GM Inside News Forum banner

2014 Buick Verano Going Total Turbo?

27K views 79 replies 55 participants last post by  JBsZ06 
#1 · (Edited)
2014 GM documents suggest Verano will gain a base turbo engine.
www.GMInsideNews.com
December 21, 2012
By: Nick Saporito

Earlier this week several websites discovered General Motors' 2014 VIN cards. Housed within the document are all of the theoretical combinations of engines, assembly plants and other details for many 2014 products, including the Buick Verano. According to the Verano's VIN card, for 2014 the small Buick will swap out its base Ecotec 2.4-liter in favor a new 1.6-liter turbo engine.

Wearing the RPO code (internal codes at GM) of LVP, the engine is listed as a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder with variable valve timing and direct fuel injection. The 1.6-liter displacement is nothing new at GM as the company's European operations have utilized Ecotec 1.6-liters for several years, and GMI has confirmed in the past that this displacement would arrive in North America in the future.

In Europe the 1.6-liter turbo generates about 192 horsepower and 170 foot-pounds of torque. Assuming the engine would generate similar figures in the Verano, the 1.6-liter turbo would be an extremely viable replacement for today's 2.4-liter, which generates 180 horsepower and 171 foot-pounds of torque. Factoring in that the turbo mill generates nearly all of its torque at around 1,900 rpm, and the 1.6-liter quickly becomes an obvious good pick for the Verano.

The 2.4-liter in today's Verano received mixed reviews with the small Buick launched last year. While the power of this mill moves the portly Verano decently, the car has caught flak from journalists for its modest fuel economy ratings, which are 21/31 for city and highway, respectively.

In the past next year's VIN cards have not served as sources of new information, however we can authenticate that the cards themselves are legitimate as they are housed on a GM-owned domain. The question at this point is if someone just put the wrong engine on the Verano's VIN card, or if the car really is getting a new engine that no one really knew about.

No other significant changes are expected on the 2014 Verano at this time. The car will also retain its recently-added 2.0-liter turbo for higher end trim options.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
GREAT move. Methinks it'll get 23/34 or 24/35. (placing it right in ILX territory while being more powerful than the breathless ILX)

Offer some HIDs, LED tail lamps and LED accents in the headlights and I'll officially want this car.

A Verano GS would be nice too.

Here's hoping this powertrain comes in the Regal too.

#32 ·
Agreed, though having driven the ILX, I wouldn't call it "breathless."

Offer all those features in the GTC body style, and I'LL officially want this car.

But overall, THIS helps to distinguish this from the Cruze, and really justify a higher price. Along with the luxury trimmings.

#7 ·
why is the Cruze not showing a diesel? The Sonic is showing a diesel option. Hasnt the Cruze diesel been confirmed? Don't get it.
Even stranger is the diesel displacement - 1.3L 55KW, 190NM. That is a small diesel and not the one announced as coming to the Cruze.

#8 ·
"Wearing the RPO code (internal codes at GM) of LVP, the engine is listed as a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder with variable valve timing and direct fuel injection. The 1.6-liter displacement is nothing new at GM as the company's European operations have utilized Ecotec 1.6-liters for several years, and GMI has confirmed in the past that this displacement would arrive in North America in the future.

In Europe the 1.6-liter turbo generates about 192 horsepower and 170 foot-pounds of torque. Assuming the engine would generate similar figures in the Verano, the 1.6-liter turbo would be an extremely viable replacement for today's 2.4-liter, which generates 180 horsepower and 171 foot-pounds of torque. Factoring in that the turbo mill generates nearly all of its torque at around 1,900 rpm, and the 1.6-liter quickly becomes an obvious good pick for the Verano."

Please do not make the mistake in assuming that this 1.6 described here is the engine coming to the Verano. Opel and the rest of GM will introduce a new 1.6 liter with lots of power and lots of torque (up to 222 lbsft). But it has not found its way in any Astra or Insignia so far. That is too bad, because those cars are in urgent need of this engine that promises to be quieter and much more fuel efficient than the current 1.6.

#24 ·
I think CAFE is slowly positioning the entire industry as turbo. Efficient cruise, and a nice blast of power when needed. CAFE improvements probably won't be what they appear to be, though, given owners' predilection for engaging that turbo blast more than needed.

Only downside is when these cars get older. Turbo repairs ain't cheap.

#18 ·
From the Camaro team:

"It is not the final document, as it does not include a complete or accurate list of models or content. As you can imagine, the VIN card requires a tremendous amount of collaboration to verify the production information for each model across all four GM brands sold worldwide.

Rest assured, when we finalize the 2014 VIN card, it will be complete and factually accurate."

#21 ·
^^Agree with everyone on the Cruze. The 1.8 should go away...worse FE, slower, less refined than the 1.4, and it uses a timing belt. One way or the other the 1.4T should be standard....

#26 ·
I wonder if this is going to be the basis for the range extender engine in the Volt and ELR. They need an engine that makes lots of low end torque, so they can keep the RPMs very low most of the time while the engine is running (to solve the Volt's current NVH when the engine runs, which really won't fly for a Cadillac.)

#33 ·
If the Verano has a 1.6 SIDI turbo @ 190 hp as a base engine, it opens up some interesting posibilities for the Cruze. Chevy could use the new 2.5 litre SIDI engine from the Malibu in the LTZ. Allowing the Verano to maintain its upmarket position compaired to the Cruze. The Buick with smooth torque that makes acceleration seem effortless, and the Cruze with a more gradual acceleration that consumes more revs. Both cars would be much improved but very different.

#41 ·
If the Verano has a 1.6 SIDI turbo @ 190 hp as a base engine, it opens up some interesting posibilities for the Cruze. Chevy could use the new 2.5 litre SIDI engine from the Malibu in the LTZ. Allowing the Verano to maintain its upmarket position compaired to the Cruze. The Buick with smooth torque that makes acceleration seem effortless, and the Cruze with a more gradual acceleration that consumes more revs.
So GM is going to artifically hold back the volume leading Cruze to keep afloat the low volume Verano?
GM does not have the brand recognition to sell one hit numbers like Toyota/Honda has. For GM to get 3-400K units out of one model, like the Cruze, they are going to have to attract buyers with variety.

#43 ·
I've been driving my new Verano for a week now, and the base 2.4 I-4 is NOT hurting for power. I was (maybe) cruising I-696 2 days ago at a steady 100 and it was absolutely solid and not out of breath. I was apprehensive about the car (2 year lease, nice deal w/ the maint incl), but now understand the draw to people like me with commutes but who don't like being stuck in a penalty box. MORE power would only make the car better than it already is.

#74 ·
If your cruising at 100MPH why would a car be out of breath? Steady state speed any car should be okay....? It's when you accelerate HARD that you are really pushing the engine to perform.

#44 ·
Let me see, we might get the Chevrolet Trax and Buick Encore in Canada. So, let's see if my little brain can compute: Chevrolet Cruze = 140 hp, Buick Verano = 180 hp; Chevrolet Trax = 140 hp, Buick Encore = 140 hp? No, my brain does not compute.

Well, at least it makes sense to me that Buick would have all turbos.

#48 ·
The car has been doing great without Turbo. As is, Verano is the old school Dr's car and that is an important niche to address. I would offer Turbo but only as an option. If anything, Regal should get the Turbo in order to make the car stand out as more than the mid-kid. I LOVE Regal and want to see Buick do something to make this car stand and SPEED is a great way to do this.

BTW, I was just looking at a Buick/GMC sign and realized that the Tri-Shield always sits between Buick and GMC making it appear as if the logo serves both brands. It occured to me that this is a great idea--GMC has no logo and this would serve to better unify the brands. I love the idea of Buick and GMC being a full line of Prem autos. I'm pretty sure that this would make then the worlds first up market full-service brand.

#55 ·
2014 GM documents suggest Verano will gain a base turbo engine.
www.GMInsideNews.com
December 21, 2012
By: Nick Saporito

Earlier this week several websites discovered General Motors' 2014 VIN cards. Housed within the document are all of the theoretical combinations of engines, assembly plants and other details for many 2014 products, including the Buick Verano. According to the Verano's VIN card, for 2014 the small Buick will swap out its base Ecotec 2.4-liter in favor a new 1.6-liter turbo engine.

In Europe the 1.6-liter turbo generates about 192 horsepower and 170 foot-pounds of torque. Assuming the engine would generate similar figures in the Verano, the 1.6-liter turbo would be an extremely viable replacement for today's 2.4-liter, which generates 180 horsepower and 171 foot-pounds of torque. Factoring in that the turbo mill generates nearly all of its torque at around 1,900 rpm, and the 1.6-liter quickly becomes an obvious good pick for the Verano.

The 2.4-liter in today's Verano received mixed reviews with the small Buick launched last year. While the power of this mill moves the portly Verano decently, the car has caught flak from journalists for its modest fuel economy ratings, which are 21/31 for city and highway, respectively.
This could be a very interesting move for GM.

Engines & Power
-------------------Verano -----------------Forte LX ------Focus SE Hatch----------Dart SXT
Standard Engine --2.4L 180 hp I4 ---------2.0L 156 hp I4 ----2.0L 160 hp I4 -------2.0L 160 hp I4
Horsepower ------180 @ 6700 RPM--------156 @ 6200 RPM---160 @ 6500 RPM ----160 @ 6400 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) ----171 @ 4900 RPM -------144 @ 4300 RPM --146 @ 4450 RPM ----148 @ 4600 RPM

-----------------------------------------------------------Focus ST Hatch
*HP--------------1.6T 192hp I4----------------------252 @ 5500RPM
*Torque (lb-ft)----------170--------------------------270 @ 2500RPM

--------------Weight -------Verano -----Forte LX -----Focus SE Hatch-----Dart SXT
Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3300---------2791----------2948---------------3242
Curb Weight - Manual (lb.)-- No data-------2729----------2920---------------3186
The Verano needs to shed weight. the 1.6 could assist in that
Power and torque would be second to Focus ST.

I know people always tend to want too place the Verano with some of the low selling mid-lux group, however its a dressed up Cruze.

MPG as stated by journalists states the obvious for this group. Avg. The 1.6T may be a better way to in this group, MPG wise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.