GM Inside News Forum banner

4.5L V8 Turbo Corvette & 2016 Flagship Cadillac Sedan

47K views 177 replies 80 participants last post by  Slideways 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
We Learn GM Plans 4.5-liter V8 Turbo for Corvette, Flagship Cadillac Sedan Coming in 2016
Carscoops
September 18, 2013

We recently came across some interesting information from a credible source about future products for GM's Chevrolet and Cadillac brands, and which to some extent, are interconnected.

We'll begin with Chevrolet as we learned that the Corvette's immediate future includes a more potent version of the 4.5-liter twin-turbocharged and direct-injection engine that GM debuted on the Cadillac Elmiraj Concept just last month.

We're told that the new V8 will most likely be used in the successor of the Z06, rumored to be called Z07. While in the Elmiraj, it produced an estimated 500hp, in the Corvette, it could push out as much as 600 horses (unconfirmed).

Full article at link.

See less See more
#3 ·
Of course, such info needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but it does match some other intel we have been hearing. If used in a Corvette, I would assume the engine must be a small block, and since GM no longer has another line of gasoline V8s, that seems likely, even in 4.5L displacement. I can imagine that this smaller displacement is more critical for Cadillac than Chevrolet, as cars like the twin turbo Audi 4.0L V8 S and RS models can scoot to 60 in around 4 seconds while still returning fuel economy of 17/27 city/highway, so those CTS-Vs pulling in 12/18 are not going to cut it. This may be more of a have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too-engine.

#16 ·
Yes indeed.

Perhaps this will involve the DM 4.5 effort & tooling.......I mean, there has to be some ( many ) reasons why they are not mentioning a 4.0....

_________

Same good feeling with regard to a 'new' and hopefully properly optimized 3.0L V6.

#11 · (Edited)
While an all new v8 for Cadillac is completely believable, sharing said engine with corvette... yeah I don't think so. Especially since one of the leaks about the corvette clearly shows a engine with a supercharger on top.
Are you guys forgetting about those leaked schematic screen shots from before the corvette was revealed that ended up being 100% accurate? Two engines (one with a supercharger) can clearly be seen in them.

#13 ·
The story from Car Scoop, I would not take too seriously. However, the premium Cadillac getting the 3.0 turbocharged engine as a base trim does not seem right to me but we will see in the future of how many engines the Cadillac will have. The BMW 7 and Audi A8 has turbocharged engines a little over 300 horses so it could be possible.

I see nothing wrong the engine being shared with the Corvette Z07 since the car is going to be a little south of $100,000.

And about the new 3.0 turbocharged engine, I am betting that it will replace the natural aspirated 3.6L engine and I bet the horsepower and torque will increase a little over 321 and torque matching the horsepower if the story is true.

#24 ·
Right, but the problem is their 3.0 motors put nearly 300 at the wheels. Audi's puts it at all 4.
GM's 3.0 will be SAE rated 320 hp, and you know GM is going to mate it to a standard torque converter riddled automatic, so you'd be looking at a motor with 250 at the wheels.
Not very competitive and especially when one factors in the fuel economy the vehicles are likely to get.

Unless GM works with some VVL that 3.0 will be deficient. The 3.6TT is already barely potent at 420 horse seeing how that motor is only going to be putting some 320 RWHP down through an automatic.

#15 ·
V-6's in the Flagship would be a disaster. Cadillac should not overlook anything. Using the new S Class as the measuring stick, it has got to be better, in every way possible. It should be all V-8's, except for the very top, which should be a 600-700 hp. V10.

I would also like to see variants , a Coupe, (2017) and possibly a Conv. to follow in 2018.

#22 ·
I wonder if the 4.5 V8 could be used in NON turbo form as a "base" v8 for the CAMARO to bridge from the 3.6L and the 6.2L LT1
and back to CADDY I could also see the 3.0T start being a top NON V/Vsport engine in NON turbo form fore the ATS/CTS and the TT version being the ATS/CTS V engine + if it is OHC/DOHC it will "shut up" a lot of people complaining about a "push rod" Chevy truck engine

#86 ·
While that would be cool, don't forget that Camaro is competing with the 5.0L Mustang.

The next Mustang will have a 305-325HP 3.7L V6, rumored turbo 2.3L putting out as much as 350HP, and a 5.0L with around 440HP. Camaro will have a ~330HP V6 and a 450HP V8 I think a turbo V6 would be a better fit in between there that way the the turbo fans have an engine and the V8 fans have an engine.

I call BS on the C7 Z using such an engine. The Z06 was about weight reduction and more in the style of what the Camaro Z28 became (all out track car) and a TT V8 will add weight and complexity. I expect to see the Z06 replacment more along the lines of the Z28, a stripped out track car.
That is why it could be called Z07, since it doesn't fit the Z06 formula. They could also call it ZR1.

#23 ·
I call BS on the C7 Z using such an engine. The Z06 was about weight reduction and more in the style of what the Camaro Z28 became (all out track car) and a TT V8 will add weight and complexity. I expect to see the Z06 replacment more along the lines of the Z28, a stripped out track car.

#35 ·
I find it entertaining that people keep saying "make a new engine" as if it was like making bread.

Do people not realize that developing a new engine is $1Billion+ and several years of test and development? Even a variant is several $100's of Millions and several years.

If an engine can be reused in multiple applications (assuming it is a good engine), that is a much better idea, freeing up capital for other things.

#36 · (Edited)
Developement of a new engine is very expensive, it takes huge amounts of time and money. New tooling to produce it, and training employees to manufacture it is also quite costly. Additionally the costs of keeping it compliant with emissions regs, fuel economy standards, and technological advances is huge. That is why it makes great sense for GM to base a low production engine for Cadillac on an existing engine case. By using an existing engine family as the basis for a "premium" engine they can take advantage of much of thier exisiting engineering and thereby reduce the cost of the engine dramatically. In this case the 60 degree LFX engine case. It makes it easy to produce 3 very different engines, a 60 degree V6, a 60 Degree V8 with a split pin crank and a balance shaft, and a 60 Degree V10 with a split pin crank and a balance shaft. At 3.6, 4.8 and 6.0 respectively they share the same internals except for the crankshaft, further reducing the cost to produce. Because the only difference between the engines of varing numbers of cylinders is overall length the accessory drive is constant and the plumbing for turbos or normal asperation become a constant. The use of a "preimum" engine in Cadillac will be significantly less costly (due to overhead absorbition) and therefor more likely if it has another "preimum" application, the Corvette Z series cars. By the way the narrower angle of the 60 degree engine case would provide more room for turbos to mount on the block between the frame rails of the Corvette chasiss. I for one would have no problem with a 4.8 litre quad turbo V8 variable valve lift engine that produces 700 hp in a ZR1 or a 4.8 twin turbo at 580 hp in the Z06/7

#37 ·
Now I'm wondering what we will see in the top Camaro and CTS-V. I'm still hopping for a supercharged LT1.

#42 ·
Why are people complaining about Cadillac engine exclusivity? The high point of the CTS-V to date has always been it's engine... It's what's kept the CTS-V in the same conversation as it's competitors. What's hurt the CTS-V has been it's pricing, size, quality and fit and finish. Never it's performance from that "old Chevy pushrod". Please. The small block has been wiping the floor with it's european rivals for some time now... Why would the new, more advanced generation, with all of the bells and whistles be any different.

#48 ·
"Cadillac should not have ANY technology all to itself. Share the engines and other components. All Cadillac should have is have a certain look and certain featurs, but not have its own engine, transmission etc all to itself."

The point above is devastatingly miss-focused. Luxury is about exclusivity. Styling, features and equipment all comprise aspects that differentiate a luxury brand.

There's nothing wrong with technology 'trickling down', but all high-end technology from GM should first be introduced in Cadillac, and LATER shared with the lesser brands.

#51 ·
"Cadillac should not have ANY technology all to itself. Share the engines and other components. All Cadillac should have is have a certain look and certain featurs, but not have its own engine, transmission etc all to itself."

The point above is devastatingly miss-focused. Luxury is about exclusivity. Styling, features and equipment all comprise aspects that differentiate a luxury brand.

There's nothing wrong with technology 'trickling down', but all high-end technology from GM should first be introduced in Cadillac, and LATER shared with the lesser brands.
^ This

#50 ·
Seeing as the smallest displacement V8 ever in a Corvette was 4.8L (283-cid), I just don't like the sound of a 4.5L V8 (even if it is a turbo) nor do I believe it. Remember the whole 5.5L displacement rumor? Something just doesn't pass the sniff test, and seeing the source... I'm not buying it. The "base" Stingray is 6.2L. Any "up-level" V8 Corvette (be it Z06, or ZR1) will displace at least 6.2L... regardless if its naturally aspirated, supercharged, turbocharged, or both. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.