GM Inside News Forum banner

Could new safety standard be end of Aston Martin in America?Should Ford buy them back

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  syr74 
#1 ·
I am posting this here because when I read this and idea came to my mind, since Aston only has 4 models, and since Lincoln needs atleast 2 why not create a Lincoln based Rapide, hell why not a MARK X based on a redesigned DB9

lincoln line up could

MKS
MKZ
MKC
CONTINENTAL
MKX- AVIATOR
MARK X COUPE
NAVIGATOR
Poor, poor Aston Martin

According to the automaker's request their goal was to have the two models updated to comply with the new changes by 2014, but those models were delayed. Along with sharing their planned good intentions they also "emphasize" that "two of the four cars we make will be in compliance" with the new standards. 50%? Not bad, but in grade school that's still an F.

Aston goes on to state 4 key reasons it is experiencing "economic hardship." While they list 4 reasons they are all the same reason – no money.

Global recession.(Ferrari laughs at this!)
No access to resources of a major OEM.
R&D money must come from operating cash, which is limited.
Lower sales of cars means, oh yeah, cash is limited.

Aston Martin isn't selling cars, which means Aston Martin isn't making money, which means Aston Martin can't invest in new cars, which means Aston Martin can't meet new safety standards.
continue at the link

#3 ·
The problem is that Aston was developing along a pretty logical track when Ford owned them and that was paying dividends. Now, that has stopped cold. Aston is solving part of this problem by partnering with AMG on engine development moving forward, but then Aston arguably just stands to lose even more of their identity as they become just another British car with somebody else's engineering under the hood. (do we really need another Bentley?)

Aston won't be able to compromise like this and not have a price to pay for it unfortunately.

#4 ·
Not using their own engine is not a problem to the buyers of such vehicles as they are not mass market cars. I would prefer Aston to stay with 'in-house' engines but if using other manufacturers engines is the only way to stay in business then so be it, i think jointly developing motors would be better. Maserati seems to be doing alright with jointly developed motors (with Ferrari).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.