Yukon XL battery dies

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yukon XL battery dies

Thanks

Yukon XL battery dies

I have a 2007 Yukon XL that will start fine, even going 2 weeks between starts. However, twice in the past 2 months I've had it, the battery shows about 9-10 volts and it won't turn over. Everything else works, so it's not completely dead, just not enough juice to start. Battery is less than 4 months old. Wondering if it's something happening when I wash it, or is this a common problem with some 07 Yukons/Tahoes, etc? Some sites have said some diodes could be bad in the alternator causing a drain, but this has only happened twice to me and I would think if it were the diodes, it would drain all the time.
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado
    2013 Honda Odyssey
    2005 Chevrolet Malibu

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 dr.gizmo's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Yukon XL battery dies

You need to have a parasitic load test done along with a complete electrical system check. There are also several bulletins on this problem that need to be checked on your truck. Lastly did you get the recall done ( if applicable) that also addresses this problem?
    30 Year Gm Dealer Tech.
    GM World Class Tech with 9 certs.
    ASE Master with L1; 12 certs. total

Thanks

Checked the recall notices, and none outstanding currently. It happens so rarely it's hard to say what, exactly, it is. Thought it may have something to do with washing it, since it happened the day after a wash both times.
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado
    2013 Honda Odyssey
    2005 Chevrolet Malibu

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

What Dr. Gizmo said.

Leaving a phone charger plugged in? Kid's video games?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

More than likely you bought a bad battery. When you say "wash it"....do you douse the whole engine with water?

Quote Originally Posted by ledfoot73 View Post
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eurohazard View Post
    More than likely you bought a bad battery. When you say "wash it"....do you douse the whole engine with water?
    Exterior only, Euro. That's why this is so puzzling.

There are no aftermarket anythings on the vehicle. Strictly stock from GM. The suggestions about checking/updating the BCM, etc may be one of the first things I try. Since it has only happened twice in the past two months, I don't think it's a parasitic drain. I mean, it could be, but I would think it would go dead regularly. But, I'll check it out. Might even use the old multimeter in series with battery check as a quick check on draw.
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado
    2013 Honda Odyssey
    2005 Chevrolet Malibu

Banned
    Thanks

Here's my advice:

1. Stop washing it

2. Drive it!!!

Hope you get the problem figured out. Nothing is more irritating than trying to go somewhere and having the truck not start!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

Have the dealer check for this TSB:
    (from my old post)

If you have a GMT-900 truck this TSB prob. will apply to you:
    (My 07 truck was updated during my last oil change visit)

TSB 07033b may be your problem:

Battery Goes Dead At Times - keywords charge charging crank current dead drain draw excessive inop inoperative int intermittent lo low load no nostart nocrank parasitic start voltage - (Feb 26, 2009)

Subject: Battery Goes Dead At Times
    Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
    2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
    2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this bulletin.
    Condition/Concern:
    Some customers may state that the battery goes dead at times. The concern is very random and doesn't seem to have a set pattern. When the vehicle returns to the shop, the technician may be unable to duplicate the concern.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    Note: Only apply the information to 2007 model year vehicles. A separate PI (Preliminary Investigation) has been created for the 08-09 model year
    If you experience a vehicle that has an intermittent battery draw, please follow the instructions below and then review the template below that lists all related PI's and Bulletins. If it becomes necessary to contact Technical Assistance, please record the results for all the PI's and Bulletins that apply to your vehicle prior to calling.

When vehicle is towed into the shop, please record the static voltage of the battery by using a DVOM at the battery posts before charging the battery or performing any diagnostics.
    Perform a parasitic load test as listed in SI (See Example Document Id: 1741191)
    Perform and record the results for all PI's and bulletins that apply to your vehicle in the following template.
    Bulletin or PI number
    Description

08-06-03-008.
    Information on Intermittent Battery Drain Diagnostic Tips and Recommendations
    06-06-03-013C
    BCM Update for RVC
    PIT4613A
    Check Mega Fuse
    PIT4050E Ckts (6815 or 6817) Shorted or the ISLPS/IS Lamps fuse may blow
    PIT3984A Rear Doors Will Not Unlock / Battery Draw
    AIT3236 Battery Cables

07033B Battery Rundown
    07007C Remote Keyless Entry Inoperative & Battery Rundown
    PIT3385E Roof Beacon Switch Left On Causing Battery Draw
    06-06-03-011B Hum or Buzz Noise From Rear of Vehicle and/or Possible Dead Battery (Check Fuel Pump Relay)
    07-06-03-002B Information on Inspecting Top Post Battery Cable Bolts, Clamps, and Nuts During Pre Delivery Inspection
    PIT4412A Vehicle Will Not Crank / Start At Times/ Aftermarket theft relay
    09-08-44-001 US8/US9 Radio
    PIT3971A Multiple Electrical Concerns due to wiring in B pillar
    06-08-44-032B Rear DVD Screen Blank/Inoperative, Speaker Pop Noise, Battery DrawNav Screen Flashing,

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

NOTE: This TSB also applies to the same year GMT-900
    Pick-up trucks and other fullsizers also !
    Last edited by sonjaab; 04-29-2010 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Having a dealer check the software, etc tomorrow to make sure it has all the latest and greatest downloads that are for the vehicle. Hope the fixes it. Also is going to check the modules to make sure they have no errors or something and that they "shut down" as they are supposed to.
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado
    2013 Honda Odyssey
    2005 Chevrolet Malibu

Thanks

They update the BCM and replaced the battery with an OE one. Hope the reprogramming did the trick.
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado
    2013 Honda Odyssey
    2005 Chevrolet Malibu

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

Shot..........Did YOU have to put that TSB # to the service mgr. for him to check it
    out ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonjaab View Post
    Shot..........Did YOU have to put that TSB # to the service mgr. for him to check it
    out ?
    Not directly, no. He was looking up all that had been done or was needed by using the last 8 of the VIN. He commented about some TSB and then I mentioned the 07033b and he said yes. It hadn't been done according to records. The battrery is a 615 CCA ACDelco Professional (said it was OE), and the programming part took about 20 mins. I was very pleased with their service department.

BTW, when did they stop/change OE batteries. I only ask b/c the last "new" GM I bought was in '02 and it had the old black Delco battery. Since then I've bought 2-3 yr old GM vehicles and the battery may have been replaced by the original owner/lessee.
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado
    2013 Honda Odyssey
    2005 Chevrolet Malibu

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information