Grand National, GNX and T-Type Are Returning to Buick

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand National, GNX and T-Type Are Returning to Buick

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Cavalier LSS 5MT 222k+ Mi

Edmunds
    By Scott Oldham
    November 26, 2012

Just the Facts:

• Buick is planning to reintroduce the Grand National, T-Type and GNX nameplates.
    • The new models will ride on GM's rear-wheel-drive Alpha platform introduced in the Cadillac ATS sedan.
    • The Grand National and T-Type models will likely use turbocharged V6s, while the GNX will most likely get GM's new LT1 V8.

Buick is bringing back the Grand National, the GNX and the T-Type, three legendary performance nameplates from the brand's high times of the 1980s. All three cars will be sedans and they'll use GM's new rear-wheel-drive Alpha platform first introduced in the Cadillac ATS sedan.

That's the plan anyway, according to a reliable source who spoke to Edmunds.

As in the 1980s, the T-Type and Grand National will share powertrains and suspension calibrations, but the T-Type will be offered in a full color palette, while the GN will come in black only. Details on the exact drivetrain that will be used are still hard to come by at this point.

Buick's current turbocharged 2.0-liter has the right vibe but lacks the muscle, and the normally aspirated V6 has the guts but just doesn't feel right for these nameplates. A more likely scenario is the use of GM's long-rumored, and recently spotted, twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter V6. It's expected to produce between 350 and 400 horsepower, which would be more than enough power in a bad black Buick with a Grand National badge.

So what's left for the legendary GNX nameplate? How about GM's new LT1 V8? We've already confirmed that a V8 will fit in the confines of the Alpha platform, so it's not an issue of "if" it can be done, but one of "how" it will be done.

Full article at link.
    Last edited by ne_one; 11-26-2012 at 11:06 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Re: Grand National, GNX and T-Type Are Returning to Buick

The first Buick in about 24 years that I'd die to have and would realistically order.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

This is part of the potential I spoke of recently in the CTS thread.
    These future alpha sedans, coupes and convertibles will bring on the renaissance of GM and the US auto market.
    Post #40 from 2 days ago.
    While I think the article is correct in some ways, I think it suggests that the GN would be the same size as the ATS, which I doubt. I expect the CTS+ size to be the size used for the GN and others, including an Impala SS, Monte Carlo, Chevelle SS, Buick GN and Riviera and perhaps even an El Dorado. I expect these as coupes and convertibles, perhaps including 4 door sedans and unlikely wagons, but as SUVs.
    Alpha will become the all-singing, all-dancing super-star that leads to GM dominance, including export versions such as a Commodore for Oz and Opel versions, and lastly, models for China, as "personal luxury" and "personal sport" coupes once again become the hot ride.
    Last edited by Dr. Show-Me; 11-26-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze TD , 88 Fiero GT

So is it possible that a base Regal may actually go RWD in the next generation?

Ken

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

2014 NAIAS debut sounds a little optimistic.

Echoing Ken, if this is true, it does make me wonder if Regal is going Alpha.

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI

Thanks

I have pondered the idea that Regal will move to Alpha, but more based on the upcoming CTS wheel base and Dimensions. I also think a more likely scenario is that the base regal will sport a 2.5 N/A, with the T-type having the 2.0T. The V6 in the ATS would become the GNX (if it even happens....think upcoming CAFE folks). Also, I think it wishful thinking that GM would out muscle the ATS or the CTS with a Buick by dropping in TTV6's and LT1's. They do need to seperate the Regal from the Bu thou, and what better way to do it then by going Alpha.

Question I have is, based on current cycles, when is the Regal is due to be all new in 2016 or 2017?

Thanks

Smart move. Those nameplates have a huge amount of cache attached to them.

I still drool over GNX's and T-Types
    "It's starting to hit me like a ....ummmm... two ton heavy thing"

Current Car : 2001 Blazer 4x4 *sold

Temporarily driving a 2002 Saturn SL2......SMH

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

If Regal does go Alpha, it also begs the question of where the Insignia will end up, if on US shores at all anymore.

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze TD , 88 Fiero GT

Quote Originally Posted by JuMPy View Post
    I have pondered the idea that Regal will move to Alpha, but more based on the upcoming CTS wheel base and Dimensions. I also think a more likely scenario is that the base regal will sport a 2.5 N/A, with the T-type having the 2.0T. The V6 in the ATS would become the GNX (if it even happens....think upcoming CAFE folks). Also, I think it wishful thinking that GM would out muscle the ATS or the CTS with a Buick by dropping in TTV6's and LT1's. They do need to seperate the Regal from the Bu thou, and what better way to do it then by going Alpha.

Question I have is, based on current cycles, when is the Regal is due to be all new in 2016 or 2017?
    JuMPy,

I think Nick said 2016 if I remember correctly from a thread earlier this year...........

Ken

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

T Type is cool, GN and GNX have too much Nascar heritage to be resurrected without racing them again. I'd prefer the GSX designation since I don't see a return to NAscar for Buick.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Pontiac G6X Coupe

I always dreamed about Buicks potential ... the demand for a great Buick coupe would be high

Thanks

Well, this makes sense: Camaro is going to Alpha for the next generation, correct? Well, since Pontiac / Firebird is dead, this is an ideal platform mate for the alpha camaro - except I thought GM wasn't going to duplicate its efforts anymore, now that they've killed Saturn, Pontiac, Hummer, (Olds), and all that badge engineering is a thing of the past (except for Lambdas for EVERY division soon)... oh, never mind...
    I hope this Buick is an adult's camaro - a bit more usable of a back seat, more luxury in the sport coupe, but the same level of "go" as a Camaro...
    Current rides: 2013 Buick Verano, 2011 Dodge Durango.
    Past rides: 2006 GTO, 2005 Vibe (best car I've ever owned), 2006 Odyssey (the worst vehicle I've ever owned), 2005 Envoy, 2002 Wrangler, 2002 S10, 2000 Sierra C1500, 1997 Sierra K1500 (2nd best car I've ever owned), 1996 Stratus, 1996 SW1 Saturn, 1994 Toyota Pickup (4x4 - 2nd worst car I've ever owned), 1992 Dakota, 1988 GMC Suburban, 1987 S10 Blazer, 1985 Scrambler, 1980 Tercel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kmacleod View Post
    So is it possible that a base Regal may actually go RWD in the next generation?
    I think the big question for GM is how far to take alpha, a premium platform that should underpin GM's best offerings and its more expensive vehicles. With a 110 inch wheelbase, it could very well include Regal, while leaving Malibu behind on EpiII.
    I wouldn't like seeing Chevrolet get left behind, but if it is to remain the value proposition, it may need to remain fwd. as a counter argument, Chevrolet is 70% of GM, and alpha needs volume to be profitable.

Thanks

Yeah I would buy one of those. I am a Regal GS owner at the moment.
    2012 Buick Regal GS , M6
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Limited V6

Thanks

How many on here would be interested in a modern rwd/awd coupe, sedan and convertible mid size with a GenV v8, ttv6, 2.0t and eAssist 1.6? Think all the great nameplates other than Pontiac brought back, with great GM design, but at higher price points.
    SIGN ME UP!

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information