Water pump gasket leak?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water pump gasket leak?

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Water pump gasket leak?

I seem to have a leak between the water pump and the block, not coming from the pump. I've read before some concerns that the orange coolant is eating gaskets, like intake gaskets. Has there been any problems like this with the 02 trucks? Mine has the 4.8 v8.

I will be repairing the Pump gaskets in a week, going to replace the coolant also. My question is, are there any other gaskets that it would be wise to change while the coolant is drained to prevent further leaks? We plan on keeping this truck for another 6 years, so I'd like to get it right, Pete.

Also, anyone know torque specs for pump to block bolts? thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: Water pump gasket leak?

Water Pump Replacement (4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L Engines)
    Removal Procedure

1. <LI type=1>Drain the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling . <LI type=1>Loosen the air cleaner outlet duct clamps at the following locations:
      Throttle body
      Mass airflow/intake air temperature (MAF/IAT) sensor
      <LI type=1>Remove the radiator inlet hose clip from the outlet duct. <LI type=1>Remove the air cleaner outlet duct.

<LI type=1>If necessary, remove the engine sight shield. Refer to Upper Intake Manifold Sight Shield Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L. <LI type=1>Remove the radiator vent inlet hose from the radiator hose clips.

<LI type=1>Reposition the inlet hose clamp at the water pump. <LI type=1>Remove the inlet hose from the water pump. <LI type=1>Remove the fan blade. Refer to Fan Replacement . <LI type=1>Remove the accessory drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement - Accessory in Engine Mechanical - 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L.

<LI type=1>Reposition the outlet hose clamp at the water pump. <LI type=1>Remove the outlet hose from the water pump.

<LI type=1>Reposition the surge tank outlet hose clamp at the water pump. <LI type=1>Remove the surge tank outlet hose from the water pump.

<LI type=1>Reposition the heater inlet hose clamp at the water pump. <LI type=1>Remove the heater inlet hose from the water pump.

<LI type=1>Remove the water pump bolts. <LI type=1>Remove the water pump and gaskets.
    2. Discard the water pump gaskets.
    Installation Procedure

Important: All gaskets surfaces are to be free of oil or other foreign material during assembly.

1. <LI type=1>Install the water pump and NEW gaskets. Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
      <LI type=1>Install the water pump bolts.
      Tighten
      1. <LI type=1>Tighten the water pump bolts a first pass to 15 N·m (11 lb ft).
      2. Tighten the water pump bolts a final pass to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

<LI type=1>Install the heater inlet hose to the water pump. <LI type=1>Position the heater inlet hose clamp at the water pump.

<LI type=1>Install the surge tank outlet hose to the water pump. <LI type=1>Position the surge tank outlet hose clamp at the water pump.

<LI type=1>Install the outlet hose to the water pump. <LI type=1>Position the outlet hose clamp at the water pump. <LI type=1>Install the accessory drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement - Accessory in Engine Mechanical - 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L. <LI type=1>Install the fan blade. Refer to Fan Replacement .

<LI type=1>Install the inlet hose to the water pump. <LI type=1>Position the inlet hose clamp at the water pump.

<LI type=1>Install the engine vent inlet hose to the radiator hose clips. <LI type=1>If necessary, install the engine sight shield. Refer to Upper Intake Manifold Sight Shield Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0 L.

Important: Align the arrow at the throttle body end of the duct with the throttle body attaching stud.

<LI type=1>Install the air cleaner outlet duct. <LI type=1>Install the radiator inlet hose clip to the outlet duct. <LI type=1>Tighten the air cleaner outlet duct clamps at the following locations:
      Throttle body

MAF/IAT sensor
      Tighten
      Tighten the air cleaner outlet duct clamp screws to 7 N·m (62 lb in).
    2. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 73ChevelleSS's Avatar
    Thanks

It would be a very good idea to just replace the pump also.Especially if you plane on keeping the truck.That is unless you like working on your truck.
    GM World Class Certified
    ASE Master Tech
    ASE Truck Tech
    ASE Service Consultant
    ASE Advance Engine Performance L1
    GM MOE 2005 Gold
    Gm MOE 2006 Gold

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

i have seen several occasions where the water pump gaskets have failed on those, doesnt matter the year, just if it has the 4.8 or 5.3 or 6.0 change your gaskets and you should be all good. as said above wouldnt hurt either to stick a new pump on it as well, just parts are expensive on the pump itself
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Thanks guys for the advice, I'll get those seals changed. As far as the pump goes, any idea how long they last? Yes and no to working on the truck, Yes I do like being able to repair my own cars/trucks and maintenance, but I don't want to replace the gaskets and coolant if the pump isn't expected to last much longer, kind of a waste of time/coolant/gaskets.....I'll price out a pump I guess.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

you will need a fan clutch wrench, and sockets for the water pump.

average life is solely dependent on alot of things, keep tap water out of the vehicle, change the coolant often, and make sure you have a good coolant mix.

normally you see them go up to 100k. max.

i have changed them under warranty before, as a low point
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Triple-X08 View Post

normally you see them go up to 100k. max

I guess I'm lucky. I got 150k on mine....

While i got the truck tied up in pieces, it's got 150 k on it now, what else ussually gives out by now or soon after? So far I've done the busted tailgate straps, flattened out springs, all 4 shocks, 500$ fuel pump, all 4 axle seals, plugs and wires, rear universal bout 4 times, rear brake rotors (huge grooves from rocks? Gm told me i drive to much gravel, in my 4x4 truck....), and now she's getting water pump w/gaskets and orange koolaid with bottled water?

Should I be looking at alternetor, starter, tensioner and idler pulleys, intake gaskets, transfer case work or anything like that. I'd like to take care of all the issues so we can use the truck again without worries, Pete.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information