GM Inside News Forum banner

Alfa Based Barracuda Convertible Coming?

15K views 53 replies 28 participants last post by  maxaccel 
#1 ·
See less See more
#7 ·
That render looks like it started as a picture of a FR-S, and they didn't even bother to do anything about the front fender scallop.

I'd be pretty sure that the actual car will be very much different. If anyone cares to chop something, the Giulia is a good starting point...

#8 ·
If they go the retro route, I hope it takes it's queue from the 1967-1969 Barracuda. Leave the retro E-body to the Challenger!

#13 ·
#12 ·
Oh yeah, we never got that SRT Barracuda that was being hyped up

#17 ·
Here we go again with speculation that ignores what people involved in the project has already said.

1. The artist's rendering may as well be the next Ford Taurus or Cadillac's "halo car". Has zilch to do with any actual designs or descriptions.

2. Ralph Gilles already stated that if a Barracuda was done, it would be in a totally different direction than the Challenger. He actually went as far to say it would be more contemporary (read: not retro).

3. All of the "Barracuda is a touched up Challenger" fantasy is rooted in the discarded SRT version of the Challenger (the mechanics of which supposedly what became the Hellcat)
that was initially envisioned.

4. Gilles also indicated that this new Barracuda would be centered around a V6 (I'd imagine blown) as it's top power, not a V8.

I would say expect it for 2017CY, but it seems Chrysler seems to change their introduction dates at will lately so no telling.

#26 ·
Here's a fact that will win you a few bets:

The Plymouth Barracuda is actually the FIRST pony car, not the Mustang.

The Plymouth Barracuda went on sale on April 1st, 1964.

The Ford Mustang didn't go on sale till April 17th!

Barracuda was also the first fastback pony car (it was a fastback from the start). Mustang gained one for 1965.

There's a slight resemblance to the 2003 SS Concept.

I'd think this is closer.

#29 ·
Seems like mostly great news. Very glad they are getting rid of the blocky slab o' chunk o' styling of the current platform and going to something more fluid akin to the '99 Charger concept.

Also interesting they say the cuda is convertible only, meaning probably a convertible version of the Challenger more than a totally distinct model. And apparently it's not a Chrysler cuda anymore? That would've made a good name.

Seems at first Fiat wanted to kill Dodge in favor of Chrysler - not appears they want to starve Chrysler and feed Dodge.

#32 ·
I'm more excited about the prospects of a RWD Avenger or if the Charger moves to a D-class car. The concepts shown to the Dealers during the presentations the Cuda was presented included a Charger based on the Same Alfa Giulia platform.

I love the idea of a true performance division for the everyman that is Dodge. Even better if they have a midsize sedan that is RWD. I think Dodge has shown people are willing to forgo some economy for a RWD V8 vehicle. I know I would be waiting in line for a V6 RWD midsize'r, especially with the new Dodge styling.....and would gladly pay a couple more grand for it vs. an appliance like a Camary or Malibu.

#33 ·
For the curious, this is the new Giulia:

It's in the same class as the 3 Series, C class and ATS. It is rumored to get a Ferrari developed, 3.0TT of around 510 horsepower. Something to ponder...

#37 ·
I like the upcoming cud abased off the Alfa Giuliani chassis ...

I'd prefer a 707 hp s/c hemi fitted to that chassis....

That would be insane!

#49 ·
Many consider the first muscle car the 1955 Chrysler 300 C equipped with a hemi engine and dual carter four barrel carburetors.

This thread has gone totally away from the original post.

#52 ·
Muscle cars were a byproduct of an era that included demographics, psychographics, and racing, among other things. If it wasn't for the burgeoning NASCAR and NHRA scenes, the GTO wouldn't have happened....hell, if it wasn't for the AMA ban, the GTO probably wouldn't have happened.

Simply put (?), the GTO was the first muscle car, but there were muscle cars before the GTO.

It's just the Olds 88 wasn't one of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.