C7 Corvette could get a dual-clutch transmission

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C7 Corvette could get a dual-clutch transmission

Thanks

C7 Corvette could get a dual-clutch transmission

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/02/c...-transmission/

Late last Friday after the local union officials got to hear the details about the new GM-UAW contract details started emerging about future product plans. It looks like part of the cost for the company to get the union to make some concessions was to commit new products to a bunch of plants. At first we only heard about the assembly plants with the news that the Volt would be produced in Detroit and the small RWD Alpha platform would go to Lordstown OH. Now more of the contract is coming out including commitments to parts plants.

Of interest to Corvette fans is a line item for the Toledo OH transmission plant which reads "RWD DCT for NG Corvette will be allocated (2012)". DCT typically refers to dual clutch transmission. That means the C7 'Vette will almost surely get a DCT. Another product for Toledo and the Baltimore transmission plant is the RWD Gen II Hybrid transmission for 2011/12. This could be an updated, and hopefully lower cost version, of the Two-Mode that could be applied to other applications. Hmmm... do I hear hybrid Zetas? One plant that isn't getting new product is the Livonia, MI engine plant that produces the Northstar V-8s used in Cadillacs when that engine dies in 2010. GM announced a new V-8 engine earlier this year that would be built at the Tonawanda, NY engine plant and the Livonia plant will close
    “We are masters of our own destiny,” he said. “We make our own decisions. And we intend to keep it that way.” Bill Ford May/09
    By Mark Fields
    "Perform or the bank will own us"
    Buying GM cars since 1931
    Hungry ,eat your import

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Alex Villani: Staff Writer Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: C7 Corvette could get a dual-clutch transmission

Good to hear! Wonder how many gears? Could be an adaptation of the new 6 speed autos, or could the new trans be set up for more gears and a dual clutch system?
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: BigAl@GMInsidenews.com
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

Thanks

what is a dual-clutch transmission. I don't understand DAD
    toyota hondaimports
    VIVA PORTUGAL

Thanks

Sounds logical to assume. The Vette had often the new gimmicks. HUD, ESP(sort of) and ARS allready in the C4 Corvette generation. Than the LS1 in the C5.
    Perhaps due the low production volume and the high Price

@boston boy

This transmission design has two clutches. The first is connected to the gearsets 1,3,5. The second to 2,4,6. When in 1st gear, the 2nd gearset is already engaged except for the clutch (connection to the engine). The up-shift is an almost simultaneous disengaging of the first clutch and engaging of the second. If you ever drove a stick u can guess the timedifference.
    Last edited by GM LS-X; 10-03-2007 at 06:24 AM.

I'm in Europe, but it ain't an Opel

Thanks

@boston boy

This transmission design has two clutches. The first is connected to the gearsets 1,3,5. The second to 2,4,6. When in 1st gear, the 2nd gearset is already engaged except for the clutch (connection to the engine). The up-shift is an almost simultaneous disengaging of the first clutch and engaging of the second. If you ever drove a stick u can guess the timedifference.[/quote]

I think I must see how it works. I have done many clutchs. I just think I need to read the replacement instructions. Like the auto-manual-clutchs I think all it is computer control hydralic clutch slave cylinder, I THINK...
    toyota hondaimports
    VIVA PORTUGAL

Thanks

A DCT would be a great tranny to start on the Vette, then hopefully it would spread to everything else in GM's line up!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boston boy
    what is a dual-clutch transmission. I don't understand DAD
    Here's the Wikipedia explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin-clutch_gearbox

K-1
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Traverse Black Granite

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28
    Good to hear! Wonder how many gears? Could be an adaptation of the new 6 speed autos, or could the new trans be set up for more gears and a dual clutch system?
    Maybe an 8-speed?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 uujjj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28
    i don't think a conventional auto can be adapted to a dual-clutch. dual clutch transmissions typically use helical or spur gears, like a manual, rather than planetary gears like an auto.
    To stay employable in the future in this country, you need to have highly marketable skills that are unlikely to be shipped overseas. So, brush up on your brooming and cash register skills.

Walking
    Thanks

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...et-haldex-awd/

Looks like the C7 could get AWD as well!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 ogg vorbis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Chevrolet Malibu LS Pewte

there really isn't much benefit to more than 6 gears (aside from marketing to naive consumers). the added physical complexity and increased friction negates any fuel economy benefits...besides, 6 gears are already enough to row through. a sequential tranny would make sense for 6 or 7 gears.

the dsg will be light weight. the quick shifts help fuel economy, as well as acceleration and perceived shift smoothness. it's basically an automatic manual.

gm will have a manually shifted automatic...with planetary gears and a normal clutch. the problem with starting with the automatic is that it weighs 90 lb more than the borg warner t56.

using a cvt to keep the engine between peak torque and peak hp is ideal...but they can't take the corvette's power. f1 tried them out 15 years ago...however, compared with an 800 hp f1 car, the ls3 makes more torque!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 ogg vorbis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Chevrolet Malibu LS Pewte

Quote Originally Posted by chevy_lover
    http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...et-haldex-awd/

Looks like the C7 could get AWD as well!
    nix the awd. follow the links from that article. besides, the tranny is in the back. it'd be awkward to split power off the rear differential, send it to the front, and have a front dif (in the oil pan?).

Banned
    Thanks

how a dual clutch tranny works complete with pictures.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-c...ansmission.htm

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boston boy
    @boston boy

This transmission design has two clutches. The first is connected to the gearsets 1,3,5. The second to 2,4,6. When in 1st gear, the 2nd gearset is already engaged except for the clutch (connection to the engine). The up-shift is an almost simultaneous disengaging of the first clutch and engaging of the second. If you ever drove a stick u can guess the timedifference.
    I think I must see how it works. I have done many clutchs. I just think I need to read the replacement instructions. Like the auto-manual-clutchs I think all it is computer control hydralic clutch slave cylinder, I THINK...[/quote]

Nope, the clutch part looks very much like the lock-up part of a conventional automatic torque converter times two without the torque conversion parts. On the outside it also looks like a conventional torque converter.
    This type of transmission is VERY fast AND smooth at the same time.
    It very well could be equipped with planetary gears, but most manufacturers have choosen spur gears like in a conventional manual transmission.
    I think for heavy duty trucks the conventional torque converter automatic will still be available and the DCT for the lighter applications like cars, mini vans and small and medium sized SUVs, although they can be build for strength ( at a higher price).
    Go ahead and test drive an audi or VW, its really good, just don't buy these cars.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Wow! DCT 'vette in 2012. Evo will have it in 2008 and Skyline in 2009. GM's late to the party - again.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information