GM Inside News Forum banner

Avista, Not Only Is It Not Coming.....

33K views 200 replies 66 participants last post by  bmwboy2007 
#1 · (Edited)
But....people almost got fired for releasing it to the public as a concept. There are no plans for it from Buick, never were, and in fact upper management is pretty pissed off it ever even saw the light of day.

Reactions: 377Z
#78 ·
Prove it.

This is why I don't spend much time here any more.

Hearsay stated as fact, then page after page of Dog-pile reaction.

Do you honestly want us to believe that the entire project was a secret? At least 2 examples built. All the huge and expensive displays for the auto shows designed, ordered and paid for, all behind the backs of Mary Barra and Mark Ruess, not to mention all the managers in-between ?

#80 · (Edited)
Well, to be fair, there's only so many threads you can invent regurgitating the same topics over and over again in the Camaro forum.

If there was any truth to this thread, it wouldn't be in the Rumor forum. It'd be in the Buick discussion forum, or the Headline News forum. This is frontpage inside news if there ever was any.

#88 ·
After getting all bent out of shape, because I really like this car, I've realized that this makes no sense. There was too much positive reaction and too many versions of the concept made for no one to know.

As an aside, wasn't the C5 or C4 Corvette developed in secret without management knowing? Wasn't it tantamount to embezzling how they funded the program? Someone please chime in and correct me please. :)

#92 · (Edited)
The really old GM would have offered it up for another division to produce like Cadillac rejected the "La Salle" as Buick won an interdivisional competition to sell it as the Riviera.

The really old GM would have put it in production and let it outsell entry level and the most premium divisions as was the case with the Cutlass Supreme. There wouldn't be this worry whether Avista took sales from the look-no-one-can-tell-it's-new Camaro causing it to loose the never ending Mustang sales battle and pissing contest. Nevermind that it would give people one more choice of a stylish, voluptuous and mature luxury sports car without looking like another one of those Cadillac Art and Science origami projects nor looking like the boy-wants-to-race-me wanker and ego enhancer Camaro.

Perhaps Chevy is jealous that evolving the Camaro to the euro voluptiousness of the 1970 Camaro is what they should have done.

Certainly Cadillac does not want anything to interfere with the supreme pretentiousness they are using to try to sell cars instead of designing and pricing cars that will sell themselves.

Yes Buick just stay lazy and keep on rebadging Opels. Buick is really better off dying in North America and stay exclusively in China along with the outdated CUV that is being imported from there.

#117 ·
I'm 40. I have two kids. I'm in a demographic for what Avista stands for. And have the

Don't talk to me about the "coupe market". And then trot out the Camaro. The back seat is at least a top #3 reason why Camaro sales are down.

I drive 4 door vehicles right now, because GM had nothing to properly replace my GTO with.

Stop the silliness.

Reactions: 377Z
#139 · (Edited)
Just a word about Nesbitt...

I had a nice conversation with him when he first got to GM. I found him to be an open, straight forward, nice guy. Qualities which are not as common as you would think. We also talked about design, and I came away thinking this guy has his head in the right place.

I can just imagine what beautiful cars and trucks GM might have produced if he were given free reign.

Reactions: yello430
#147 · (Edited)
LAUGHABLE AT MOST......1ST off GM is a publicly traded company - no car or tech gets released without the top brass knowing what is taking place. GM higher ups know every detail of every division. It's not like this car was designed and developed in some top secret hanger belonging too LOCKHEAD MARTIN SKUNK WORKS!!!!!!!!!! Get it straight - Every higher up takes a walk into every divisions future plan throughout the passing days - weeks. It's their job too know what is taking place with their budgets and dollars spent, when/where - PERIOD!! GM loves too test the waters - in GM's past there have been many concepts that were not produced, just for show is what they were designed for. These test public design tastes/reactions. There was a GM executive who stated back when that the Avista design elements would show in some form down the road, just not in the 2 door that was shown!!!

Mary Barra and Mark Ruess would have received a roster of what was being shown when at this car show where the Avista was revealed. So trust me - if GM higher ups were pissed - there were many places to stop it from being shown. This is like kindergarten talk - Oh I heard such and such rumour - Then this turns into a 12 page yak yak fest about nothing!! SHEESH GUYS!!

#148 ·
If you look at Buick the only car that is truly designed and manufactured here by Buick is the LaCrosse, a car with a ten-year old platform. The Regal is really an Opel. The Encore is South Korean. The SUV's are really from Chevy/GMC and now we have a Chinese SUV. The logic of Buick is to search the world and bring here what can be sold here from someplace else and to take the LaCrosse overseas. There are no true developmental dollars in the brand. There is no unifying vision as to what Buick should be. It is not the GM version of Lexus or Audi or anything. All it is is a marketing device to extend sales from other GM brands and platforms. Its function is to add margin and profit to GM with little to no investment. Buick is not a traditional car company. It is an international car dealership. I wonder why they even invested in a concept in the first place. Obviously, Duncan Aldred and Amrit Mehta didn't get the message.

#158 ·
“We don’t comment on future products as you know, but we’ve never suggested that the car does or does not have future plans. Others in the media certainly have, but we haven’t,” Fowle wrote in an email to GMI.
A sliver of hope? I didn't think that Buick has stated anything official about the Avista's future. Could still be internal vigorous discussions over the car. Maybe Buick's management is pushing back hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.