Wynn’s Engine Oil Treatment

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wynn’s Engine Oil Treatment

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Wynn’s Engine Oil Treatment

When I get my oil changed my mechanic always puts in Wynn’s Engine Oil Treatment. Is this a good idea or am I wasting money?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Wynn’s Engine Oil Treatment

What year, make, model vehicle and how many miles?

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

I have a 2000 Olds Intrigue with 204,000 miles.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

My typical answer would be "waste of money".

However if you have 200k+ trouble free miles on a car that has been serviced the same way its whole life....I'd stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ledfoot73 View Post
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote!

Thanks

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just keep doing what your doing.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eurohazard View Post
    My typical answer would be "waste of money".

However if you have 200k+ trouble free miles on a car that has been serviced the same way its whole life....I'd stick with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkennedy293 View Post
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just keep doing what your doing.
    I have to agree. It's that high up there in miles, don't mess with it now. And what's the cost? $2-$3 every few months? Not a big deal.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

Walking
    Thanks

Most of the additives are snake oil. I did a quick search. Wynn's does not list the ingredients for the product you mention on their website. They do say that adding the product will not take the oil above the SM levels of Z and P. Those are anti-wear (AW) additives in all oils, and for the SM designation, they were reduced (supposedly to minimize catalytic converter poisoning). Another website did list something about the Wynn's additive. Whether it's the same product you use or not, I don't know. IMO, it's a waste of money.
    " The final oil additive category is detergent based. Many of the older, better-known oil treatments on the market do not make claims nearly so lavish as the new upstarts. Old standbys like Bardahl, Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil, instead offer things like "quieter lifters," "reduced oil burning" and a "cleaner engine." Most of these products are made up of solvents and detergents designed to dissolve sludge and carbon deposits inside your engine so they can be flushed or burned out. Wynn's Friction Proofing Oil, for example, is 83 percent kerosene. Other brands use naphthalene, xylene, acetone and isopropanol. Usually, these ingredients will be found in a base of standard mineral oil. In general, these products are designed to do just the opposite of what the PTFE and zinc phosphate additives claim to do. Instead of leaving behind a "coating" or a "plating" on your engine surfaces, they are designed to strip away such things. All of these products will strip sludge and deposits out and clean up your engine, particularly if it is an older, abused one. The problem is, unless you have some way of determining just how much is needed to remove your deposits without going any further, such solvents also can strip away the boundary lubrication layer provided by your oil. Overuse of solvents is an easy trap to fall into, and one which can promote harmful metal-to-metal contact within your engine. As a general rule of thumb these products had their place and were at least moderately useful on older automobile and motorcycle engines of the Fifties and Sixties, but are basically unneeded on the more efficient engine designs of the past two decades."
    2010 Equinox LT
    Direct Injection sprays harder!

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information