GM Inside News Forum banner

1965 Lincoln Continental – The Last Great American Luxury Car

120K views 98 replies 27 participants last post by  mervinwindsorwj1 
#1 ·
1965 Lincoln Continental – The Last Great American Luxury Car
Curbside Classic
by Paul Niedermeyer
April 17, 2013

What defines a true luxury car? Not comfort and convenience, as was proved so convincingly by the Broughamization of mundane Chevys, Fords and Plymouths. A genuine luxury item is recognized as such because it has sufficient exclusivity, style, quality and prestige to set its owner apart from the masses. What’s more, it must have presence--the ability to at once command attention and instantly make others aware of the fact that this is something truly out of the ordinary. This Lincoln Continental was the last American luxury car that did just that.

Much more at the link.

Can't wait to see what will Omega Cadillac bring to the table.

See less See more
#69 · (Edited)
Caddy changed, because it had to. It's aging customer base well was passing away, or not able to drive. Starting with the Cimmarron, then Catera, Finally getting it right with the CTS. But it was very far outside the box for the Brand.

Lincoln has tried. The LS was a great car but focused to the Middle-Ender's of the market and out of Lincoln's box. The kind that had Dad's say to them, "I knew I made it when I got my first Town Car." The car's since are just Ford's and have little more to offer than the Escale did against the Denali.

This car Exudes Lincoln Heritage, and is atractive to Yuppy's, Car Guy's and YU Professional alike. I even like it, and well after 23 years, few vehicles excite me anymore.

It doesn't need an Excotic Powertrain to compete, it doesn't need AWD, or a Ford twin. It need's a min 300+hp 300+ft/lbs and V8, Optional 400+hp 400+ft/lbs V10-12, it needs to be somewhat affordable (just in reach of the upper middle class) And it can't be seen on Rental Car Lots.

#70 ·
I love the '65. Last year of the hand-made Lincoln V8. Beautiful facelift of the '64 body before it got a bit too out-of-proportion for '66-69. I wonder why Lincoln waited until '68 to put together a hardtop coupe version of this. My second favorite version of this is the original '61. Because grille.

Also...the LAST Great American Luxury Car? I dunno...

I think that honor might go to any one of the following:

The 1976 Fleetwood Eldorado convertible. The supposed "last convertible". 500ci V8. Need I say more?

The '76 Fleetwood Sixty Special Talisman. 500ci V8, enormous, uncompromising.

The last big American luxury limousine. The 1976 Fleetwood Seventy-Five. The '77-84 that followed had nothing on this.

The last of the big, uncompromised Fleetwood Eldorado luxury coupes. FWD, 425 V8, available FI. 1978.

When America decided to compete with the changing world and came up with a winner. This is the '79.

The last of the big, uncompromised luxury sedans. The 1979 Lincoln Continental Collector's Series.

I'd have a hard time agreeing with anyone that mentioned anything American built after 1980 as "great" and truly "luxury"...up to perhaps the CTS-V, ATS, or upcoming CTS Mk3. But the '65 Continental being the LAST great American luxury car? I dunno...

#74 · (Edited)
Sometimes we forget just how much GM pushed the technological envelope in the '50s and '60s.

On the subject of Lincoln, I keep remember Ian Callum's thoughts on the Jaguar XJ
he basically felt the bigger the better and I tend to agree that sometimes you need
to make a statement that only a large car can do

#94 ·
The continental sure is a sweet ride.

Unfortunately the Lincoln management team has a different vision than those of us at GMI about what's best for that brand.

They have a lot of nerve not listening to us...(kidding of course)

#97 ·
Hello all, I'm Matt and I'm new to the site.

I had to join this site and chime in. I think that's EXACTLY what the automobile manufacturers problem is...they don't listen to us. Why is it that concept cars end up looking like ridiculously loose versions of the designers original? We fall in love with many design options shown to us, only to have them vanish and be replaced with inferior plastic crappy counterparts.

This car would be gold for Lincoln. If branded correctly, and marketed correctly it has the potential to compete with any luxury brand currently available. The issue isn't if it will sell, because it will. If Ford doesn't believe they can make a quality automobile that has the ability to compete with the best of the best tell them to get out of the game.

Id buy one of these in a heartbeat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.