GM Inside News Forum banner

2016 Taurus: smaller, lighter, may not come to America

8K views 62 replies 17 participants last post by  Amphibian 
#1 ·
#4 ·
There is nothing wrong with the current Taurus that a massive re-do wouldn't cure.

Fix the interior so it's as roomy as it should be, given the car's exterior bulk.
Cut a couple of hundred pounds.
Get into the 8-and-above trannie gears league.
Make FWD, AWD, and RWD versions.

Don't forget the cop car market, not sure the Fuzion will meet spec for interior space there. Even though they use them in Almost Human. :yup:

#5 ·
Dump the Taurus. Smaller and lighter = Fusion which is already a success. I'd like to see the return of the Crown Vic but not necessarily BOF. Return of the full-size sedan to Ford with RWD with AWD option ala Charger. You then have the cop car market covered as well as filling a niche they currently don't have.

#6 · (Edited)
Neanderthal Almost Human
best new SF show^

(( hmm, did that need punctuation??
))

&
imho CD4+ and what will be built on it and WHERE
are the most mysterious FLordish thingies

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
Having seen the next Taurus, I will describe it like this:

About the same height as Fusion, which is much lower than current Taurus.
Wider than Fusion for sure, and slightly wider than current Taurus.
Much sleeker overall, without that raised tail look.
Current Taurus grill infused nicely, but sleeker, more rake to it.
Proportions look good, at least best FWD proportions yet for Taurus.
Guessing here, but weight should be about 3750-3800lbs through new areas using lightweight materials. Perhaps more for a Titanium model, AWD or SHO version.

#24 ·
The SHO will probably never become a missle, as it has typically been more of aa gentleman's sport sedan. Something that is equally at home for an exec to shuttle around his clients, as it is a year round family hauler with an edge. I hope they don't change that recipe anyway. Acceleration has never really been a problem for it, so just adding a bit more dynamics appeal will do wonders.

#29 ·
So, if this new Taurus does not come to the USA, is that a win or a loss ?

#43 ·
Like most forums what you read and what is are usually two different stories. I fail to see the purpose in two virtually identical engines. Even if they do so in order for Lincoln to have it's own, that's still pretty damn weak sauce as far as differentiation goes.

#53 ·
It should be sold around the world as a Lincoln, not a Ford. It's for Lincoln to be a true global luxury brand. It needs more products and a halo vehicle, but it can be done in a not so distant future.

#58 · (Edited)
Lincoln should had kept the twinforce name back when ecoboost was introduced

and the MKS should had looked like this

#63 ·
Since Ford sold 60-70,000 units of the current Taurus yearly, it'd be odd to completely avoid this segment in the US, and I doubt Ford will.

But the Taurus badly needs to move off of D3. The CD4 platform, modified or not, should be the basis for the next Taurus. Instead of the 2.0T EB, maybe the 1.6T with a 200 horsepower tune would be sufficient to compete with 2.5L Impalas, assuming the market is liking 2.5L Impalas in the first place. The 3.5L should move up to about 300 horsepower, and the SHO is still making sense. The well done proportions of the current fusion will hopefully extend to the new Taurus, along with better space efficiency.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.