2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 376 Posts
    Blog Entries

2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

2014 GM documents suggest Verano will gain a base turbo engine.
    www.GMInsideNews.com
    December 21, 2012
    By: Nick Saporito

Earlier this week several websites discovered General Motors' 2014 VIN cards. Housed within the document are all of the theoretical combinations of engines, assembly plants and other details for many 2014 products, including the Buick Verano. According to the Verano's VIN card, for 2014 the small Buick will swap out its base Ecotec 2.4-liter in favor a new 1.6-liter turbo engine.

Wearing the RPO code (internal codes at GM) of LVP, the engine is listed as a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder with variable valve timing and direct fuel injection. The 1.6-liter displacement is nothing new at GM as the company's European operations have utilized Ecotec 1.6-liters for several years, and GMI has confirmed in the past that this displacement would arrive in North America in the future.

In Europe the 1.6-liter turbo generates about 192 horsepower and 170 foot-pounds of torque. Assuming the engine would generate similar figures in the Verano, the 1.6-liter turbo would be an extremely viable replacement for today's 2.4-liter, which generates 180 horsepower and 171 foot-pounds of torque. Factoring in that the turbo mill generates nearly all of its torque at around 1,900 rpm, and the 1.6-liter quickly becomes an obvious good pick for the Verano.

The 2.4-liter in today's Verano received mixed reviews with the small Buick launched last year. While the power of this mill moves the portly Verano decently, the car has caught flak from journalists for its modest fuel economy ratings, which are 21/31 for city and highway, respectively.

In the past next year's VIN cards have not served as sources of new information, however we can authenticate that the cards themselves are legitimate as they are housed on a GM-owned domain. The question at this point is if someone just put the wrong engine on the Verano's VIN card, or if the car really is getting a new engine that no one really knew about.

No other significant changes are expected on the 2014 Verano at this time. The car will also retain its recently-added 2.0-liter turbo for higher end trim options.
    Last edited by nsap; 12-21-2012 at 09:45 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: 2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

GREAT move. Methinks it'll get 23/34 or 24/35. (placing it right in ILX territory while being more powerful than the breathless ILX)

Offer some HIDs, LED tail lamps and LED accents in the headlights and I'll officially want this car.

A Verano GS would be nice too.

Here's hoping this powertrain comes in the Regal too.
    Last edited by Ammo; 12-21-2012 at 09:47 AM.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

Sounds like a winning formula to me, hoping it's true! I wish they would offer this engine in the Cruze. Make the 1.4T base and the 1.6T an option, It's really the least they should do for that car.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

why is the Cruze not showing a diesel? The Sonic is showing a diesel option. Hasnt the Cruze diesel been confirmed? Don't get it. Bad news: looks like the 2014 CTS is unchanged from 2013.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    Sounds like a winning formula to me, hoping it's true! I wish they would offer this engine in the Cruze. Make the 1.4T base and the 1.6T an option, It's really the least they should do for that car.
    Cruze is listed and it doesnt get the 1.6. Probably due to the fact that they are focusing on the diesel.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Terrain/2012/Olympic White

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    I would agree with you, but the thing is, if GM did such a move. Everyone would cry and scream that its not a true SS version to the Cruze to go against the Civic SI at all with having just under 200HP. Wouldn't be the goal of it i'd think but people would still draw comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammo View Post
    GREAT move. Methinks it'll get 23/34 or 24/35. (placing it right in ILX territory while being more powerful than the breathless ILX)

Offer some HIDs, LED tail lamps and LED accents in the headlights and I'll officially want this car.

A Verano GS would be nice too.

Here's hoping this powertrain comes in the Regal too.
    Agree on all points!!! HID kit can be added without issue as is now since the car has projectors already. Though at that price and the level of content the Verano is at, it should be on the top trim.
    Current:
    2012 GMC Terrain AWD SLT-2 with 3.0L
    2007 Sierra 3500 Classic (dad's)x2
    2009 Chevy HHR (Moms hot rod)
    1997 Toyota Corolla (clown car, mom owns)

Past:
    1994 Ford Ranger
    1994 Ford Explorer

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
    why is the Cruze not showing a diesel? The Sonic is showing a diesel option. Hasnt the Cruze diesel been confirmed? Don't get it.
    Even stranger is the diesel displacement - 1.3L 55KW, 190NM. That is a small diesel and not the one announced as coming to the Cruze.
    Current Driveway Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel
    2013 Sonic LTZ HB
    2008 Colorado CrewCab Z71 2WD
    2011 Cruze LT2 RS (college duty in Florida)
    2003 Porsche Boxster S (sunny days and track events)
    April 2012 to May 2014 - Chevy Volt - 3 tanks of gas in 12.2K miles. Traded for Cruze Diesel for new commute

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Near the Hague (that's in the Netherlands)
    Thanks

"Wearing the RPO code (internal codes at GM) of LVP, the engine is listed as a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder with variable valve timing and direct fuel injection. The 1.6-liter displacement is nothing new at GM as the company's European operations have utilized Ecotec 1.6-liters for several years, and GMI has confirmed in the past that this displacement would arrive in North America in the future.

In Europe the 1.6-liter turbo generates about 192 horsepower and 170 foot-pounds of torque. Assuming the engine would generate similar figures in the Verano, the 1.6-liter turbo would be an extremely viable replacement for today's 2.4-liter, which generates 180 horsepower and 171 foot-pounds of torque. Factoring in that the turbo mill generates nearly all of its torque at around 1,900 rpm, and the 1.6-liter quickly becomes an obvious good pick for the Verano."

Please do not make the mistake in assuming that this 1.6 described here is the engine coming to the Verano. Opel and the rest of GM will introduce a new 1.6 liter with lots of power and lots of torque (up to 222 lbsft). But it has not found its way in any Astra or Insignia so far. That is too bad, because those cars are in urgent need of this engine that promises to be quieter and much more fuel efficient than the current 1.6.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbee60 View Post
    Even stranger is the diesel displacement - 1.3L 55KW, 190NM. That is a small diesel and not the one announced as coming to the Cruze.
    I'm thinking the Sonic and Cruze are getting diesels. The engine choices on Sonic don't seem logical, a 1.4T, 1.8L, 1.6L and the diesel. Why would there be three gas engine choices? Why would Sonic be getting a 1.6L while Cruze gets carry over engines?

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by knack0125 View Post
    I would agree with you, but the thing is, if GM did such a move. Everyone would cry and scream that its not a true SS version to the Cruze to go against the Civic SI at all with having just under 200HP. Wouldn't be the goal of it i'd think but people would still draw comparison.

Agree on all points!!! HID kit can be added without issue as is now since the car has projectors already. Though at that price and the level of content the Verano is at, it should be on the top trim.
    Well then they should offer the 250HP 2.0T in the Cruze and blow the Civic off the road, but then won't they'd prefer to let the car rot, I don't get it. The Verano is sounding better and better though.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Bornfromparents's Avatar
    Thanks

This is great news, this a great little car and it just got better. I was hoping to see this engine sooner rather than later. Although i was hopingthey could squeeze out a little more tq. This would be a better upgrade engine for the sonic rs.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Hmm, maybe GM is trying to posture Buick as a Turbo company again?

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by avdberg View Post
    "Wearing the RPO code (internal codes at GM) of LVP, the engine is listed as a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder with variable valve timing and direct fuel injection. The 1.6-liter displacement is nothing new at GM as the company's European operations have utilized Ecotec 1.6-liters for several years, and GMI has confirmed in the past that this displacement would arrive in North America in the future.

In Europe the 1.6-liter turbo generates about 192 horsepower and 170 foot-pounds of torque. Assuming the engine would generate similar figures in the Verano, the 1.6-liter turbo would be an extremely viable replacement for today's 2.4-liter, which generates 180 horsepower and 171 foot-pounds of torque. Factoring in that the turbo mill generates nearly all of its torque at around 1,900 rpm, and the 1.6-liter quickly becomes an obvious good pick for the Verano."

Please do not make the mistake in assuming that this 1.6 described here is the engine coming to the Verano. Opel and the rest of GM will introduce a new 1.6 liter with lots of power and lots of torque (up to 222 lbsft). But it has not found its way in any Astra or Insignia so far. That is too bad, because those cars are in urgent need of this engine that promises to be quieter and much more fuel efficient than the current 1.6.
    That isn't an assumption on my part. I've done some digging behind the scenes.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

Thanks

Does this imply that the Regal will be getting some additional performance as well?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

How will they be able to call the 2.0T the "Turbo" if the base engine becomes turbocharged? Verano GS would be something of an answer! T type will again not work! I would rather Cadillac go all turbo as a brand before Buick does!

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information