GM Inside News Forum banner

2015 Ford Mustang GT gets launch control and Track Apps standard

7K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  redTT 
#1 ·

When the 2015 Ford Mustang GT comes out later this year, it will be able to order a Domino's pizza for you. Technically speaking, you'll have to have ordered from the company before, and have the app on your smartphone. Then you can meet the delivery driver, hopefully tipping well, in your driveway.

Ford's new SYNC AppLink system can work with the apps already on your phone to play music, order food, seek out news and even find local coupons through an app called Roximity. This is all part of Ford's “driver-focused technology” that the company is implementing in the Mustang.

Track Apps, which will be standard on the GT and EcoBoost-equipped Mustangs, allows drivers to look at different gauges, watch a G meter, and time acceleration and braking exercises. The info can be saved in the car's computer. Track Apps can be disabled with Ford's MyKey system, for example if your 16-year-old is taking the car for a spin.

Launch Control will be standard on the GT trim. With this function, the driver can choose what rpm to launch at, anywhere from 3,000-4,500, pin the clutch and the throttle, then drop the clutch and let the Mustang do the work. The system was developed in house, according to Ford.

The GT will have four driving modes to work with including snow/wet, normal, sport and race. The modes are controlled by toggle switches on the center console, which also can adjust the steering weight and traction control separately. The shocks are not adjustable.
Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140327/carnews/140329894#ixzz2xAyQjI2f

See less See more
#6 ·
Independent rear suspension, and now advanced electronic driving aids? Sounds like the Mustang has arrived in the 21st Century. I saw a '15 model on the flesh recently. The interior was a bit blingy but mostly ok. The exterior was pretty Ford-corporate, which is not a bad thing when you're trying to avoid retro. The rear end, however, is an atrocity.

#7 ·
I saw one in person at the Autowshow, and all I can say about is that if you like the Fusion, you might like the 2015 "Fusion Coupe." Cause that's what I saw. They actually had a '14 Mustang GT next to it and more people were looking at it than there were looking at the '15.

#8 ·
A strong family resemblance across the showroom can be helpful, especially when the styling is a hit with buyers.
We must be careful here because what Ford is achieving with Fusion-Mustang probably could not be replicated by GM or Chrysler/ Dodge and even if those companies wanted to, their respective styling cues don't lend themselves to simply extending to other vehicles. It's probably more advantageous to have styling difference with those vehicles where as Ford can exploit the similarities...

#9 ·
I love it, and if you think it looks even remotely like a Fusion, you need your eyes checked...or your anti-Ford/Pro-GM goggles removed...or both.

It's fantastic looking. Even the rear, which I didn't really care for in pics, looks good in person.

Doubt I'd sell my Vette for one, but it's light years better than a Camaro.

#10 ·
AFAIAC, the current mustang interior remains better than the awkward camaro.

This new one only takes it up about 2 notches, and it starts with design that perfectly aligns a bit of retro with kick-arse new tech.
brilliant.

And this is not that far removed from the performance variant.

All I can say is, camaro who?

#11 ·
Having seen it up close and personal I can attest that it looks very much like the rest of the mainstream Ford lineup, although I think it looks more like the Taurus than the Fusion.

As far as Dodge not being able to follow this design lead with the Challenger (or Chevy with the Camaro for that matter): why would they feel compelled to? The Foxstang (and Mustang II before that) are the only pony cars that have ever really tried to adopt the styling cues of their parent company's lineup. The Foxstang looked nice, the Deuce was, well, a deuce. GM and Mopar have enough confidence in their idea of what a ponycar should be to not be beholden to what Ford thinks it should be, with sales numbers and various comparo victories to justify them.

#13 ·
The Cruze has been a big seller for GM and a welcome return to being a contender in its segment. The new schnozzola ain't the best, but it'll do.

Look: the Mustang is a (mostly) good-looking car. It's styling is in keeping with the "One Ford" mission statement. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. But just because Ford does it doesn't mean that GM or Chrysler will or even should. Frankly, Ford ceded its sales and performance leads in this segment for a reason, and this car strikes me as reactionary to that.

#16 ·
It must be embarrassing for Ford to be so far behind, to have a sports/performance car without Launch Control is laughable. The mustang will forever be behind everyone else.

Even in design, the Mustang is already behind and following the design cues of Chevy. People can easily mistake this thing for a Chevy from the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.