2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo? - Page 3

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 80

Thread: 2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

  1. #31
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 chevypowa670's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    chicagoland
    Posts
    3,840
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 57 Times in 37 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

    Re: 2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    The CTS Coupe and Wagon will be unchanged for 2014, which is why the VIN card is identical to 2013.
    Cool.

    Thanks for clearing that up.
    "What about that "best all-around subcompact car" business? Yeah, we're gonna say it: The Chevy Sonic manual or auto is just that. You heard it, Fiesta fanatics"

    -Inside line.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 spidge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,552
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts

    Re: 2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ammo View Post
    GREAT move. Methinks it'll get 23/34 or 24/35. (placing it right in ILX territory while being more powerful than the breathless ILX)

    Offer some HIDs, LED tail lamps and LED accents in the headlights and I'll officially want this car.

    A Verano GS would be nice too.

    Here's hoping this powertrain comes in the Regal too.
    Agreed, though having driven the ILX, I wouldn't call it "breathless."

    Offer all those features in the GTC body style, and I'LL officially want this car.

    But overall, THIS helps to distinguish this from the Cruze, and really justify a higher price. Along with the luxury trimmings.

  4. #33
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts

    Re: 2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

    If the Verano has a 1.6 SIDI turbo @ 190 hp as a base engine, it opens up some interesting posibilities for the Cruze. Chevy could use the new 2.5 litre SIDI engine from the Malibu in the LTZ. Allowing the Verano to maintain its upmarket position compaired to the Cruze. The Buick with smooth torque that makes acceleration seem effortless, and the Cruze with a more gradual acceleration that consumes more revs. Both cars would be much improved but very different.

  5. #34
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 MechEng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 154 Times in 85 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt Blue Topaz

    Re: 2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
    I'm thinking the Sonic and Cruze are getting diesels. The engine choices on Sonic don't seem logical, a 1.4T, 1.8L, 1.6L and the diesel. Why would there be three gas engine choices? Why would Sonic be getting a 1.6L while Cruze gets carry over engines?
    GMNA makes the Sonic in two factory's one in Michigan and the other in Mexico. We in the US and Canada get the Michigan Sonics while the factory in Mexico makes Sonics for Central America. This is why there are four engines listed for the Sonic.

    Keep in mind that 1.6L you see for the Sonic is not a Turbo. I think it's a Mexico version along with the 1.3L TDI. Also the 1.3TDI engine has been sold in europe for the last little while.

    Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1 View Post
    I wonder if this is going to be the basis for the range extender engine in the Volt and ELR. They need an engine that makes lots of low end torque, so they can keep the RPMs very low most of the time while the engine is running (to solve the Volt's current NVH when the engine runs, which really won't fly for a Cadillac.)
    Volt is still listed as using the 1.4L LUU engine.

    A 1.6L Turbo is WAY too much engine for Voltec. There is however a large number of 1.6L varients in both Turbo and NA form. The ELR (not listed in this VIN card) I could see get a non-turbo 1.6L.

  6. #35
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 oklapike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,937
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
    My Ride
    Camaro SS 45th AE

    Re: 2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    If the Cruze doesn't get this as an option that would be ludicrous. As others are saying the 1.8L engine needs to go away, the 1.4T should be the base engine (it's no better than a base engine anyway) and the 1.6 should be standard on all LT Models. That would fix the Cruze's most glaring weakness-the powertrain. Now, about those seats......
    My wife and I have a Cruze that I use as my DD. Let me tell you, the 1.4L turbo is much, much better than the base 1.8L. They may have the same HP rating, but the 1.4 turbo has a lot more torque...and that 148 ft-lbs is available from 1850 RPM. Nice, flat torque curve...I think the 1.4 turbo suits the Cruze perfectly, but it does need an uplevel engine option.

  7. #36
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

    My sources show the LEA 2.4L 4-cylinder as the base engine for the Verano for 2014.

  8. #37
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,352
    Thanks
    313
    Thanked 141 Times in 94 Posts

    Re: 2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by oklapike View Post
    My wife and I have a Cruze that I use as my DD. Let me tell you, the 1.4L turbo is much, much better than the base 1.8L. They may have the same HP rating, but the 1.4 turbo has a lot more torque...and that 148 ft-lbs is available from 1850 RPM. Nice, flat torque curve...I think the 1.4 turbo suits the Cruze perfectly, but it does need an uplevel engine option.
    I drove one and regular driving it's OK but any emergency manuever made me see my life pass before my eyes. If you come to a stop or near stop on the freeway and have to speed up quickly forget about it. This engine just has no guts in a car this heavy. As a base engine it's adequate as the up-level engine it's really not impressive, IMO.
    I suggest you try using Premium gas, it seems to make a big difference in these engines and your turbo will be happier.

  9. #38
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    777
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    My Ride
    2012 Cruze LTZ, 2012 S60 T6

    Re: 2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

    The Verano is really looking like one of the best stars in GMs lineup. If only they would fix the manual seat recline.

  10. #39
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 oklapike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,937
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
    My Ride
    Camaro SS 45th AE

    Re: 2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    I drove one and regular driving it's OK but any emergency manuever made me see my life pass before my eyes. If you come to a stop or near stop on the freeway and have to speed up quickly forget about it. This engine just has no guts in a car this heavy. As a base engine it's adequate as the up-level engine it's really not impressive, IMO.
    I suggest you try using Premium gas, it seems to make a big difference in these engines and your turbo will be happier.
    I agree, it should replace the 1.8L as the base engine. We have put premium in from time to time, it depends a lot on how prices are. When premium's over $4 a gallon, I'm not going to put it in the Cruze, especially when my other car requires 91 octane at a minimum.

  11. #40
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,352
    Thanks
    313
    Thanked 141 Times in 94 Posts

    Re: 2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by oklapike View Post
    I agree, it should replace the 1.8L as the base engine. We have put premium in from time to time, it depends a lot on how prices are. When premium's over $4 a gallon, I'm not going to put it in the Cruze, especially when my other car requires 91 octane at a minimum.
    Understandable. The Shell station is always go to has Premiun for only 20 cents more per gallon than regular. When I get a turbo car that's going into the tank

  12. #41
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Warren, Ohio
    Posts
    2,784
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 79 Times in 55 Posts

    Re: 2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ppmammp View Post
    If the Verano has a 1.6 SIDI turbo @ 190 hp as a base engine, it opens up some interesting posibilities for the Cruze. Chevy could use the new 2.5 litre SIDI engine from the Malibu in the LTZ. Allowing the Verano to maintain its upmarket position compaired to the Cruze. The Buick with smooth torque that makes acceleration seem effortless, and the Cruze with a more gradual acceleration that consumes more revs.
    So GM is going to artifically hold back the volume leading Cruze to keep afloat the low volume Verano?
    GM does not have the brand recognition to sell one hit numbers like Toyota/Honda has. For GM to get 3-400K units out of one model, like the Cruze, they are going to have to attract buyers with variety.

  13. #42
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,352
    Thanks
    313
    Thanked 141 Times in 94 Posts

    Re: 2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowboy View Post
    So GM is going to artifically hold back the volume leading Cruze to keep afloat the low volume Verano?
    GM does not have the brand recognition to sell one hit numbers like Toyota/Honda has. For GM to get 3-400K units out of one model, like the Cruze, they are going to have to attract buyers with variety.
    GM pulled the same crap when Pontiac was around. Held back the Chevy. You'd think GM would learn by now.

  14. #43
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Novak454's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Michigan - What's left of it...
    Posts
    1,171
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts

    Re: 2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

    I've been driving my new Verano for a week now, and the base 2.4 I-4 is NOT hurting for power. I was (maybe) cruising I-696 2 days ago at a steady 100 and it was absolutely solid and not out of breath. I was apprehensive about the car (2 year lease, nice deal w/ the maint incl), but now understand the draw to people like me with commutes but who don't like being stuck in a penalty box. MORE power would only make the car better than it already is.
    Current rides: 2013 Buick Verano, 2011 Dodge Durango.
    Past rides: 2006 GTO, 2005 Vibe (best car I've ever owned), 2006 Odyssey (the worst vehicle I've ever owned), 2005 Envoy, 2002 Wrangler, 2002 S10, 2000 Sierra C1500, 1997 Sierra K1500 (2nd best car I've ever owned), 1996 Stratus, 1996 SW1 Saturn, 1994 Toyota Pickup (4x4 - 2nd worst car I've ever owned), 1992 Dakota, 1988 GMC Suburban, 1987 S10 Blazer, 1985 Scrambler, 1980 Tercel

  15. #44
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8 fakeout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,411
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: 2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

    Let me see, we might get the Chevrolet Trax and Buick Encore in Canada. So, let's see if my little brain can compute: Chevrolet Cruze = 140 hp, Buick Verano = 180 hp; Chevrolet Trax = 140 hp, Buick Encore = 140 hp? No, my brain does not compute.

    Well, at least it makes sense to me that Buick would have all turbos.
    AWD wagons
    Feeling Good by David Burns

    Biodiesel forum
    http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751
    Fuel documentary
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CBOdgBlk8

  16. #45
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,225
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 68 Times in 41 Posts

    Re: 2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by fakeout View Post
    Let me see, we might get the Chevrolet Trax and Buick Encore in Canada. So, let's see if my little brain can compute: Chevrolet Cruze = 140 hp, Buick Verano = 180 hp; Chevrolet Trax = 140 hp, Buick Encore = 140 hp? No, my brain does not compute.

    Well, at least it makes sense to me that Buick would have all turbos.
    Encore needs the 1.6L in the worst way. I would strongly consider the Encore with that engine. No go for the 1.4L though.

  17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2