Transmission question when Towing a Malibu 4 down

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transmission question when Towing a Malibu 4 down

Walking
    Thanks

Transmission question when Towing a Malibu 4 down

Hi, newbie here. According to Motorhome magazine any Malibu from 1997 forward can be towed four wheels down. These cars have the 4T40E auto tranny. Can anyone provide insight on why the Impala cannot from similar years and what tranny they come with?

Same idea on the Pontiacs, the Grand AM can be towed four down but the Gran Prix and Bonneville cannot.

The magazine says these are the only ones the manufacturer is willing to state in writing they can be towed four down.

I need a older 1997 - 2001, car that can comfortably fit three people in the back seat. The Malibu and the Grand Am are a little tight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: Transmission question when Towing a Malibu 4 down

THe bigger units have a 4T60e, and in neutral, they still have some viscous activity, whereas the 4T40e does not... This is what I've been told! Anything with the 4T40e should do...

MN4 is the option code...

Some Saturns could also be towed...however I don't know if the 4 cyl L series used a 4T40e or not...

You could get a bigger car, but then you'd need to wheel dolly the front...which I realize that you don't want to do...

I also think a 4x4 can be done...a lightweight one such as a Tracker or Vitara by putting the xfer case in Neutral...look into that...as I've seen the Tracker being towed behind RV's as well...
    Last edited by GMCSonoma; 07-15-2006 at 03:43 PM.

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes as Sonoma stated 4T40 can be belly towed, easiest way to tell, open the hood. If there is no transmission dip stick, it can be towed.

Any 4x4's with nueteral in the transfer case can be also. i.e. Autotrac equipped, or manual shift.

Walking
    Thanks

Thanks, I suspected there might be a difference in the tranny in the bigger GM models. I just got done towing with a dolly to Florida and back a week ago and decided 4 down is the better way to go. I happened to need to replace my daily beater car, a 1991 Olds Calais anyway, so I figured I would replace it with something a little larger to accomodate my need for carrying five people and towing four down. The Malibu will work but it gets tight with three in the back, and my two sons are not getting any smaller.
    I actually have a second vehicle that is a full size five passenger vehicle for my wife but it cannot be towed 4 down and they do not even make towing brackets for it even if I put a tranny pump on it.

Thanks

I pulled up a 1999 Malibu owner's manual for reference, it indicates that it can be towed either with the front wheels off the ground or on all four wheels, as long as it is only towed from the front. Doesn't matter if it is either a 4-cylinder or the V6, so either way you should be fine.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information