GM Inside News Forum banner

Aluminum, sporty, RWD, Ford Falcon And Lincoln? Ford Insiders Get In Here!

30K views 103 replies 39 participants last post by  Oldsmobile stopped 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Re: Aluminum RWD, Ford Falcoln And Lincoln? Ford Insiders Get In Here!

More info!!:bounce: If such vehicle exist, then things could get very interesting.
That said if I were a Ford exec, I would suggest that such vehicle needs to be a Lincoln exclusive product. The brand NEEDS to differentiate itself from Ford ASAP.

#3 ·
Re: Aluminum RWD, Ford Falcoln And Lincoln? Ford Insiders Get In Here!

Interesting.

#5 ·
I wonder just how much Aluminum would be planned for such a car and how it would effect the price. A Lincoln can get a premium price, but not a Mustang.

Reactions: johnstarnes
#8 ·
This could be exciting. I'm imagining something for Europe and Asia with a Lincoln-only version for the US. One Ford so...share components worldwide, sell in China to compete with Cadillac and/or Buick, exclusive to US/NA as a Lincoln.

Sounds good...OK Ford, do this...but please, no Ford version in NA or Lincoln will cease to exist.

#11 ·
There is a planned Mustang based Lincoln "coupe" scheduled to start production in December of 2015. Coupe could mean 2 or 4 door so not sure which.

Have not heard anything on a new Falcon though. It would make since for a Ford sedan along with a Lincoln 4 door coupe though to get the volume they would need.

#20 · (Edited)
Okay, let's list what we know:

1) Ford has taken the plunge big time with aluminum bodywork with the new F150.
2) Ford is working closely with Alcoa.
3) The new Mustang has aluminum body panels - hood and front fenders.
4) A sporty Lincoln, based off of the Mustang platform has been strongly rumored, like forever.
5) .....

Am I missing anything?

#28 ·
Okay, let's list what we know:

1) Ford has taken the plunge big time with aluminum bodywork with the new F350.
Yes.

2) Ford is working closely with Alcoa.
OK

3) The new Mustang has aluminum body panels - hood and front fenders.
Sorry, do we really KNOW that?

4) A sporty Lincoln, based off of the Mustang platform has been strongly rumored, like forever.
So ....... we know what we DON'T know (?)

#25 ·
Bigger sized Chevrolet SS on the Zeta II is line ball with the Cadillac CTS Vsport on Alpha weight wise.

The Camaro on Zeta 1.5 will no doubt be lighter especially if its on the ATS Alpha. But the Alpha really isnt that light and or not much of an improvement (if any) to the Zeta II. The Alpha is however much more expensive. So have fun paying more for a car thats barely lighter than the current one :p

#41 · (Edited)
Okay, I lied. It looks like I have more drive than I thought I did. :)
Thank you. So not such a lot of Aluminum after all.

Side note: It must be gratifying to be a Ford fan on this site. GM seems able to do nothing that pleases anyone, but if Alan Mulally so much as picks his nose eveyone here starts asking why GM didn't do it first.

Just sayin'.

I don't think that proves anything. Aircraft are not cars, they are better inspected and better maintained. They operate off of duty cycles and have structural part replacements, inspections, and complete overhauls at predetermined intervals.
Exactly! There's very litttle on a B-52 in service today that was original to the early 50's. In fact I would think that most B-52's still flying were built much later.

#32 · (Edited)
Using the Falcon name is a good way of disguising that it is a Lincoln. Four complete vehicles have definitely gone between ChongQing and Melbourne supposedly for brake tesing/evaluation which seems a bit strange when they could do that here. I suspect it is a Lincoln coming here for some testing. The only other thing that makes sense is that the prototypes for the new Falcon were made in ChongQing.

#34 · (Edited)
If you look at how many 50 year old Land Rovers are still being used on a regular daily basis on farms, Ford are a bit Johnny come lately to the party.

How many leftLand Rover aluminium workhorses are still around?
LINK

Audi have had no problems mass producing Aluminium cars, and closing the sales gap on BMW with it's reasonable aluminium car prices so why can't Ford & GM car.

Jaguar stunning F-Type flagship is fuel a massive global renaissance & upswing in sales and profits a Jaguar, wow what a car right up there with the Stingray in awesome new cars.

#36 · (Edited)
First off there is a difference and BOF vehicles use of aluminum and full uni-body use. Most aluminum currently in uni-bodies is still used on bolt on panels not complete welded components. The other uses are pretty expensive cars where cost can be recovered. I have a friend that does dent removal for high end cars in Atlanta and the aluminum cars do collect them a lot.

Secondly NEVER EVER use anything remotely related to the concept of reliability with Land Rover if you want to be taken seriously!:fall: After all they are known for their longstanding commitment to quality by finishing dead last in long term reliability surveys for pretty much most of the time they have been doing them....

#42 ·
Like I said in another thread... does it seem odd to anyone that a $25,000 Ford work truck would be aluminum, but a range-topping Lincoln sedan wouldn't be?

Regarding RWD sports sedans, trust me when I say no one should be worrying about the BMW 5-Series any longer as a benchmark:

Between the electric engine, adjustable suspension, dealer experience, and overall execution, it's simply incredible. If you haven't driven one yet, I strongly suggest you schedule a test drive.

This is the type of car that fits right into Lincoln's new direction as a technological wonder, and you can bet anything RWD will be far more Tesla than it is CTS.

Reactions: johnstarnes
#43 ·
This is the type of car that fits right into Lincoln's new direction as a technological wonder, and you can bet anything RWD will be far more Tesla than it is CTS.
Glad to see Ford's Engineers are now working on a decent RWD Lincoln, it has been sad watching the Cinderella left in the background sidelined deprived of resources watching Ford pour billions down its Jaguar/Land Rover money pit.

Great news a aluminium RWD Lincoln wow & Caddy that are already giving BMW salesman a few sleepless nights, sounds a great idea to me, like you say it won't be an easy sale/ride for BMW & Mercedes anymore that for sure.

#47 · (Edited)
Clarification:

I had a conversation, yesterday, with an "aluminum insider": "How is Ford's '15 F-150 going to impact things for your company?" "Well, what we're REALLY excited about is Ford's 'Falcon' program..." Follow-up questions were answered with "a wink 'n a nod".

BTW, this is an NA source, NOT Australian...

Carry on...

Perhaps someone on/from a Ford forum may be able to find/share more. For sure, SOMEONE knows something...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.