GM Inside News Forum banner

Chevrolet TrailBlazer to Launch in US Next Year?

49K views 138 replies 76 participants last post by  KingLeonidas 
#1 ·
Chevrolet Trailblazer May Come to U.S. in 2014
Edmunds.com
By Rick Kranz
August 5, 2013

Just the Facts:
  • Chevrolet could expand its SUV lineup in the U.S. next year with the addition of a midsize model based on the Thai-built Trailblazer.
  • An industry source familiar with Chevrolet's product plans said a version of the Trailblazer SUV is expected go on sale in the U.S. in 2014.
  • Chevrolet officially says it has no plans to add another SUV/crossover to the portfolio.

DETROIT — General Motors' Chevrolet division could expand its SUV lineup in the U.S. next year with the addition of a midsize pickup truck-based model derived from the Thai-built Trailblazer.

The Trailblazer shares its global body-on-frame architecture with the midsize Chevrolet Colorado pickup truck. The Colorado, which was designed by General Motors do Brasil and jointly engineered with Japan's Isuzu, is slated to be built in the U.S. and introduced early next year as a 2015 model, along with a companion GMC Canyon.

"We have no plans to add another SUV/crossover to the portfolio," Chevrolet spokesman Mike Albano told Edmunds in an e-mail. "We are pleased with the way Equinox, Traverse and Tahoe/Suburban are performing in the marketplace."

But an industry source familiar with Chevrolet's product plans said a version of the Trailblazer SUV is expected to go on sale in the U.S. in 2014. It is not clear if the vehicle would be built in the U.S. or if it would retain the Trailblazer name.

See less See more
#42 ·
it looks so ugly and cheap looking. i do not know if it will work here with this markets styling taste. this will be in the $30-40k range. It has odd curvy lines like the 99-05 Chevy Tracker which was popular in the market this was sold in.

#43 ·
Well this is interesting and may explain why I have seen these running around Detroit so much. It's not uncommon for a vehicle that is not sold in the U.S. to be seen in the area with a manufacturer plate, but usually it's only around the vehicles launch. For example, the Orlando was seen here on our roads with M plates shortly after it's release every where else. So when I first saw the new TB, it was no big deal.

However in the last month I have seen several different TB's running around. For a couple of weeks it was almost nightly. They are uncovered with no camouflage. I have pics of one on 696, I'll post it when I am not on a work computer.

#44 ·
They should. Ford has the Explorer, Expedition, Edge, Escape and they all sell. The Explorer never went away and the Trailblazer never should have either. Our Traverse is nice but I'd trade it in on a BOF Trailblazer in a heartbeat. Provided it got a facelift and new interior. I'm with everyone else here, this thing is ugly as sin.

#48 ·
Don't forget the Flex.

Beyond the styling/interior/etc. I don't see GM introducing this in the US. We already have the Traverse, Tahoe, Suburban, Equinox. 3 of those are large, 3 row S/CUV's. This would only cannibalize from the large side of the market. What GM needs is a midsize SUV. This is why I don't think GM needs a 3 row trailblazer.

As is, I feel like this vehicle is too big for the gap that GM needs to fill.

I don't like the styling of international TrailBlazer. In my view , They should use the Hummer like designs on them ( like H3 ), Will sell like hotcakes all over the world.
I don't think anyone likes the styling of this thing. I would like to see a more rugged facelift. But I feel that GMC's design language would look good on it.

#51 ·
Just to play devils advocate: With how much we complained about the looks of the Buick Encore, and I'm one of them, it seems to be striking a cord with the general buying public. I've seen three on the road and the Encore does really stand out, and not all that bad looking.

A few things to consider with this Trailblazer rumor.
1. We don't know how the final North American will look, though it's a fair bet that the front and interior will borrow heavily from the upcoming Colorado.
2. We may not like the current Thailand styling, but if it was to come here "as-is", there is no predicting how the all important general public will respond.

#53 ·
I personally like the interior / it LOOKS like the lower level model and could easily add accent trims / "wood" panels for dress up and if this was aimed @ the Nissan Xterra / Jeep Wrangler
and priced from 24K and a "silverado inspired nose-job" + optionel 2.8L TD DURAMAX i4

and NOT aimed @ the 4 runner/ Explorer

#56 · (Edited)
Originally Posted by SX3
"Beyond the styling/interior/etc. I don't see GM introducing this in the US. We already have the Traverse, Tahoe, Suburban, Equinox. 3 of those are large, 3 row S/CUV's. This would only cannibalize from the large side of the market. What GM needs is a midsize SUV. This is why I don't think GM needs a 3 row trailblazer"

Unless they miss their mini van, I have very few customers who look at the traverse as an SUV. The line is usually, "Well thank you for letting us look...honey I liked the Explorer..."

We need a third row, "real" mid sized SUV. The Traverse is a CUV, and played against the Explorer, very weak.

#63 ·
They can keep that ugly thing.... if GM is going to do a new BOF midsizer here it needs to be nicer than the GMT360s were.

#64 · (Edited)
First of all, GM isn't going to launch a Trailblazer in the US next year. It is too close in size and capability to the Tahoe.
Secondly, GM has spent a massive amount of money to bring out the new trucks or big SUVs, and they will not undercut their success by bringing out an internal competitor.
GM needs to make a ton of money on the new SUVs like Tahoe, and GM will give them an exclusive of at least 1.5 years before a new Trailblazer.
GM also needs to make the big SUVs profitable to provide the necessary funding for the next round of downsizing and lightening that is necessary.
IMO the Trailblazer size SUV will become the standard around the world and in the USA, replacing many of the big suvs with a more agile but still capable SUV that will be bought by the millions.
Does it need updated styling and powerplants? Yes, of course. But the basics are there right now for a new TB, GM just needs to decision to pursue the upcoming size SUV that will make them billions of dollars. Comeon GM, Just DO IT!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.