GM Inside News Forum banner

2017 Cadillac CT6 PHEV Reportedly Testing in Baltimore MD

15K views 65 replies 22 participants last post by  asrapid1 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
GM Volt Forum: Cadillac CT6 Hybrid Currently Testing
James Ayre/Gas2
October 28, 2015

A fleet of the upcoming Cadillac CT6 plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) is being tested on the East Coast, according to recent comments on an online electric car forum. To be more specific here, a user going by “mczajka” on the GM Volt forums commented recently that s/he was told, in person, by an employee at GM’s Baltimore Operations plant, that roughly a week previous to the conversation in question, 5 or 6 Cadillac CT6 PHEVs were brought to the facility. Employees were then given the opportunity test drive the plug-ins apparently — suggesting that the model is currently undergoing testing.
Follow the above link for more.

See less See more
#3 ·
The idea that the CT6 is not an S-Class competitor is literally under-promising, and over-delivering by Cadillac.

Compare:

From Benz site:

1) The S-Class Plug-In Hybrid also offers multiple drive modes so you can customize how you want to spend and recover energy.

The CT6- Plug-In Hybrid will allow driver to choose among three operating modes named Normal, Sport and Hold:

2) The S-Class Plug-In Hybrid will drive solely on electric power up to 20 miles

The CT6 Plug-In Hybrid will drive solely on electric power up to 37 miles

3) S-Class Plug-in Hybrid Combined power output of 436 hp, 479 lb-ft of torque (3.0-liter V6 gasoline engine + electric motor)

Acceleration: 0-to-60 mph in 5.2 seconds

CT6 Plug-in Hybrid combined power output of 335hp, 432 lb-ft of torque (2.0L Turbo+ Electric motor)

Acceleration: TBA.. but I'm betting it is lower than that 5.2 seconds

4) S-Class Plug-In is est city/highway: 21/26 mpg

CT6 Plug-in is est to be more than double that of the conventional CT6 (which we kno is similar in many respects, due to weigh savings, to that of the CTS (2.0L Turbo with 6speed gets 20/30MPG).. so a CT6 Plug in coming in at 40/60mpg???

Keep in mind that the S-Class Plug-In Hybrid is est (by C&D) to come in at an almost "Tahoe like" 5100lbs. I gonna throw the cash down on "Black" and say that this CT6 Plug-in will still not cross the 4000 mark.

Reactions: hydrogen and Butz
#5 ·
Wondering what the cost will be. The Mercedes S Hybrid starts at MSRP: From $94,400.. and some how the LS600 Hybrid starts at $120K

#6 ·
Cool. I drive past that plant daily. They make the electric motor there for the Spark EV, and it sounds like they'll be producing them for the CT6 as well.

I'll have to ask a buddy that works there if he knows anything more.

PS: This GM plant was also producing electric motors for BMW X5 Hybrid a couple of years ago.

#7 ·
i forgot that U are in B-More until I looked at your location.

I also called a buddy over there.. he said yeah. They have been testing the CT6. He said its phenomenal.

#10 ·
It won't get 60 mpg highway, not unless you're looking at MPGe in EV mode. A Prius PI barely gets 50 mpg highway when it's not in EV mode. I would say 40 mpg could potentially be possible though, given an Avalon Hybrid that weighs less gets that sort of mileage.

I won't compare it to the S-Class Hybrid though. That's much more of a conventional luxury car and I fully expect its interior experience to be different. The CT6 PI should easily have the dynamics to be a different sort of a car, like comparing a Panamera Hybrid to the S Hybrid, it's just not pragmatic to me.

LS Hybrid is a joke, both in performance and fuel economy. To a lesser extent so was the previous ActiveHybrid 7. I have not liked the large hybrid sedan options we've had so far, from any brand. Particularly frustrating when I think of how awesome Lexus could be if they did it right. Pair their 5.0L up to an advanced contemporary system (motors in the front wheels and another for the engine) and we're easily talking 600+ horsepower with the economy of a conventional V-6.

#14 ·
It won't get 60 mpg highway, not unless you're looking at MPGe in EV mode. A Prius PI barely gets 50 mpg highway when it's not in EV mode. I would say 40 mpg could potentially be possible though, given an Avalon Hybrid that weighs less gets that sort of mileage.

Malibu Hybrid is supposed to come in at around 50.. Maybe Cadillac got a lil extra "uuumph" this time around.And BTW.. an Effin Prius ain't Voltec. That isn't bias.. (well a lil:D ) that's fact

I won't compare it to the S-Class Hybrid though. That's much more of a conventional luxury car and I fully expect its interior experience to be different. The CT6 PI should easily have the dynamics to be a different sort of a car, like comparing a Panamera Hybrid to the S Hybrid, it's just not pragmatic to me.
The comparisons will be made. I guarantee U see a comparo between the CT6 and the S-Class, 7Series, and A8. They will do everything they can of course to try and bolster the Germans:mad:

#11 ·
Anyone know if the drivetrain is based on the new Voltec electric transmission used in the Volt and Malibu Hybrid? If so GM will be able to save a ton of money by using the same transmission design for everything from a compact (Volt) to a large (CT6) sedan. This transmission also supports pure battery (Bolt), plug-in electric (Volt, CT6) and strong hybrid (Malibu) propulsion systems. If they all drive anything like the new Volt, I think they may a winner. Can't wait to see Voltec powered SUVs and trucks. Wonder if we will see Voltec based AWD and 4WD platforms using an extra motor to power the second axle?

#17 ·
Agreed. When I posted it I felt like I was doing someone else's job. :D

#20 ·
Still about 1000lbs lighter

#23 ·
Not that GM has major plans for Cadillac in Japan for obvious reasons, but they should push this version of the CT6 in Japan. Luxury hybrids are king there, where V-8s have quickly left. In fact, none of the domestic options (Legend, Fuga/Cima, Proudia/Dignity, Crown/Crown Majesta, GS) even offer a V-8 anymore if they did previously. Hybrids are another matter entirely, so the CT6 might be a great alternative, niche as it will be, being a LHD Cadillac. I could see it being on sale in Japan as an LGX or hybrid. Doubt there's much of a market for the conventional twin-turbo, though the 2.0T could be a "maybe".

Speaking of which, has their been any talk at Cadillac of this system being made available in the CTS?

#26 ·
It looks like the Mercedes is something like 11.7 pounds per horsepower, and if the CT6 hybrid weighs in at lets say 4,300 pounds it will pack a power to weight ratio of 12.8 pounds per horsepower (giving the Mercedes the edge in power to weight ratio). Though I would expect the CT6 to get better fuel economy, if the CT6 hybrid came in at 4,000 pounds then 11.9 pounds per horsepower (close to the Mercedes). Depending on how things stack up even with less power you might get similar performance but much better fuel economy in the CT6.

#27 ·
I don't think it will be that simple. Gotta factor in things like the efficiency of the AWD system (prob not a factor here, but look at the GT-R; it makes no sense just looking at the bare facts) but also the bearing that torque (which is almost neck and neck between the two) will have on off-the-line acceleration, where that torque comes in and from with each, and how relevant that is in a 0-60 and 1/4 mile.

I think the numbers will be, like I said, probably around 5.5s but would not be shocked to see it lower. I don't believe CT6 will lack in terms of the actual driving experience though, which is really all I think you can expect from a full-size hybrid that will get in excess of 70mpge.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ew-cadillac-ct-plug-electric-option/16566555/

#44 ·
I really hope they will put this plug-in powertrain in the upcoming XT5 ute. As intriguing as this CT6 is, I don't need a very large sedan. The XT5 would be the sweet spot, and also where I think a much larger selling prospect exists. There are a lot of Volt owners who've been waiting for the small ute version that GM has teased since about 5 years ago, many of whom have the means to go upmarket in price. GM has been missing this boat in a big way.

#57 ·
I just don't really see the point of comparing Cadillac's CT6 with the S-Class. For the most part you don't really see a lot of comparisons between Panameras, Quattroportes, or XJs with the S-Class (the latter occasionally in a large comparo, but that's about it). It's because conceptually they are fairly different flagships for each brand. The Panamera is a sports car that happens to be large and roomy enough to be a large sedan. In spite of it offering a LWB version and so on, it's really not a limo like large German sedans. Quattroportes and XJs are more emotional and sporty, not meant to maximize the technology and comfort that the German sedans have intended to do for years. In theory the CT6 is more like, I dunno, a XJ or A8, than an S-Class. Somewhat sportier, yet more formal than a Panamera. The real thing that I think has caused concern for some (me included) is that so far the interior seems to be in no way comparable to the German sedans. It certainly doesn't look bad an I'm sure the tech will be vastly superior to the Jaguar or Maserati, but the details overall don't indicate something that can compete with the S-Class, A8, or 7-Series. But we'll see what happens once they sell it. Fortunately that is something they can fix if they so choose. On the plus side the Cadillac should be agile enough to have its own advantages, though I have said before that I think they should've prioritized an insane interior and phenomenal design over absolute dynamics. It's simply more "Cadillac" of them to do so. Same reason that an XJ being mushy but lavish isn't being entirely Jaguar-ish (and in part why the stuffy previous XJs were not in line with what they should have made). But again, the result is that the CT6 and S-Class are really not that comparable, not in the real world anyway, for better or worse. No one will care that the Mercedes is less dynamically impressive or lighter. Those have never been traits that popularized the S-Class. It'd be like proposing making an Omega Escalade replacement that is almost a sports crossover. Why? That's not why people want Escalades.

#58 ·
On the plus side the Cadillac should be agile enough to have its own advantages, though I have said before that I think they should've prioritized an insane interior and phenomenal design over absolute dynamics. It's simply more "Cadillac" of them to do so. Same reason that an XJ being mushy but lavish isn't being entirely Jaguar-ish (and in part why the stuffy previous XJs were not in line with what they should have made).
The CT6 IS more of a Cadillac and is Cadillac of Cadillacs. Just because Cadillac engineering it to be more of a driver's car does not mean it will lack comfort and refinement. The CT6 will surprise a lot of people and couple of people I heard, not directly from the critics, have said the car is incredible and phenomenal. The CT6 represents the traditional Cadillac of the 60's and before with new school taste.

The CT6 is not a direct competitor to the S Class but it will get cross shop regardless. The interior, we have to see if any last minute updates have been applied until the reviews come out. The interior is not much of a deal breaker as long the car meets most people's needs and generally a lot of people may prefer it over the S Class and 7 Series. Again, have to wait and see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.