6.2L SOHC V8 Details

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64

Thread: 6.2L SOHC V8 Details

  1. #1
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member MN12Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,154
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My Ride
    '94 Thunderbird, '12 Focus SEL

    6.2L SOHC V8 Details

    New 2010 Ford SVT Raptor Engine Endures Extreme Testing to Meet Off-Road Enthusiast

    The 2010 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor launches with the proven three-valve Triton 5.4-liter V-8 engine delivering 320 horsepower and 390 ft.-lb. of torque; a new 6.2-liter engine with an estimated 400 horsepower and 400 ft.-lb. of torque becomes available shortly after launch

    Both engines underwent extreme laboratory testing, including running the engines at over 6,000 rpm for more than 150 hours

    The engines also were put to the test in the desert on a 62-mile evaluation loop to prove out the durability demanded by high-performance, off-road enthusiasts


    Ford Media
    August 17, 2009

    BORREGO SPRINGS, Calif., Aug. 17, 2009 – Mike Harrison's enthusiasm for V-8 engines is apparent. Harrison, Ford Motor Company's premium V-8 systems manager, is particularly excited about the availability of the new 6.2-liter V-8 that will power the Ford F-150 SVT Raptor.

    Producing an estimated 400 horsepower and 400 ft.-lb. of torque, Harrison rattles off the new engine’s components and features quickly and easily, pointing them out and explaining them with more than a trace of pride.

    Harrison wants that engine to perform to its maximum capabilities so that customers of the F-150 SVT Raptor won't have anything to worry about. In short, if the engine can withstand the rigorous testing Ford demands during the development cycle, it can withstand almost anything the most enthusiastic off-roader can dish out, even desert racers.

    The testing is intense. It's cruel, dusty and dirty. By working in the lab to push the engine to its limits, the process simulates how a customer would use the engine. But then it goes a little bit further.

    "Running it over 6,000 rpm for more than 150 hours, which is over the peak power limit of the engine, really puts it through its paces," Harrison said. "We've tested it in harsher operating conditions on the engine dyno than would ever be seen by a customer who races."

    Beginning in fall 2006, Harrison and his team tested more than 50 engines, with each running through a dozen separate tests. Evaluations included high-speed durability, crank-torsional testing, aeration and a thermal cycle where the engine is "shocked" from one temperature extreme to another.

    As with all Ford programs, attention to detail was a hallmark of the testing process.

    "We did a careful teardown of each engine at completion of testing to ensure there absolutely are no issues with the hardware," Harrison said. "These are very demanding, very stringent tests – far more stringent than anything you would see on a truck – racing or otherwise."

    Article continues here.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member MN12Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,154
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My Ride
    '94 Thunderbird, '12 Focus SEL

    Re: 6.2L SOHC V8 Details

    Bore and stroke of 4.01 x 3.74 inches. That's no Modular V8 for sure.

  4. #3
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    7,855
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 91 Times in 61 Posts
    My Ride
    IS 350

    Re: 6.2L SOHC V8 Details

    Quote Originally Posted by MN12Fan View Post
    The 2010 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor launches with the proven three-valve Triton 5.4-liter V-8 engine delivering 320 horsepower and 390 ft.-lb. of torque; a new 6.2-liter engine with an estimated 400 horsepower and 400 ft.-lb. of torque becomes available shortly after launch
    I honestly do not understand how Ford continues to make such terrible power out of fairly big cubic inch OHC engines. I understand that the 5.4 is a terrible start to begin with since the bore is so small but it is a 3 valve head. How do you manage to only make 400hp out of a 6.2 liter motor with OHC. The 6.2 must be a 2 valve head because it would be tough to only make 400hp with a newly designed OHC. Embarrassing if you ask me. How heavy is this OHC 6.2 it's gotta be a tank with a high center of gravity. The Coyote looks better than either of these boat anchors.

  5. #4
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) wescoent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    383 Madison Ave
    Posts
    11,264
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 368 Times in 169 Posts

    Re: 6.2L SOHC V8 Details

    Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    I honestly do not understand how Ford continues to make such terrible power out of fairly big cubic inch OHC engines. I understand that the 5.4 is a terrible start to begin with since the bore is so small but it is a 3 valve head. How do you manage to only make 400hp out of a 6.2 liter motor with OHC. The 6.2 must be a 2 valve head because it would be tough to only make 400hp with a newly designed OHC. Embarrassing if you ask me. How heavy is this OHC 6.2 it's gotta be a tank with a high center of gravity. The Coyote looks better than either of these boat anchors.
    400hp out of a 6.2 liter? It IS a 2V head because its primary purpose is for trucks, and Ford wants to keep things cheap and cheerful. All further development of this motor was canceled when Ford realized the 5.0 was indeed a far superior platform.

    360hp for the truck 5 liter, and 400hp (at least) for the Mustang 5 liter... far better hp per cube figure.
    "They say Eve tempted Adam with an apple, but man I ain't goin' for that. I know it was her pink Cadillac!"

  6. #5
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    7,855
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 91 Times in 61 Posts
    My Ride
    IS 350

    Re: 6.2L SOHC V8 Details

    Quote Originally Posted by wescoent View Post
    400hp out of a 6.2 liter? It IS a 2V head because its primary purpose is for trucks, and Ford wants to keep things cheap and cheerful. All further development of this motor was canceled when Ford realized the 5.0 was indeed a far superior platform.

    360hp for the truck 5 liter, and 400hp (at least) for the Mustang 5 liter... far better hp per cube figure.
    So what is the purpose of the 6.2? It sounds like they have too many OHC V8's that could overlap with each other to me. I love OHC I4's and V6's but that's because of the excellent flowing 4 valve heads. I will never understand using OHC and then saddling it with 2 valve heads. You are using the worst of the two designs by using the much bigger heavier OHC with the poorer flowing 2 valve heads of the OHV.

    Very frustrating since the Mustang could be a beast with an all aluminum Windsor style motor equal to the LS family. It would also take 100lbs off the front-end of the Mustang making it handle even better and launch even harder.

  7. #6
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,817
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 29 Times in 18 Posts

    Re: 6.2L SOHC V8 Details

    400/400 will certainly get the job done with plenty of power to spare, but as a mild Ford fan I'm still disappointed.

  8. #7
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) wescoent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    383 Madison Ave
    Posts
    11,264
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 368 Times in 169 Posts

    Re: 6.2L SOHC V8 Details

    Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    So what is the purpose of the 6.2? It sounds like they have too many OHC V8's that could overlap with each other to me. I love OHC I4's and V6's but that's because of the excellent flowing 4 valve heads. I will never understand using OHC and then saddling it with 2 valve heads. You are using the worst of the two designs by using the much bigger heavier OHC with the poorer flowing 2 valve heads of the OHV.

    Very frustrating since the Mustang could be a beast with an all aluminum Windsor style motor equal to the LS family. It would also take 100lbs off the front-end of the Mustang making it handle even better and launch even harder.
    Purpose is a large-bore super-torquey V8 as a top-shelf motor for trucks. It's actually a quite long story, but I'll get into that another day.

    At this point, I'm tired of beating the drum on the 2011 Mustang engines. You want a beast? You want four values per cylinder? You want an aluminum-block GT500? Just wait and see.
    "They say Eve tempted Adam with an apple, but man I ain't goin' for that. I know it was her pink Cadillac!"

  9. #8
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar red_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Quad Cities
    Posts
    2,784
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    My Ride
    '02 Mustang GT '97 Mazda B2300

    Re: 6.2L SOHC V8 Details

    I really don't give a crap what the displacement is for the sake of displacement or hp/L or whatever. I want to see an engine weight and power curve/peak power and torque rpms. Same for the 5.0.

  10. #9
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 6.2L SOHC V8 Details

    Couple key points before you write it off:

    i) 400/400 is not set in stone, that is the minimum. Why would Ford tip their hand so soon?

    ii) GMs 6.2 truck engine makes 403 on premium. Fords ratings are on regular. I've read elsewhere the gm 6.2 makes 384hp on regular. Not sure about tq.

  11. #10
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member MN12Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,154
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My Ride
    '94 Thunderbird, '12 Focus SEL

    Re: 6.2L SOHC V8 Details

    Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    So what is the purpose of the 6.2? It sounds like they have too many OHC V8's that could overlap with each other to me.
    Too many OHC V8s? Unless something changes, Ford will have fewer versions of V8 engines in their vehicles than ever before.

    All of Ford's V8s put into production vehicles currently are of the Modular engine family. Throwing in the 6.8L V10, since it's a related design, there are at least eight different versions of Modular engines in production right now. Throw in different tunings or modifications of certain engines and the number is arguably higher. These are currently in production for North American vehicles:

    4.6L SOHC 2v V8: F-150, E-Series, Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, Town Car
    4.6L SOHC 3v V8 (iron block): F-150, Explorer, Mountaineer
    4.6L SOHC 3v V8 (aluminum block): Mustang GT
    5.4L SOHC 2v V8: E-Series
    5.4L SOHC 3v V8: F-Series, Expedition, Navigator
    5.4L DOHC 4v V8 (supercharged): Shelby GT500 and variants
    6.8L SOHC 2v V10: E-Series
    6.8L SOHC 3v V10: F-Series Super Duty

    Within a couple of years all of these engines will be gone through the elimination of certain models that use these engines (ex. Explorer, Crown Vic) or replacement by the 5.0 or the 6.2 liter V8, or perhaps even by an EcoBoost V6 in a couple of cases.

  12. #11
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Xenon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sea Ranch, California
    Posts
    7,258
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts

    Re: 6.2L SOHC V8 Details

    Quote Originally Posted by wescoent View Post
    Purpose is a large-bore super-torquey V8 as a top-shelf motor for trucks. It's actually a quite long story, but I'll get into that another day.

    At this point, I'm tired of beating the drum on the 2011 Mustang engines. You want a beast? You want four values per cylinder? You want an aluminum-block GT500? Just wait and see.
    I want a GT350, for 135i money. Wanna tell your sources to deliver?

  13. #12
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Xenon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sea Ranch, California
    Posts
    7,258
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts

    Re: 6.2L SOHC V8 Details

    Quote Originally Posted by red_rider View Post
    I really don't give a crap what the displacement is for the sake of displacement or hp/L or whatever. I want to see an engine weight and power curve/peak power and torque rpms. Same for the 5.0.
    Most V8s are roughly 425-450 lbs. Some weigh more because of materials used, and some will weigh considerably less because of premium materials used.

  14. #13
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    455
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 6.2L SOHC V8 Details

    Quote Originally Posted by MN12Fan View Post
    Bore and stroke of 4.01 x 3.74 inches. That's no Modular V8 for sure.
    First I have seen official numbers. Funny how a 4 inch bore used to be considered a small block !

    Coyote's bore will be just south of 100 mm.

  15. #14
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member MN12Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,154
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My Ride
    '94 Thunderbird, '12 Focus SEL

    Re: 6.2L SOHC V8 Details

    Quote Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
    First I have seen official numbers. Funny how a 4 inch bore used to be considered a small block !

    Coyote's bore will be just south of 100 mm.
    O'RLY? "Just south" of 100 mm? I've previously read that the Coyote's bore and stroke would be increased just enough over that of a 4.6L Modular to equal a full 5.0 liters. Incidentally, if a 4.6L V8's bore and stroke (3.552 in x 3.543 in) were each increased by exactly one-tenth of an inch, the resulting displacement would be almost exactly 5.0 liters (305 ci).

    If it's true that the Coyote's bore is closer to 100 mm then this potentially means a really short stroke if the engine's still going to displace 5.0 liters -- an overall bore and stroke approaching that of the old 302 Windsor (4.00 in x 3.00 in). However, since Ford had to develop a new block for the Coyote V8 anyway, I wonder if they used the 5.0 Cammer for inspiration? Same stroke as a 4.6L V8 but with a 3.700 in (94 mm) bore.

  16. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    750
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 6.2L SOHC V8 Details

    gm had this kind of power out of a 6.0, what like 4 or 5 years ago! ford just can not seem to make any kind of power and why has it been so long?

  17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2