Why does cold weather affect fuel mileage?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does cold weather affect fuel mileage?

Banned
    Thanks

Why does cold weather affect fuel mileage?

I was reading the info on the new EPA figures for cars and trucks. They say that cold weather drops your fuel mileage. I thought cold air was actually better for an engine. They have cold air intakes on high performance cars... Someone help me out with this!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Re: Why does cold weather affect fuel mileage?

Part of it might be that engines idle faster when they are cold, using up more gas.
    Proud driver of a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    5.2 Magnum V8
    164,000 miles

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

-Some gas condenses on the intake tract and cylinder walls when it's cold out, so in order to start the engine easily the computer needs to dump in a lot of fuel to compensate.

-The computer makes the engine run richer to help it get warmed up more quickly.

-Since colder air is denser, more gas is necessary in order to maintain the same air:fuel ratio. This also means the engine produces more power, BTW, which is why cold-air intakes are so popular.

Banned
    Thanks

So if you garage your vehicle and keep it around 60 degrees, would it be considered cold? Also, when the vehicle warms up does it still run rich?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Old Dood's Avatar
    Thanks

They also change the type of fuel we use...Summer Gas & Winter Gas.
    TRY to Think Outside of the Box!
    Dag-Nab-It! I missed the thread titled:"Woman Kicked Off Train After 16-hour Cell Phone Chat"

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rearden82
    -Some gas condenses on the intake tract and cylinder walls when it's cold out, so in order to start the engine easily the computer needs to dump in a lot of fuel to compensate.

-The computer makes the engine run richer to help it get warmed up more quickly.

-Since colder air is denser, more gas is necessary in order to maintain the same air:fuel ratio. This also means the engine produces more power, BTW, which is why cold-air intakes are so popular.

This is what I've heard too....

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Garaging it would help. It wouldn't need as much gas to start the engine, it won't spend as much time in "warm-up" mode since the engine is starting out at 60 degrees, and the warmer, thinner fluids would cause less parasitic loss. I forgot to mention that one in my first post, but it's a factor too.

Most engines run rich until the coolant temperature is around 160 degrees, then it leans out the mixture somewhat. However since the engine is getting more air (because it's denser), it needs more fuel to maintain the same mixture.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Another reason is that colder temperatures make all the lubricants stiffen up on the vehicle, so there's more resistance to the moving engine, transmission, and drivetrain parts until they get thoroughly warmed.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

And, the one missed so far ... Less traction through your tires. Your tires have a MUCH larger rolling resistence when they have to roll through snow.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Dodge Charger

Engines do run more efficient at cooler temps, but not if the engine is cold too.

Ideally, you want an engine at its full operating temp and to have the outside air much cooler. Say like 60 degrees or cooler. Air is much denser at cooler temps allow much more air to be inhaled by your intake. Most engines are naturally aspirated meaning they use negative atmospheric pressure to suck air into the engine. The denser the air, the more air is sucked in. Cold air intakes help get cooler air to the engine.

This principle does not really work on supercharged or turbocharged vehicles.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 01sunfire01's Avatar
    Thanks

i saw that happen in my G5 the gas miles droped the min it got cold out and i had no idea what happen. so i checked my air filter and changed my oil and still nothing. so i just put it away in my garage for the winter and brought the sunfire back out.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

What doesn't cold air affect...

Firstly, the car starts cold. So it has to run richer until warming up. The greases and oils in the engine and gearbox, and diff, and wheel bearings are cold and thick. The air is denser and the car has to work harder to push through it. The air is denser and the engine has to run with a narrower throttle opening for the same power creating more pumping losses.

The big loss is the increased use of choke though.

Thanks

I kind of wish i had a block heater so i could plug my car in a night. I hate how when the engine is cold the transmission doesn't want to shift up a gear. Instead it wants to keep the rpm's up i guess so that the engine warms up.

Wouldn't mind pattle shifters

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

If you have a Canadian market car you should have a block heater, most Canadian models do. Open the hood and look for a covered 3 prong plug hidden somewhere. Get a timer thing, set it to turn on 15-20 mins before you leave in the morning.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dood
    They also change the type of fuel we use...Summer Gas & Winter Gas.
    never heard of this b4..In Canada we use different Diesel for Winter.
    "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms."

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information