GM Inside News Forum banner

V6 production issues.

5K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  germeezy1 
#1 ·
I was talking to Chrysler engineer last night. He told me they are having production problems with the engine blocks. The High pressure castings are cracking when going thur the heat cycle testing and being rejected at the US plant. The Mexico plant production is continuing but the QC in Mexico is very weak. Mexico just tuns out anything to keep production levels high. Everyone is working overtime to try to find a solution and how to figure out how to identify the bad blocks that have already been sold and how to fix them. Now I know why the layoffs and production cuts have been happening at many of the plants.

#5 ·
My window sticker
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
ENGINE: MEXICO
TRANSMISSION: UNITED STATES.

I'll let you know if it blows up. :yup::drive:

#8 ·
I wish I had the time to research where all the parts of my cars are made...but I do know this is what I am doing.....the higher the percentage of "domestic parts", the more likely I am to buy a car. If it is assembled in Canada or the United States, it is also more likely I am to buy it rather than if it is made in Mexico or Korea or anywhere else. Finally, if it is an "American Brand" (GM, Chrysler, Ford), it is more likely I will buy it.

I will not totall rule out a purchase if something violates one of those criteria...but I pretty much am dead set against purchasing a car (no matter how much I like it) if it violates 2 or 3 of them for sure.

#13 ·
PentaStar production problems are a delightful problem to have. it has been a long time since there was not enough capacity.:D

Chrysler built two new brand new plants to build the advanced PentaStar that Mercedes is also building and selling in Europe. Mercedes are selling them although they are trying hard to camaflauge that it is a PentaStar...:rolleyes:

Now Chrysler is investing in an old circa 1952, 60-year old Plant that was building their old V6s, that they planned to demolish, and is equipping a portion with a new line for more PentaStar production.

I'm quite surprised, as they have a much newer facility, Mack Avenue II, only opened in 2001 on Mack Avenue that they could have used instead. That facility is to stop producing another old V6 soon.

Perhaps they plan on using it for a Diesel engine, or maybe the award winning "TwinAir", two cylinder World engine, that would make a superb generator for a Chrysler style Volt, or be installed in Brazilian bound Fiat 500 "hecho en Mexico". ::cool:

#15 ·
Chrysler built two new brand new plants to build the advanced PentaStar that Mercedes is also building and selling in Europe. Mercedes are selling them although they are trying hard to camaflauge that it is a PentaStar...:rolleyes:
Much of the design in the Pentastar came from Mercedes just as much of the grand Cherokee also came from Mercedes. A lot of the technology was from Mercedes engineering. The Charger/300 redesign was also started under Mercedes and mostly completed under Cerberus. It will be interesting to see what FIAT brings to the table. I saw a sh?tbox 500 and it is nothing to be proud of. There is a FIAT dealership in Michican I saw with 50+ 500's sitting on the lot. The 500 is definitely no PT Cruiser with a waiting list and a markup over MSRP. $5,000-$8,000 rebates may get them moving even the gas mileage sucks for such a small "car". So far FIAT is batting zero.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.