Wiper issue-'08 Vue

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wiper issue-'08 Vue

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Saturn Vue, Dark Blue

Wiper issue-'08 Vue

This morning, the passenger wiper stopped in the middle of the windshield. The driver's side wiper knocked it down to the "off" position. It is not moving when turned on while the other is. What is going on here? The car is ONLY 5 years old!! My '99 SL1 never had this problem. Any suggestions on a fix or why this happened? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Re: Wiper issue-'08 Vue

Quote Originally Posted by cmj927 View Post
    This morning, the passenger wiper stopped in the middle of the windshield. The driver's side wiper knocked it down to the "off" position. It is not moving when turned on while the other is. What is going on here? The car is ONLY 5 years old!! My '99 SL1 never had this problem. Any suggestions on a fix or why this happened? Thanks!

Two likely issues: Either the wiper transmission assembly broke (under the cowl) or the compression nut that holds the right wiper arm to the transmission assembly shaft came loose. The wiper arm is made of soft metal where it attaches to the shaft (where the compression nut goes), and if the nut is loose, it is possible for the arm to become loose on the shaft.

Do you live in a cold climate and perhaps the wiper blade was frozen to the windshield, causing the problem when you turned on the wipers? I have seen where people forget to turn off the wipers when they turn off the motor, then on a restart - the wipers activate and if frozen to the windhsield, break.

A family member has a 2006 Vue - the wiper arms are held on by exposed chrome nuts. Your Vue may have the compression nut exposed, or be concealled under a pop-off plastic cover. Move the loose wiper arm and see if it is tight on the transmission assembly shaft. If so, the transmssion assembly will likely have to be replaced. If the wiper arm is loose on the shaft, remove the compression nut and position the wiper arm correctly (with the wipers off and in the park position). Tighten the compression nut and check for correct operation.

Replacement transmission assemblys are serviced as a complete unit (motor and linkage) and are rather easy to install, if you are mechanically inclined. The wiper arms must be removed, the windshield cowl cover removed, and then the assembly removed and replaced.

Good luck. Let us know what you determine.

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Saturn Vue, Dark Blue

I live in New Orleans. Thanks, I hope it's just the nut! It will be checked this afternoon. The arm was pushed down by the driver's arm hitting it so it is not stuck.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

I live in New Orleans. Thanks, I hope it's just the nut! It will be checked this afternoon. The arm was pushed down by the driver's arm hitting it so it is not stuck.

When you remove the right wiper arm nut, you should be able to remove the wiper arm very easily. The metal in the wiper arm shaft operning is very soft, and threads are cut into by the hard metal splines on the shaft of the wiper transmission. New threads should be formed in the wiper arm as the nut is tightened (pushing the wiper arm down). You may have to reposition the wiper arm slightly. It is possible for this soft metal to wear away (such as when your wiper arm shaft is rotating and the wiper arm is not). If the wiper arm will not tighten due to the soft metal being worn away, you can purchase and replace just the wiper arm (the blade is extra and you can reuse your old blade). Often, the left and right wiper arm are different parts (although they may initially look very similar). Any GM dealer should be able to get the arm (or order it and have it quickly). Good luck.

PS - I live in the snow belt and it is cold with lots of snow and ice on the ground here....

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 GM Customer Service's Avatar
    Thanks

Glad to see you're getting DIY help from forum members, cmj927! I look forward to your updates, and please let me know if you would like any assistance working with a dealer. I'm available to schedule appointments and/or contact your dealer on your behalf to follow up on concerns!

Katie
    GM Customer Service
    Follow us @GMCustomerSvc on Twitter.

Thanks

It's been what seems like a lifetime ago, but when I worked for Saturn in parts there was a vehicle that would go through wiper transmissions. Not sure if it was the VUE or not, but it was happening to vehicles still under warranty (this would have been 7 years ago, though). You might find Saturn has a TSB on it -- they may even cover the repair. Just look up your closest "authorized" Saturn repair facility.
    Last edited by demonspeed; 01-03-2013 at 03:27 PM.
    Current: '12 Malibu LTZ|'07 TrailBlazer LS|'02 Camaro SS
    Past: '08 G6 GT|'05 GTO|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z

www.fquick.com/demonspeed

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Me When my car has a problem, I just drive it to the dealer and ask them to fix it. If I have warranty, they fix it for free, if I do not, they tell me the price and I pay for the repairs. If a Car costs me $5000.00 or more to keep on the road over a 12 month period, I trade it in for a new one. Usually around 300,000.00 miles.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Any update?

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information