cars that are also available in the USA, such as a rwd alpha coupe, sedan and convertible, such as this Buick GN article suggests.
IMO Opel could build Chevrolets, Buicks, Opels and Cadillacs in their factories for easy distribution to Europe and Eastern Europe and the Middle East. It could work, and may be the way forward for Opel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.