2014 Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger: What Changes Do YOU Want to See?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger: What Changes Do YOU Want to See?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks

2014 Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger: What Changes Do YOU Want to See?

From the onset the current generation Charger has been selling relatively well and the 300 has ramped up and started moving along nicely, too. I'm not sure that there will actually be a refresh for these two come model year 2014, but just went by the three year rule; I figure if there was a refresh coming it would've come for Detroit or been announced for New York already, but I guess we'll see. Anyway, if you could head the refreshed cars, what would you do? Feel free to comment on one or both, obviously.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: 2014 Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger: What Changes Do YOU Want to See?

For the love of god offer a manual transmission SOMEWHERE on the lineup. SRT8, 5.7l, at least one. The Challenger already has one how hard can it be?

Thanks

2014 Dodge Charger

Trim
    Continues as currently.

Exterior
    - Projector headlamps standard across the board
    - Newly styled front bumper cover
    - New rear design for the integrated exhaust with V-6, a unique one for the V-8s, and a third lower design for the SRT8
    - New wheel designs for all trims (move down to 18" wheels standard on AWD with a 20" wheel optional/standard depending on trim)

Interior
    - Some light upgrades to material quality so it can keep pace with the competitors; ditto technology and other features, many of which could be used from or inspired by the Dart and Ram

Mechanical
    - All V-6s upped to the full 305 horsepower rating (would like some upgrades for the Hemi but a bit late for it to make it in time for 2014)
    - Implement the EcoDiesel from the updated Grand Cherokee here at a cost that will attract people. Against "competitors" such as the Impala eAssist and Avalon Hybrid, the Charger would likely be at the front in performance and should be pretty competitive in mileage (although that Avalon Hybrid would lead on mileage). All of this while the torquey, easy going nature diesel makes sense in a vehicle defined by lazy, torque V-8 engine options. But does the market want it? I think this is more of an "explore the idea" suggestion at this point before I recommend Dodge jumps on this.
    - AWD could be tested on the 300 SRT8 and if the take rate is good enough then offer it on the Charger SRT8 later.

2014 Chrysler 300

Trim
    Continues as currently, except bringing back the "300S V8".

Exterior
    - Longer, narrower center rear brake lamp as a light freshening of tail's look, separates that piece from the Charger as well
    - New rear design for the integrated exhaust with V-6, a unique one for the V-8s, and a third lower design for the SRT8
    - New wheel designs for all trims (move down to 18" wheels standard on AWD with a 20" wheel optional/standard depending on trim)

Interior
    - Some new switch gear in the center stack to improve and differentiate it from the Charger
    - Other tame upgrades to details, design, content, and quality to further establish it as increasingly unique from the Charger (such as more unique door interiors)
    - Center screen for the gauges very similar to the 2014 Grand Cherokee

Mechanical
    - All V-6s upped to the full 305 horsepower rating (would like some upgrades for the Hemi but a bit late for it to make it in time for 2014)
    - Implement the EcoDiesel from the updated Grand Cherokee here at a cost that will attract people. While Chrysler can't advertise a 300 EcoDiesel's city OR highway mileage compared to other upscale eco-sedan's a la ES300h or MKZ Hybrid, they can advertise its mileage compared to gasoline competitors and its excellent torque/performance. I'm not sure that AWD should be available right away; instead they should test the market for a diesel 300 before expanding it. It may be more effective to test the diesel in JUST the Charger or 300 before expanding it to the other.
    - AWD available on the SRT8. AMG and even M IIRC have interest in AWD in their high performance vehicles, so this is just a natural next step for SRT.

I agree with tentacles that a manual would be nice. Try it in the Road/Track and SRT8 trims of the Charger. If it doesn't sell (and if Acura can justify a 6MT in the TL I'd think Dodge should be able to justify it to themselves here) then yank it from the options list and I'll shut up about it.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

NCIS-model Charger in dark blue, with good rubber, various Sig Sauer P228/229 storage compartments, and electronic gizmos that allow you to zero in on cell phone locations.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 03-23-2013 at 02:31 AM.

15Soul 13Charger 13Soul 11V6200 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02cordV6 01cord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCiv 96Concorde 95trep 94Protege 92SHO 93Protege 92P50Taurus

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly. --John F. Kennedy

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post

I agree with tentacles that a manual would be nice. Try it in the Road/Track and SRT8 trims of the Charger. If it doesn't sell (and if Acura can justify a 6MT in the TL I'd think Dodge should be able to justify it to themselves here) then yank it from the options list and I'll shut up about it.
    Well the TL is an Accord, so they've probably got some economies of scale there, but look, I bet you BMW isn't making money from a purely "incremental sales vs cost to implement" perspective when they offer the 550i(I think every 5 series except the 550xi and hybrid) with a manual. The fact that they still do regardless is the reason why BMW is still THE sport sedan company and everyone else is a "BMW fighter".

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Yep - to both your posts.

And personally, I still want some more greenhouse - including if necessary, with a raised seating position.

A 3.0L VM V6 DT with the right kind of Torqueflite 8 is ..... the first priority / no brainer although..... I'd just get all crazy and bring the MT here as well .

And breath on the Hemi.

All this fits in with Europe anyway.

Oh, and a couple of top shelf choices in all other ways - minus ( almost ) all possible electronics.

I'll pay to delete.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 03-23-2013 at 12:39 AM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

FYI 2014 is not a Fresh in design. its the Updated Uconnect System with 8 speeds for the V8's, they are saving the Styling changes for 2015 MY. They said Countless times that a MT will not be easy to accomplished (Assymbly Line & Money wise) on the current Generation of the LX platform.
    Last edited by 69gtsdart; 03-23-2013 at 12:38 AM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    2014 Dodge Charger

Trim
    Continues as currently.

Exterior
    - Projector headlamps standard across the board

Interior
    - Some light upgrades to material quality so it can keep pace with the competitors; ditto technology and other features, many of which could be used from or inspired by the Dart and Ram

Mechanical
    - Implement the EcoDiesel from the updated Grand Cherokee here at a cost that will attract people. Against "competitors" such as the Impala eAssist and Avalon Hybrid, the Charger would likely be at the front in performance and should be pretty competitive in mileage (although that Avalon Hybrid would lead on mileage). All of this while the torquey, easy going nature diesel makes sense in a vehicle defined by lazy, torque V-8 engine options. But does the market want it? I think this is more of an "explore the idea" suggestion at this point before I recommend Dodge jumps on this.
    - AWD could be tested on the 300 SRT8 and if the take rate is good enough then offer it on the Charger SRT8 later.

2014 Chrysler 300

Trim
    Continues as currently, except bringing back the "300S V8".

Exterior
    - Longer, narrower center rear brake lamp as a light freshening of tail's look, separates that piece from the Charger as well

Interior
    - Some new switch gear in the center stack to improve and differentiate it from the Charger
    - Other tame upgrades to details, design, content, and quality to further establish it as increasingly unique from the Charger (such as more unique door interiors)
    - Center screen for the gauges very similar to the 2014 Grand Cherokee

Mechanical
    - Implement the EcoDiesel from the updated Grand Cherokee here at a cost that will attract people. While Chrysler can't advertise a 300 EcoDiesel's city OR highway mileage compared to other upscale eco-sedan's a la ES300h or MKZ Hybrid, they can advertise its mileage compared to gasoline competitors and its excellent torque/performance. I'm not sure that AWD should be available right away; instead they should test the market for a diesel 300 before expanding it. It may be more effective to test the diesel in JUST the Charger or 300 before expanding it to the other.
    - AWD available on the SRT8. AMG and even M IIRC have interest in AWD in their high performance vehicles, so this is just a natural next step for SRT.

PLEASE NO.... The Charger and 300 are to big of cars to be fitted with 18's will cheapen the cars appearance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 69gtsdart View Post
    PLEASE NO.... The Charger and 300 are to big of cars to be fitted with 18's will cheapen the cars appearance.
    Not every model needs the large wheels with expensive-to-replace tires, especially the oddball 19" size of the current AWD Chryslers and Dodges. Bigger wheels look better but have multiple downsides. I think the 18s look perfectly fine (they're already standard on R/T RWDs, for example), and I'm not even a fan of this wheel design:

Image is courtesy of: http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/...iew/353071/046

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

The SRT8 300C, and Charger still feature the ancient WA580/NAG1 5 speed automatic, and it is said that this model year will be the last for the 5 speed automatic.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

The maserati is the update.."

Actually I'd like to see a supercharger on both the v6 and the hemi. The looks of the charger and 300 are fine....I really can't imagine them getting better looking and they still appear new and fresh.

The diesel is a cool idea as is the 8 speed ZF transmission. I think the manuals a bad idea but the diesel would be cutting edge ...

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Diesel

Even the manual in the Challenger almost didn't happen. The designers were nearly done with their models, but Micheal Castiglione perused some automotive blogs and websites before the concept car was assembled, and observed all the Charger comments that kept concluding "if only it had a manual". He made copies, highlighted the comments, sent them to corporate and pleaded his case ... "Don't let people say this about the Challenger" ... so the manual was commissioned at the last minute.

Chrysler is not big on manuals at all. They took it out of the RAM, don't offer it in V6 Challengers, don't offer it on the 200 convertibles.
    Last edited by swagled; 03-23-2013 at 07:42 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I am tired of the gangsta look, I think Chrysler should take a clean sheet approach. Same change as going from the LH cars of the 90's and early 2000's to the current 300.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Bold American style is what I see when I look at the 300 and charger. I am curious what the Italian offshoots will be like.

I imagine parts will interchange and some revisions to the American branded products at that time.

It ll be interesting to see

I like the present RT and srt product style

Thanks

That current rear end with those lights is just totally misplaced and doesn't go with the rest of the car. Bring back the more aggressive, mean look to the Charger. Who cares about Chrysler?
    "If you truly wanted to save the environment, you would live in it, not on it." --KG

"Show me how to live, and I'll teach you how to die." --KG

Future President of The United States.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information