Wind Noise- Silverado (advice needed)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wind Noise- Silverado (advice needed)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 member12's Avatar
    Thanks

Wind Noise- Silverado (advice needed)

An annoying wind noise has developed in the A-pillars/front doors of my Silverado

Today was the 4th dealership visit to solve this problem.

Replacing the weatherstripping didn't help, adjusting the doors achieved nothing but to mis-align them, and re-sealing the windshield did nothing. The dealership service department has told me that they don't know how to fix it.

Does anyone have access to a TSB or something that can help out with this problem? It's really causing some headaches because I'm worried that the dealerships around here don't have experience with this problem. I've become an expert at adjusting the front doors myself...that combined with rigging up improved fit with double sided tape with only a marginal change in wind noise.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by member12; 03-06-2009 at 04:12 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: Wind Noise- Silverado (advice needed)

has anything been added to the vehicles front end to cause a change in aerodynamics?
    maybe a bug shield?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rbarrios View Post
    has anything been added to the vehicles front end to cause a change in aerodynamics?
    maybe a bug shield?
    Nope. Bone stock except for a bed cover. The noise has developed over the past few months.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

What year Silverado?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    What year Silverado?
    2007...the new body style

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

reseal the windshield?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    reseal the windshield?
    From what I understand, that's exactly what they did. Removed and replaced the windshield. Except while detailing the truck this morning, I noticed that they did a very, very bad job. They didn't replace the plastic strip that runs on either A pillar the correct way and they didn't even touch the passenger side. I'm starting to think this might be the culprit.
    The windshield leak is shown on this board:
    http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t30875_ds41307

It's apparently a common issue. I am going to tape up the windshield today to see if they missed an area, but it really sounds like it's from the upper drivers side door.

Is there a TSB out about this with detailed instructions on how to make this repair. I'd rather make it at home...dealers in the Baton Rouge area are either clueless or careless.
    Last edited by member12; 03-07-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Walking
    Thanks

Sounds like a heavy rain, right? Well I finally figured it out last weekend. After a lot of trial and error, I placed electrical tape closing the gap between the windshield side trim and the windshield itself along the entire length of each piece. (I did it one at a time, just to be sure I had it nailed.) No more noise, even at high-high speed. This will definitely work. Notice how loose those trim pieces are? I imagine they get softer as time goes on. The wind is picking those up and it's tapping the windshield. I'm sure there's plenty of shedding off the front end that contributes to this happening, it's not exactly an F-16.

I'll be at the dealership tomorrow.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 SwampFoxZ71's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 08silver View Post
    Sounds like a heavy rain, right? Well I finally figured it out last weekend. After a lot of trial and error, I placed electrical tape closing the gap between the windshield side trim and the windshield itself along the entire length of each piece. (I did it one at a time, just to be sure I had it nailed.) No more noise, even at high-high speed. This will definitely work. Notice how loose those trim pieces are? I imagine they get softer as time goes on. The wind is picking those up and it's tapping the windshield. I'm sure there's plenty of shedding off the front end that contributes to this happening, it's not exactly an F-16.

I'll be at the dealership tomorrow.
    Uhhh....exactly what trim pieces are you referring to and is this on a truck that had a windshield replacement or factory?
    2010 Chevy Cobalt LT
    2010 Subaru Impreza

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

You might wanna check the little flap of rubber that covers the hood hinge
    on the cowl area on each side. Cover it up with tape and see if the noise
    goes away.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SwampFoxZ71 View Post
    Uhhh....exactly what trim pieces are you referring to and is this on a truck that had a windshield replacement or factory?
    The piece I'm talking about is actually a weatherstripping that serves as both a door and a windshield seal. It gets squashed a bit when you close the door. Look at the attached file. I would have gone out and taken a photo of my truck but it's raining right now. I'll try to get a photo before I head out of town on a reserve weekend trip. Factory windshield, by the way. I imagine that this piece is left intact even if they replace a windshield.

Also, it's not the hinge cover either. I tried covering that too, no effect. Trust me, this is definitely the cause.

Let me know if it works for you or if my instructions aren't clear.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 08silver; 05-06-2009 at 10:02 PM. Reason: more info

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 SwampFoxZ71's Avatar
    Thanks

Look at my truck today at the parking lot and I think I know what pieces you're talking about now. Thanks!
    2010 Chevy Cobalt LT
    2010 Subaru Impreza

Thanks

They replaced the weatherstripping, but I got directions from a very nice GMI member about adjusting the door. My roommate and I took care of that.

The noise subsided significantly, but I still noticed a hissing sound from the driver's side door. The side window has a rubber/plastic trim piece that serves as it's frame. The gap between this piece and the inside of the door near the side view mirror was very uneven. After a test run with masking tape, this turned out to be the second culprit.

My truck apparently had two leaks. One from an improperly shaped/aligned door, another from an improperly installed side window.

Thanks to great advice from a GMI member who works at what must be a very well regarded dealership, I was able to get my problem solved myself.

My roommates and I fixed the door, and I caulked the bad joint. No wind noise anymore. Dealer was of no help to me on either issue after at least 8 trips to get this solved. I think it's important that I point that out.

Walking
    Thanks

We make a kit for the Silverado, Tahoe, Sierra and Trailblazer that fixes the wind noise issue www.gmwindnoisekit.com

Thanks,
    JP
    Last edited by prats4; 11-22-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Walking
    Thanks

website fixed

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information