GM Inside News Forum banner

2015 Ford Mustang 50th Anniversary edition spied in Michigan

13K views 74 replies 16 participants last post by  All Star 
#1 ·
2015 Ford Mustang 50th Anniversary edition spied in Michigan

Next month at the 2014 New York Auto Show, the Ford Mustang will celebrate its 50th anniversary (the milestone occurs on the second media preview day, to be exact). As you would expect, the Oval has a 50th Anniversary model lined up to show the world in the Big Apple, and our spies caught it out in the wild testing in Michigan.

Read more: http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/futu...anniversary-edition-spied-testing-in-michigan
+ more photos: http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/futu...rd-mustang-50th-anniversary-spy-shots#slide-1

See less See more
#5 ·
Uuuugh!!! I'm so disappointed by the looks of this car as a car enthusiasts, but so happy that it still fails versus the, going on 6 years on the road, Camaro's styling.

Quite frankly, THIS Camaro

all tapped up looks more exciting than this 50th aniversay Mustang

#7 ·
There is nothing about the current Camaro's appearance that I like! Great performance, especially for such a tank of a car, but it's just to damn big and while I like the first gen Camaro's the new one doesn't really capture that for me.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there is an ass for every seat!

#24 ·
Camaro is nice.
Mustang in nicer.

Camaro in top trim is no doubt a brute, but so too will the pending Mustang top trim models. But in mid pack models, I think Mustang will have some advantages, especially with it's lighter weight and newer chassis. Style is subjective.
At the end of the day, there are no losers really, just two variations of an old formula.

And I hear there are literally twice as many Mustang related sites in the world, as Camaro. So there is that too :)

#26 · (Edited)
When I saw pics of the new Mustang, I liked it. I wasn't too sure about the rear, didn't really think I liked the way it sloped forward so much.

When I saw it in person at the Minneapolis Auto Show a couple weeks ago.... I LOVED IT! It is absolutely stunning! Even the rear looked good (not as good as I think it could have, but decent). I spent more time ogling that car than I spent looking at and sitting in the C7, which was also the first time I had seen one in person.

I have never liked the Gen 5 Camaro. And they just made it worse with that horrid rear tail light change.

Why anyone would buy a new Camaro SS vs a lightly used C6 Corvette (for the same $$$) is beyond my comprehension. Or a new ZL1 vs a slightly used C6Z for the same $$$. For a useless backseat? The Vettes smoke the Camaro in every performance metric.

Even as much as I like the new Mustang, I would still take a lightly used Vette over one anyday.

Vette > Mustang > Challenger >>>>>> Camaro

And speaking of the C7, I was a bit disappointed as well. Granted, I couldn't drive one or even check out the cool new dash, but after hearing how awesome it is for the past year and a half, especially the interior...I was underwhelmed. Sure it's better than the C6...but not THAT much better. At least my LS3 is proven reliable and won't coke up the intake valves due to DI.

#32 ·
Really? You weren't impressed by the new Stingray? I loved it! The interior, the design, and the color combo they had in the dealer(black on black with yellow calipers and black wheels). Man, that thing looked sinister!:dro:

#33 ·
I vividly recall having to climb into the back seat to get my newborn in/out every time. Wife normally drove, but there was a period there where we used my car only, and it was a hassle.

But it could be done.
Very vulnerable position for women in a parking lot, where they are half in the car btw. I heard of stories where muggers and car jackers would target 2 door coupes with car seats in them.

Anyway, that is my cynical side. Me and my wife have been mugged on separate occasions. It sticks with you, trust me.

#42 ·
Rear visibility is so over-rated. Learn to use your mirrors! I drive a full-sized lifted 4x4 CC pick-up with tinted windows and topper. I can't see jack squat behind me unless I use my mirrors. My rear view mirror is basically useless.

Then again, I do have nice big side mirrors.

#64 · (Edited)
Why is it that some GM fans think that Alpha Camaro is somehow going to be less capable than the Zeta?
If anything, the next Camaro is going to be a wicked SOB with lighter weight and torque like a 7.0 liter
thanks to DI on the 6.2 LT1. GM fans should be excited at the thought of a lighter Camaro.

I can't wait to read more about the new Mustang, those bigger ports, bigger cams and better VCT
will certainly add a significant amount of torque and horsepower. 440 hp from a GT?
Watch this space...

#70 ·
I know this has been debated endlessly, but the Shelby does have control, awesome control in fact, having more power, speed and acceleration than any camaro that comes up along side it. Then there is the poop-eating-grin look on your face factor, as you marvel at the sheer brutal fun you are having with it.

But alas, the few camaros that make it to a track can finally have their moment too.
And then on the way back home, in the real world, Mustang rubs it back in it's face.

Regardless, why are we talking about previous gen Mustangs here?

#71 ·
Regardless, why are we talking about previous gen Mustangs here?
The yardstick to win an argument is based on what vehicles are available now, not in a few months time...
When the '15 Mustang is on sale and performance models begin roll out, then we can begin to compare it.

Mustang and Camaro have different characters and they continue to please respective buyers
because of those very differences. And this is why both will succeed - they don't copy each other.

The more non-aligned the power trains are, the better it is for both to increase sales.....

#72 ·
Exactly. I know I originally posted in response to a guy who was talking up the superiority of the S/C 5.8 and since it isn't going in the new car anytime soon we only had the current car to judge. And the current car has not acquitted itself well against either the ZL1 or the Z/28, as I alluded to in the write up in Automobile mag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.