First Non-GM car in 12 years

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Non-GM car in 12 years

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

First Non-GM car in 12 years

I have bought GM cars for the last 12 years. Pontiac, Cadillac, 3 GMCs, 5 Chevys. We went looking for a vehicle to replace our 09 Yukon Denali AWD. Denali was very nice but we admit to big for our family. We start looking around at vehicles and decided we wanted AWD. Drove the Enclave and wasn't too impressed with the power or the projected gas mileage of 19mpg. We decided to look at AWD sedans at that point. XTS was about $15k more than what we wanted to spend. Lacrosse was too slow to be honest (Denali was actually quicker).

So we stopped by a Chrysler dealership. We remembered that we liked the way the 300C looked when we were at a car show in January. We drove three 2012 300 vehicles. One was a 300S so it had the V6. Impressive car to be honest. We then looked at two 2012 300C AWDs. One was a luxury series and one was not. We originally bought the one that was not. As it turns out it didn't have the parksense system although it had the $2420 safety tech package. We definitely wanted the parking sensors so the dealer allowed us to switch cars for $1500 difference in price (actual difference in price of vehicles).

The 2012 300C AWD Luxury Series is an amazing automobile. One of the best values out there. It has a 369 HP Hemi V8 that gets around 25-27mpg on the highway cruising at 75-80mph. The car has all the luxury features, even heated/cooled cupholders in the front. Interior material quality is fantastic. We paid around $42k for it. We have been very impressed with it so far. AWD system is amazing. It runs in RWD mode unless it is below 37 degrees, the wipers are on or you use the transmission's paddles to shift the gears. It will engage the front axle if needed otherwise though.

Is it quick? Around 5.5 sec 0-60 so I say that is pretty quick. It is so quiet inside also. Power is very smooth. GM should really look at the 300C as it is tough competition. Especially with the rumored $40k 2014 Impala LTZ coming out. I still have 3 Chevys at my house (2011 Corvette GS Convertible, 2012 Sonic and 2007 Impala SS). I just don't know if my next car will be a GM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Dodge Challenger R/T

Re: First Non-GM car in 12 years

Chrysler has done a very good job of converting former GM customers that are unhappy with the current line of GM products. They are positioned quite well, as a fair amount of their products exist in market segments GM as vacated altogether. Enjoy your 300C, the 5.7L V-8 sure is fun!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Nice write-up of a two-ton AWD Hemi that gets similar highway MPG to my 1.6L GDI 2800 LB. four!

Quote Originally Posted by kvolo12 View Post
    Chrysler has done a very good job of converting former GM customers that are unhappy with the current line of GM products. They are positioned quite well, as a fair amount of their products exist in market segments GM as vacated altogether. Enjoy your 300C, the 5.7L V-8 sure is fun!
    Me like Chrysler.

GO LIONS!

Uhh, I mean, GO TIGERS!!

13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m 79Parisienne

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.--Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Diesel

Chrysler is the first place to look for a domestic RWD coupe (that you can easily see out of, and seat 4 people), or RWD V8 sedan, or an afforibly priced convertible, or a redesigned truck that's not quite F150 size, or a minivan. Then there's Jeep which is a class unto itself, where Chysler owns the whole market.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

My buddy has a Lacrosse and he reciently took out a deer with it and had a 300 v6 rental while it was in the shop. I was lucky enough to have to drive the 300 and i dont see why people buy these. The leather seats were the most uncomfortable ive ever sat in, hard as a brick with no support. The controls for the ac and radio, the rental had touchscreen nav, were confusing and in the sun you couldnt see the screen. The steering and gas were very touchy to me. The worst was the gear selector, it wasnt a mechanical linkage and im still confused on how to get it in gear. The interior was bland, all black and well the exterior shares a lot of looks with my grandmothers 1986 dodge diplomat. Even the exhaust tips were fake as they were molded into the bumper cover and the real pipes sat just a few inches behind them. I drove the first generation 300 before and i liked that car better. i just dont see why so many people like the 300s other than the rwd/awd option and v8 option at a reasonable price....after all rebates.
    so many GM vehicles in my household my driveway looks like a used car lot

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

My brother has a 300C and really likes it. While not the AWD model it is his daily driver even in Michigan winters. It will return 26 MPG on the highway as well. GM offers nothing like it, well they could(Caprice) but chose not too.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I looked at a 300 before purchasing a LaCrosse, I thought the interior was cheap looking and the price was outrageous.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Pisswilly View Post
    I looked at a 300 before purchasing a LaCrosse, I thought the interior was cheap looking and the price was outrageous.
    I really like the 300. But I got a much better deal on a LaCrosse than I could get on the AWD 300. The LaCrosse has been a fine daily car.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I love the 300c! Best of luck with it.

Post a few photos if possible

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Quote Originally Posted by swagled View Post
    Chrysler is the first place to look for a domestic RWD coupe (that you can easily see out of, and seat 4 people), or RWD V8 sedan, or an afforibly priced convertible, or a redesigned truck that's not quite F150 size, or a minivan. Then there's Jeep which is a class unto itself, where Chysler owns the whole market.
    I rented a Challenger R/T for a week. A fun big coupe but seating for 4 adults is not easy nor good. For the size of the car the rear seat is too small.

Congrats to the OP on their purchase. GM is still ignoring the large RWD car market. The SS will be a start but a niche product is not enough.

News Contributor Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac ATS

Quote Originally Posted by Pisswilly View Post
    You're talking about the LaCrosse's interior and price in comparison to the 300, right?
    Current:

2014 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Past:

2013 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection -> LEMON

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC ILikeNiceCars's Avatar
    Thanks

My sister in law's mother is a die-hard Honda fan, and has driven them for the past 20+ years. She absolutely loathes GM after getting a couple of their "lemons" (as she calls them) circa late 70s/early 80s. I recently gave her a ride in my Verano, and she really liked it a lot, and said as much. For somebody of her mindset to say that is akin to the pope admitting he's an atheist. GM has come a long way, yet still has quite a way to go.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nferr View Post
    I really like the 300. But I got a much better deal on a LaCrosse than I could get on the AWD 300. The LaCrosse has been a fine daily car.
    One would hope you got a better deal on a smaller FWD car Vs a larger AWD model.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

It's funny but Chrysler does indeed have three segments of vehicles that I still like that GM has abandoned. The 2 door largish sized personal coupe (Challenger), the RWD sedan (Charger/300) and the minivan (Caravan/T&C). And each of these vehicles is less expensive and serves my needs better than what the General has to offer. The 2014 Impala had better be really good or it's Charger/300 for my next sedan purchase.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC 6 Shooter's Avatar
    Missouri Ozarks: LS6 Millennium Yellow Roadster
    Thanks

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information