Transfer case fluid change

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transfer case fluid change

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Transfer case fluid change

I am preparing to do a fluid change on my 04 Silverado. I plan on doing the tranny, both diffs and the transfer case. I am going to use synthetic oils and lubes but the manufacturer has no recommendation for my transfer case (NVG 246-NP8). I have the push button 4WD. They list a GM part number (12378508) for this transfer case. I tried looking the part number up online but got no definitive answers. Any thoughts on this? I was going to see if there was a tag on the transfer case to see what it says for lube. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC taber.gmc's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Chevy Cruze

Re: Transfer case fluid change

I had the same problem with my 2000 GMC Sierra. The manual had no recommendations for the transfer case. I called a dealership, and they told me to use Dexron III (Transmission Fluid). On the other hand, our transfer case on the Duramax has to use super expensive GM Transfer Case lube.
    Current Ride: 2000 GMC Sierra Z71
    Previous Ride: 1989 Toyota Pickup
    Farm Vehicles: 2006 Chevy Silverado 3500

2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

1992 Chevy K2500HD

GMI Staff Member Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Thanks

Can vary depending on type of t/case. If you want to PM me the last 8 of your VIN I can tell you which. Some use transmission fluid, some use what GM calls Autotrac fluid, and some use manual transmission/transfer case fluid.

DOH! See you listed you case, hold on.

OK, the fluid part # you listed is for Autotrak-II fluid which goes in that t/case. Is that the info you wanted?
    Last edited by shadams; 03-14-2007 at 02:41 PM.
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

shadams here is the last 8 of my vin just in case my assumptions were wrong: 4Z273410

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

The blue transfer case fluid can be sourced at GM, you should need 2qt, and it isn't expensive.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. Now that I have that cleared up how do I tell which ring gear I have in the rear end? My truck has 3.73 ratio. And how do I tell which tranny pan i have on my truck deep or shallow and if it is a reusable gasket?
    Last edited by weo38; 03-15-2007 at 08:45 AM.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

You have the 8.6" rear diff with Posi & 3.73 ratio...both diffs use 75w90 synthetic...

Your transmission is a deep pan...oe# for the transmission service kit is# 24208576.

You will need two liters of the Auto Trac fluid for the tcase....#12378508
    Last edited by GMCSonoma; 03-15-2007 at 08:49 AM.

Walking
    Thanks

In my "2001 Diesel Supplement" manual it says for "manual transfer case" you should use Dexron III. For an "automatic transfer case" use Auto-Trak II. I was confused at first then after a couple of days of research I found out that the meaning of automatic trasfer case was if you have a 'Auto 4X4" button in your truck. In which I do not recall ever seeing one in a full size truck. I have however had one in my wife's 2001 ZR2 Blazer. Weather this is differnt because my truck is a diesel, I have no idea, but manual is manual and automatic is automatic.
    Last edited by Headymusk; 04-17-2008 at 08:19 AM.

Walking
    Thanks

I have one in my 2004 silverado 2500 hd.....so there are a few out there.

Walking
    Thanks

Im brand new here but how do I obtain a detailed rpo list mainly i need to know what tranny, diffs, and tcase I have so I know what fluids and addatives to buy just bought a '06 silverado w/66000 miles and I want to change all fluids hopefully to synthetic

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information