Transmission Flush a Good Thing?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission Flush a Good Thing?

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Transmission Flush a Good Thing?

Hi,

I just had the transmission flushed and filled on my 03 Grand Prix, and it has felt funny ever since. Engine revs higher to get up to speed, klunky shifting and slow response. No other work was done, and I don't think anything was damaged since then. Anyone experience anything similiar with trans flush and fills?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member T-Type's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Transmission Flush a Good Thing?

Double check to make sure the correct amount of trans fluid was added. The wrong amount of fluid can make it act funny. Check with the engine fully warmed up (suggest taking it for a short drive) with the car idling in park.

Thanks

I agree with Sonoma. Unless the car has really high mileage there is no reason to do a trans flush on a car that new.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

So you mean we shouldn't do a trans flush until 75,000 or 100,000 miles?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

I always have a flush done around 50K miles - by a trusted mechanic. Just a habit, I guess. Never had any transmission woes, so I don't plan to change that practice.

I also change my coolant and spark plugs at around that mark, even if GM says I don't need to until 100,000 miles.
    Last edited by Ming; 02-05-2005 at 10:10 AM.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Thank you all very much. The transmission is smoothing out the more driving I do. Hopefully nothing serious is wrong with it.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I personally dont' beleive in flushes persay. I do beleive in drainging the fluid and changing the filter, but I don't beleive in power flushes. If they losen andything up, or move a piece of something to the wrong spot you can end up having to spend lots of money to tear the tranny down. Regular fluid and fliter changes like every 50k will help keep your trans running quite well for the most part. I find that more then 50% of the time you run into problems after power flushing any trans, but to each there own. I am just going from what I've seen with my own eyes..
    2ND ANNUAL SOUTHERN ONTARIO GM NATIONALS... Coming soon.... http://www.sogm.ca/forum/index.php?c=2

1985 Monte Carlo SSw/89 L98 T.P.I 350Electric water pump motor, SVO 24# inj. (50psi), 150 NOS shot, 3" Custom true dual exhaust, TH350 w/2800 stall, B&M Megashifter, 3:73 posi, Crane Fireball Hi6s, boxed upper and lower control arms. Service Manager/Sales

Walking
    Thanks

Hi I had a flush at seventy six thousand miles, I was the worst thing i ever did. The dealer never informed me of the consuquensences. I had depre blown in my Trans. Had to have lots of parts replaced. Cost me over eight hundred bucks. The dealer should tell you that if you have never had a flush before , dont have one now. Flushes are bad.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by laboss
    Hi I had a flush at seventy six thousand miles, I was the worst thing i ever did. The dealer never informed me of the consuquensences. I had depre blown in my Trans. Had to have lots of parts replaced. Cost me over eight hundred bucks. The dealer should tell you that if you have never had a flush before , dont have one now. Flushes are bad.

They can be if not done correctly or there is debris evident.
    No troubles up until the flush?
    Was the trans ever serviced previously?

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

I remember before the advent of the "E" (700R4)trannies oil and filter changes being the time when problems started. Mostly the customer didn't ask for one till something wasn't quite right.

Since the electronic introduction that problem has since stopped, with oil and filter changes.

Flushing is relatively new up here and we don't seem to do enough of them to feel if they are effective or not.

Thanks

How hard is it to do your own tranny change and filter on a 1999 GMC Yukon? Is is better to have a hydraulic lift or just a jack? What do you guys think?
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    1989 Cadillac Brougham
    1987 Oldsmobile 442 (7,000 original miles with factory Astroroof)
    1987 Oldsmobile 442 (11,000 original miles with factory t-tops)
    1972 Oldsmobile 442
    1966 Oldsmobile 442 (one owner, needs resto)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzin Kaz
    I personally dont' beleive in flushes persay. I do beleive in drainging the fluid and changing the filter, but I don't beleive in power flushes. If they losen andything up, or move a piece of something to the wrong spot you can end up having to spend lots of money to tear the tranny down.
    Transmission flush machines do not force any fluid through the system. They attach to the cooler lines. As the transmission pumps the old fluid into the machine, it outputs an equal volume of new fluid into the return line. So there is no pressure beyond what the transmission's internal pump produces.

The key advantage is that it actually exchanges all of the fluid. Although it's important to drop the pan to periodically change the filter, you can only change about 1/4th of the fluid that way. Most of it stays in the torque converter and does not drain out.

The problems occur when someone gets a flush because the transmission is acting funny and/or the fluid is burnt. By that time the damage has already been done and there is likely a lot of sludge and varnish built up inside. The fresh additives from the new fluid attack the deposits, causing them to break off and jam valves, clog passageways, etc. In that case the transmission is doomed anyway, so your best bet is to do nothing to it, set aside some cash, and drive it for as long as you can.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

trans flushes are good to do, id say around 60k or so, gm recommends it.
    easy quick and not too messy if you do it with a lift.

but yes if you have a car with like 110k or 120 and its never been done, i ouldnt do it, just let it go. dont want to make problems. i go by what it looks like and smells like, regardless of miles if its burnt it gets changed.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Old Dood's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ming
    I always have a flush done around 50K miles - by a trusted mechanic. Just a habit, I guess. Never had any transmission woes, so I don't plan to change that practice.

I also change my coolant and spark plugs at around that mark, even if GM says I don't need to until 100,000 miles.
    I have learned to do mine at 30K miles. This is what the GM mechanics tell me I am suppose to do anyways. It is not all that expensive in the long run. I am talking a full flush not just a drain and refill.
    TRY to Think Outside of the Box!
    Dag-Nab-It! I missed the thread titled:"Woman Kicked Off Train After 16-hour Cell Phone Chat"

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

always replace your filter.

we offer flushes in 2 ways, with filter change or without.

most people get them with a filter

but some change there fluid every 40k and then change the filter and fluid at like 80k
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information