GM Inside News Forum banner

Tsb

12K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Paige3 
#1 ·
Would like to see what TSB 06-08-42-004B, Malibu DRL is all about.

#2 ·
Subject:Front Park/Turn Signal/DRL or Rear Stop/Turn Signal/Tail Lamp/Light Inoperative (Replace Bulb and Inspect Socket) #06-08-42-004B - (06/19/2006)

Models:2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx

This bulletin is being revised with updated parts information in the Correction section. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-42-004A (Section 08 - Body & Accessories).
Condition

Some customers may comment that the front park/turn/DRL or rear stop/turn/tail lamp is inoperative.
Correction

DO NOT REPLACE THE HEADLAMP OR TAIL LAMP ASSEMBLY.
Replace the bulb and inspect the socket. If the socket is discolored, replace the socket following the procedures below.
Front Park/Turn/DRL Lamp
  1. <LI type=1>Remove the lamp assembly, then remove the bulb. Refer to Headlamp Assembly or Headlamp Bulb and/or Cornering, Sidemarker, Park, Turn Signal Bulb Replacement in SI. <LI type=1>Inspect the socket.
    If the socket is NOT discolored or damaged, replace the bulb only with Osram 3157 LCP bulb, P/N 13502322.
    If the socket is discolored at the bulb interface, replace the socket and bulb.
    Important: Use only Duraseal splice sleeves (salmon, P/N 12089189). Other splice sleeves may not protect the splice from moisture or provide a good electrical connection. Refer to Splicing Copper Wire Using Splice Sleeves in SI for splicing procedures.
    1. Cut the wires of the park/turn/DRL socket approximately 45 mm (1-¾ in) from the socket and splice in the replacement socket, P/N 15945363. Ensure that the splice is not above the socket when re-installing.
    2. Replace the bulb with Osram 3157 LCP bulb, P/N 13502322.​
  2. Verify that the front park/turn/DRL lamp is fully functional.
Rear Stop/Turn/Tail Lamp
  1. <LI type=1>Remove the lamp assembly, then remove the lower bulb (stop/turn/tail). Refer to Tail Lamp Assembly and/or Backup, Sidemarker, Stop, Turn Signal Bulb Replacement in SI. <LI type=1>Inspect the socket.
    If the socket is NOT discolored or damaged, replace the bulb only with Osram 3057 LCP bulb, P/N 15883346.
    If the socket is discolored at the bulb interface, replace the socket and bulb.
    Important: Use only Duraseal splice sleeves (salmon, P/N 12089189). Other splice sleeves may not protect the splice from moisture or provide a good electrical connection. Refer to Splicing Copper Wire Using Splice Sleeves in SI for splicing procedures.
    1. Cut the wires of the stop/turn/tail socket approximately 45 mm (1-¾ in) from the socket and splice in the replacement socket (P/N 15873724 for Malibu sedans or P/N 15873725 for Malibu Maxx vehicles).
    2. Replace the bulb with Osram 3057 LCP bulb, P/N 15883346.​
    <LI type=1>Remove the upper bulb (auxiliary tail lamp), if needed, and inspect the auxiliary tail lamp socket for discoloration. If the auxiliary tail lamp socket has discoloration, install new socket, P/N 15876348.
  2. Verify that the rear stop/turn/tail lamp is fully functional.
Parts Information

Part Number
Description
Osram 3057 LCP Bulb
Osram 3157 LCP Bulb
Socket Asm - Front Park & T/Sig Lp
Socket Asm - Stop & T/Lp (Malibu Sedan)
Socket Asm - Stop & T/Lp (Malibu Maxx)
Socket Asm - T/Lp
Important: A full rear harness with both new sockets is available for collision repair. Refer to the Parts Catalog for new part number usage and availability.
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1841159&evc=numSrch#ss4-1841159">Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
N0680
Bulbs, Park And Turn Signal Lamp (Right) - Replace
Use Published Labor Operation Time
N0681
Bulbs, Park And Turn Signal Lamp (Left) - Replace
N0760
Bulbs, Stop, Tail, And Turn Lamp (Right) - Replace
N0761
Bulbs, Stop, Tail, And Turn Lamp (Left) - Replace
N9537*
Socket, Lamp - Exterior (Front) - Replace
0.2 hr
Add:
To Splice Turn Signal Socket
0.1 hr
N9538*
Socket, Lamp - Exterior (Rear) - Replace
0.2 hr
Add:
To Splice Turn Signal/Stop Lamp and Auxiliary Tail Lamp
0.1 hr
*This labor operation is for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.
If only bulbs are replaced, use labor operation N0680, N0681, N0760 and/or N0761.

#4 ·
Re: TSB 06-08-42-004C (Repair burned turn signal bulbs, 2005 Malibu Maxx)

TSB 06-08-42-004C

I recently became aware of this Service Bulletin well after the warranty (and even the GM extended Protection Plan) had expired for my 2005 Malibu Maxx.

At no time during the years I have owned it did any of the dealers mention the bulletin, nor advise the use of the special 3157K turn lamp bulbs specified in the bulletin. On several occasions I asked what could be done about the melting lamps and bulb failures. "Lamps are not covered" was the standard answer.

Both front headlamp housings suffered ongoing burning and melting of the amber shells inside the housing. The bulbs would fail with burned contacts, and the chromed interior of the entire headlamp housing has become discolored, especially near the turn signal.

When the holes got large enough I switched to Sylvania 4157 amber bulbs to keep the appearance orange despite the holes in the colored internal lenses.

I have now purchased from GM and installed the specified front turn lamp bulbs (13502322), and replaced one of the sockets with the replacement lamp socket 15945363.

Here are some photos I took during the replacement process.

#10 ·

I did not purchase the recommended heat shrink butt wire crimp connectors from GM. The Duraseal splice sleeves from GM (3 per package) were pricey (for what they are).

Instead I used Techspan 761245 Adhesive Lined heat shrink crimp terminals, which also provide a waterproof seal after heat shrinking.

Note that two Black wires from the original lamp socket must be crimped together into one end of butt connector, which then connects to the single Black wire on the new socket.

#11 · (Edited)

Here you can clearly see the hole melted through the top of the inner amber dome. Blackened edges have been chipped away and cleaned out of housing.

This is with the new replacement socket and 3157K bulb installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.