GM Inside News Forum banner

Chevrolet TrailBlazer to Launch in US Next Year?

49K views 138 replies 76 participants last post by  KingLeonidas 
#1 ·
Chevrolet Trailblazer May Come to U.S. in 2014
Edmunds.com
By Rick Kranz
August 5, 2013

Just the Facts:
  • Chevrolet could expand its SUV lineup in the U.S. next year with the addition of a midsize model based on the Thai-built Trailblazer.
  • An industry source familiar with Chevrolet's product plans said a version of the Trailblazer SUV is expected go on sale in the U.S. in 2014.
  • Chevrolet officially says it has no plans to add another SUV/crossover to the portfolio.

DETROIT — General Motors' Chevrolet division could expand its SUV lineup in the U.S. next year with the addition of a midsize pickup truck-based model derived from the Thai-built Trailblazer.

The Trailblazer shares its global body-on-frame architecture with the midsize Chevrolet Colorado pickup truck. The Colorado, which was designed by General Motors do Brasil and jointly engineered with Japan's Isuzu, is slated to be built in the U.S. and introduced early next year as a 2015 model, along with a companion GMC Canyon.

"We have no plans to add another SUV/crossover to the portfolio," Chevrolet spokesman Mike Albano told Edmunds in an e-mail. "We are pleased with the way Equinox, Traverse and Tahoe/Suburban are performing in the marketplace."

But an industry source familiar with Chevrolet's product plans said a version of the Trailblazer SUV is expected to go on sale in the U.S. in 2014. It is not clear if the vehicle would be built in the U.S. or if it would retain the Trailblazer name.

See less See more
#80 ·
I actually kinda like it. If they re-designed the front headlights to be more long, tighter and blends in more with the fender, and make the twin grills smaller, than it looks half-way decent. Now for that interior, it will never fly with Americans, even though its better than the current Colorado/Canyon.

#87 ·
I'm going to be the first one in my area with a black TB when they come out.

GM, you pissed me off with the reliability of my Cobalt SS that I spent a lot of money on. Now you can redeem yourselves by making the TrailBlazer available here! Bonus points if you make it with the Duramax Diesel offered in the colorado.

Thanks!

#93 ·
GM hasn't announced building a new TB in North America, but it is just a matter of time before they do. This is a size that fits more peoples' needs and potentially will outsell GM's big SUVs as fuel prices continue to rise.
But I don't expect the announcement until gm sales of tHe big SUVs are well underway, and even then, I don't expect to see V8s for the first couple years of production. Nonetheless, bring it on!

#95 ·
So someone would actually prefer to have a 2.8L engine over the new 5.3L in a new BODY ON FRAME SUV??

#100 ·
Gonna start my own truck company. Body on frame only. V8's only. Forged solid steel construction only. No fuel management gimmicks to cause random explosions.

Reactions: rjpoog1989
#102 ·
I'd buy one! I think they need manual transmissions though so I can row my own gears.

#105 ·
Depends on one's own interpretation of 'success.' Or maybe this is just an option for men who have balls.

I meant 2.8 as the optional engine.

Nobody would buy it with the 5.3 as the base engine. If the new 4.3 was used instead of the torqueless 3.5 it wouldn't be bad!
Lol what? You'd get mid 20s out of the 5.3L in a mid size SUV. "Nobody would buy one" my azz

#114 ·
I put the chances of this happening somewhere between "slim" and "none." I think the only BOF SUVs GM is interested in are the big boys (Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade). The market has shifted to CUVs now, which attract a much larger audience as well as help with CAFE numbers.

#117 ·
CAFE should be very similar to the Colorado trucks.
The Tahoe is a highly capable SUV that does nearly everything well, but is on the large size for a dd.
I own a Tahoe, but would certainly be interested in buying a Trailblazer size SUV, hopefully from GM. Or another company if GM doesn't build it.

#115 ·
Honestly the Acadia/Traverse have potential but I feel like they are nothing more than cool-looking (and outdated) minivans right now.

With some driveline tweaks along with an exterior refresh, those could be some really legitimate vehicles. To do that will cost too much for GM though, so they'll just continue to produce the same thing for another 8 years with minor exterior refreshes along the way.

#121 ·
Make this happen GM. Would love a TrailBlazer with the 4cyl Duramax.

#122 ·
It would need a different interior from the global Trailblazer in order to compete here. I'm not sure if the interior from the NA Colorado/Canyon would be much better. And frankly this is the type of product GMC should get. I know it seems riskier to have GMC get an exclusive product, but to me it seems like present day GMC can support it. The Grand Cherokee will not be easy to defeat.

#123 ·
I drove a 4wd Colorado V6 yesterday, and liked the overall package. The exceptions were modest acceleration in upper gears, a wind whistle at interstate speeds, and a lot of plastic in the interior. I'm not sure which version I drove, but I thought this could be an excellent basis for a Trailblazer with a nicer interior, more power as in 4.3/5.3 engines and advanced safety features. All do-able, just requires a little risk taking or re-claiming what they previously offered.
GM be like Nike - just DO IT!!!

#125 ·
Given the Trailblazer has a frame GMC should use the Safari name on it with a full on "H3" version with Turbo-Diesel V6 expanding GMC's lineup into lucrative niche segments that HUMMER SUV's did in the past. GMC can revive these vehicles since GMC's buyer demographic has the cash to afford the higher prices for properly designed vehicles that offer a measurable improvement in MPG.

Safari should be offered on different (3) WB’s in 2-Door (Jimmy) and 4-Door models (Safari/Safari XL) with 5 and 7 passenger models with 2 different design themes, one based on Canyon for SLE, SLT and Denali trims. And a more aggressive design (All Terrain and Alpha) using short overhangs with H4/H3 styling cues and GMC grille offering HUMMER level of off-road performance.

Jimmy/Safari/Safari XL Denali use 3.0 Turbo matched to 8-Speed Automatic for a nice balance of power with MPG and offer the 3.6L TT or 5.3L V8 on Denali Premium versions.

1. Jimmy SLE
2. Jimmy SLT
3. Jimmy Typhoon
4. Jimmy All Terrain (Rubicon) Solid Front HD Axle similar to Wrangler Rubicon
5. Jimmy Alpha (HX)
6. Jimmy Denali
7. Jimmy Denali Premium

1. Safari SLE
2. Safari SLT
3. Safari Typhoon with 3.6TT power and some suspension/brake upgrades from Denali GMC
4. Safari All Terrain (Rubicon)
5. Safari Alpha (H-3) Alpha using the Alpha name from HUMMER's top level vehicles with S/C V8.
6. Safari Denali
7. Safari Denali Premium offering exceptional ride/handling with class leading power with several premium trim options of various "themes" including subdued luxury, Western, ultra-plush, techno-luxury and others with multiple color/material choices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.