EcoBoost Engine Flaw?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EcoBoost Engine Flaw?

Thanks

EcoBoost Engine Flaw?

From the Saturn forum I frequent:

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238
    Picture of the 3.5L ecoboost 340 hp turbo direct-injected gasoline V6 they'll be introducing this year. It seemed pretty promising, bigger engine, more economy, less emissions, lots more power. Ecoboost is what they're calling the engine line, which will also have 4 cylinders in it.

Until I saw that picture. WHY didn't they learn from Chrysler's mess with the 2.7L V6? The damn water pump is inside the block (dead middle pulley - the lower one is the oil pump). When that gasket goes or it starts leaking, odds are the whole engine will have to be replaced or rebuilt. A couple hour job to the tune of under 200 bucks is now well over 2000 and hours on end considering how packed they're probably going to make the engine bay.

I'll pass on this one, and frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they get a class action lawsuit against them like Chrysler did. I'm still astounded how 'engineers' this stupid get handed projects like this and they come out the door fatally flawed from the get go.

"People meet, and people part. This meeting may truly be as insignificant as a ripple in the ocean, but that's alright. I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can, while it lasts." - Shido

Jennifer: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2913762

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC ScottyFLM's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: EcoBoost Engine Flaw?

when i was working in a ford dealership, you wanna know how often i replaced a waterpump on ford models within the last 6 years, not one. Plus if you do your maintenance and flush the coolant system at required intervals it reduces the chance of having issues, most issues with coolant systems is lack of maintenance, coolant can almost turn acidic and cause corrosion thus creating leaks and wear out bearing in a water pump.
    Last edited by ScottyFLM; 01-22-2009 at 09:11 AM.
    Dr. Rockzo says, "I'm Dr. Rockzo, the Rock'n'Roll Clown!!! I do Cocaine!!!"

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

First, this has nothing to do with EcoBoost. The water pump is in the same location on all 3.5/3.7L Duratec engines.

Second, when I saw this engine for the first time about 5-6 years ago (yes, a couple of years before production) I said the same thing. The answer I got was there a weep holes designed in so that if the water pump starts leaking, the water will have an exit path and NOT wind up in the pan !

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
    First, this has nothing to do with EcoBoost. The water pump is in the same location on all 3.5/3.7L Duratec engines.

Second, when I saw this engine for the first time about 5-6 years ago (yes, a couple of years before production) I said the same thing. The answer I got was there a weep holes designed in so that if the water pump starts leaking, the water will have an exit path and NOT wind up in the pan !
    Millefune, would you be so kind and pass theoldwizard's info over to the good guys from the Saturn forum you frequent?

Thank you

Thanks

I think you're right, I know that duratec has a belt driven waterpump on the left head at the rear of the engine powered by the cam.

Thanks

Can you fix the grammar and spelling so I can quote you and let the people on the other forum know?
    "People meet, and people part. This meeting may truly be as insignificant as a ripple in the ocean, but that's alright. I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can, while it lasts." - Shido

Jennifer: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2913762

Thanks

What does this have to do with a saturn forum?

I did a search on the ecoboost v6 I do believe that picture is correct
    Last edited by ScottyFLM; 01-22-2009 at 09:30 AM.

Thanks

the difference here its that Fords parts quality doesnt suck like Chrysler ones and I know this by personal experience with my mom 2 last Chrysler products vs our Fords
    “We are masters of our own destiny,” he said. “We make our own decisions. And we intend to keep it that way.” Bill Ford May/09
    By Mark Fields
    "Perform or the bank will own us"
    Buying GM cars since 1931
    Hungry ,eat your import

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

For a rear seal leak - maybe........front seal or mounting surfaces ????

Looking at the picture........... you want to try that one again ????

Water pump 'weep holes' - to where ???

If there isn't something more to it - like tubing to route it outside the area behind the chain cover......... you're still dumping it in the oil but in the front cover area just below the pump.

Yea, so not exactly into the pan ala Chrysler - you got about a 3 -10 second delay before it hits the pan if running less if not - so what, its still going to be mixing oil and coolant with the right kind of failure.

Calling this water pump installation a flaw is purely subjective.

Its really just a matter of personal preference.

If they run out fine or at least acceptably long enough - no harm no foul.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 01-22-2009 at 05:49 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Since the 3.5/3.7 have not received any problems so far and they have been running around two years now, Im willing to bet the EB will be just as good in quality as the non-EB.
    Have sales for GM not seen in THIS POST? Email Me

Go Tigers! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    Looking at the picture........... you want to try that one again ????

Water pump 'weep holes' - to where ???
    Look, I wasn't the design engineer. I'm telling you what I was told. The issue was brought up early in the design phase and it was handled. What more can I say !

Is this a "perfect design ? Heck no ! If the pump does fail, you going to have to remove the front cover, so add an hour or 2 to the flat rate time.

Is it possible under some failure modes for coolant to leak into the pan ? Probably !

Life is a compromise.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

The Domestic three have been using some pretty long time high mileage durability standards in their various power train programs.

So, two years tells you something but not much.

That's not a knock, it just too early to tell.

First base will be along the lines of basically all that are still in operation and with acceptable maintenance / use going past the 10 year point with mileage anywhere between 20k and 150 - 200 k.

Technically speaking there is an acceptable but minuscule failure rate / warranty pay etc allowance built in somewhere so as long as its at or below that - its a win..

You round home when all of whatever constitutes Ford's most loyal 4.6L users including fleet, all give a thumbs up and want this in place of that.

Takes time.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 01-23-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyFLM View Post
    when i was working in a ford dealership, you wanna know how often i replaced a waterpump on ford models within the last 6 years, not one. Plus if you do your maintenance and flush the coolant system at required intervals it reduces the chance of having issues, most issues with coolant systems is lack of maintenance, coolant can almost turn acidic and cause corrosion thus creating leaks and wear out bearing in a water pump.
    Couldn't agree more.

If the water pumps design is long life and the owner follows the servicing schedules, like they should do, i don't see any issues at all.

Many vehicle problems are caused through abuse and a lack of care/servicing.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Look, I wasn't the design engineer. I'm telling you what I was told. The issue was brought up early in the design phase and it was handled. What more can I say !

Is this a "perfect design ? Heck no ! If the pump does fail, you going to have to remove the front cover, so add an hour or 2 to the flat rate time.

Is it possible under some failure modes for coolant to leak into the pan ? Probably !

Life is a compromise.

thats right!

Cheers for you're entertaining and to the point posts.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

So what is the key shaped hole on the front cover for ?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information