won't start in the cold! 2001 cavalier

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: won't start in the cold! 2001 cavalier

Walking
    Thanks

won't start in the cold! 2001 cavalier

most of what i've found online and the forum here have scenarios where cars will start fine in the cold but once they're warmed up, they won't restart. well i'm having the opposite issue. once temperatures get low enough, the engine won't turn over. i've tried a few tips i saw on some threads; making sure the key is warm, trying to start it with the e-brake on and the car in neutral, etc.. but nothing is working. any suggestions? i've got roughly 87,000 miles on it. fuel pump? flaky solenoid? thanks in advance for any help. oh yeah, i replaced the starter about 6 months ago (wasn't even the problem at the time. doh)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

Re: won't start in the cold! 2001 cavalier

welp, it's warmer out.. still won't start. starting to think this isn't weather related. any ideas?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Dodge Charger

Could be a number of things,

Is it cranking at all? Or cranking slow? That would have to be something with your battery, maybe the wires don't have good connection or are dirty. Or the battery is just weak.

If it is turning over fine, just not firing up, it is probably your fuel pump. Usually you can hear the fuel pump running. If not, pull the line off the intake and see if it is getting any fuel. Could just be a clogged fuel filter too.

If it is getting fuel, then you aren't getting any spark. Which opens up about 10 other things that could be wrong with it.

As long as its 0 degrees or above, it should fire up without any problems.
    Current Whips:
    1979 Chevy K10 Stepside (350 4-spd, waiting to be restored)
    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 (Z71, 80,000 mi, leather,5.3 )
    2007 Kawasaki KLX 250 (street legal dual sport, 70 mpg, woo hoo!)
    2011 Dodge Charger (3.6 V6)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TiburonJT's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Ford Focus SE 5-Door 5MT

A common problem on that car is the ignition switch and the ignition lock cylinder and housing assembly, which can result in the engine not starting.

More details might help. Do you have a manual transmission? Does the car notturnover, which would suggest a problem with the solenoid, starter, battery, battery cables, etc. Does the car turnover? If so, could be a fuel problem, like fuel pump (maybe even a fuse?) or filter, or spark problem. Maybe even a timing belt? How has the car been running recently? Some people on this site should have experience with Cavaliers and be able to offer better advice than I will be able to provide.
    Last edited by TiburonJT; 02-07-2008 at 01:11 PM.

Walking
    Thanks

thanks for the replies guys.. it turns over fine but won't catch. the starter, plugs, and wires were all changed out about 7 months ago along with a new battery. i'd thought that was the resolution to a different problem where the car would start fine but then would lose power intermittently. the fuses were fine then and are now as well. i don't see any obvious problems with the terminals, fuses, belts, etc. the problem before was the ignition switch. guess it could be again.. this time with different symptoms. hmm

Walking
    Thanks

welp, autozone says it's not the battery or the alternator. i replaced the starter, battery cables, battery, plugs and wires all within the last year so who knows. i keep hearing ignition system or fuel system. i can't hear the fuel pump buzzing as a few people have mentioned so it's off to the shop tomorrow.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TiburonJT's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Ford Focus SE 5-Door 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by jeremx View Post
    welp, autozone says it's not the battery or the alternator. i replaced the starter, battery cables, battery, plugs and wires all within the last year so who knows. i keep hearing ignition system or fuel system. i can't hear the fuel pump buzzing as a few people have mentioned so it's off to the shop tomorrow.
    Give us an update when you find out what is wrong with it. Maybe we'll be able to help someone in the future with the info.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information