TPMS Reset Troubles

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TPMS Reset Troubles

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

TPMS Reset Troubles

I have a 2007 Silverado NBS and I rotated my tires yesterday and I knew that TPMS had to relearn the tires. I went through every step in the manual, using the DIC buttons to put the truck in learn mode, go to front driver tire and let pressure out, the manual says 5-30 seconds to learn it. I sat there for over 1 minute letting air out, went from 35 psi to 25 psi. Truck just times out.

The DIC shows the correct pressures, but the wrong tires, so all 4 sensors seem to be working fine the truck just refuses to learn the new locations.

I took it to the dealer and the guy used the DIC buttons to put it in learn mode with the truck running and said "there, the new locations have been learned" went home, let pressure out of the front driver tire, showed the rear driver. So clearly it didn't work.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 69Chevy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: TPMS Reset Troubles

The horn should honk twice when first put into Learn Mode, then honk once everytime the new sensor is learned. The dealer should also have a tool that is made to trigger the sensor thus learning their position. Takes all of 2 minutes. Personally I don't like doing the let air out or put air in method and prefer to use the tool, I don't think I've ever tried relearning the positions on a GMT900 using the air method.
    Last edited by 69Chevy; 10-14-2007 at 07:43 PM.

2007 Cobalt SS/SC
    1969 Chevy C/10 383 stroker

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Forgot that part, the horn honked twice when it was put into learn mode but never honked again. Why does the manual state you can just let the air out if it can't really be done without a $400+ dollar tool or a $50 visit to the dealer? If I can't do this without breaking the bank it's a useless feature and I just will disregard it or get a small tank, put the 4 sensors in it, and presurize it, let the computer read that.

Thanks

Maybe try putting air into the tires instead of letting air out? Don't put too much in of course.

2007 Cobalt SS/SC

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

yeah i think you have to let like say 5-10 psi out and top it right back up. then you should hear the horn chrip .. then move onto the next one.

and you have to do left front first, right front second, right rear thrid and left rear last and you should hear a double chrip when its all done... then take it for a little drive and should be all good.

and really if you dont want to get ur rotations done by the dealer then why should it matter what the exact locations are because the psi has to be the same in all the tires 35 or 45 according to the door.

if you ever get one tire thats getting low then just check them all and fix the leaking tire... simple as that.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

I check my pressure all the time, it's just nice to have the display show the correct tires. This TPMS is just a pain for everyone everywhere it seems.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brims
    I check my pressure all the time, it's just nice to have the display show the correct tires. This TPMS is just a pain for everyone everywhere it seems.
    Ya, what's he use of havin it if it isn't working right? I'd be takin it to the dealership and ask them what's wrong, may be a problem with the system it terms of not relearning.

2007 Cobalt SS/SC

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy
    Ya, what's he use of havin it if it isn't working right? I'd be takin it to the dealership and ask them what's wrong, may be a problem with the system it terms of not relearning.
    That's a good way to say it. I've sent Chevrolet an email, maybe they can give me some ideas as I've already been to 1 dealer (the best one around here which says a lot). Maybe I'll try another dealer.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

you can learn it by using the DIC, put it in learn mode, it should honk at you, then you know its in learn mode, then go to the left front tire, let out air, then go to the right front then the right rear then the left rear, then you will hear it honk at you again. its done, then reset the tire pressures.

other than that, you can use a tool that we use, its a kent moore tool for TPM systems, it activates the sensors and you dont have to change the pressures at all.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

I tried letting the pressure out but it never relearned the front driver's tire so it's dead right there. When it's dark out the parking light for the front driver's side came on and it never changed. I let out about 10 psi before the light went out.

That Kent Moore tool is about $400 from what I can see. Spending that kind of money for a device I'll rarely use is kind of absurd. I could take it to the dealer, but I have seen some pretty high prices for just resetting the TPMS to the tune of $50 which is absurd as well.

If the system worked it would be a nice system to have. But when the instructions in the manual do not work and I'm told I've got to spend ~$50 every time I rotate/replace the tires to get it reset, I don't see it as being useful, just another ploy by GM to extract more money for something that shouldn't be this difficult.

If the systems goes crazy when I get the tires replaced, I will remove the sensors and put them in a pressurized container and mount it to the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple-X08
    you can learn it by using the DIC, put it in learn mode, it should honk at you, then you know its in learn mode, then go to the left front tire, let out air, then go to the right front then the right rear then the left rear, then you will hear it honk at you again. its done, then reset the tire pressures.

other than that, you can use a tool that we use, its a kent moore tool for TPM systems, it activates the sensors and you dont have to change the pressures at all.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

did u read my post?? (mostly letting about 5 psi out then put 5 psi in, that dont work?)

what ya could do if buy the tool and reset peoples trucks (and yours ofcourse) for about 10 bucks a shot and it will pay for itself.

pretty sure if someone comes into my dealer we will get an apprientice like myself to do it in the drivethrough for free.
    Last edited by Ryan066; 10-17-2007 at 07:41 PM.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Thanks

Any dealer that charges $50 to reset the TPMS are crooks if you ask me. Have you even asked, or are you just assuming that? Not to mention that any reputable tire shop should have the device, all 2008 and up cars have to have the TPMS system, not just GM. (although GM had it starting in 04 on select models. )

BTW, you cannot take them out and put them in a container, the system doesnt work that way.

You dont have to let air out of the tire until it honks. When I do it, I count to 7 and stop. The horn will honk after about 15-20 seconds. If there is no "service tire montior" light on then the system is working and you are doing something wrong. If you are having that much trouble with it, get it to the dealer, if their is truly something wrong they will fix it under warranty. If you are doing something wrong, you dont have a choice.

Also, 99% of TPMS problems and frustrations are due to user error. We went through a **** storm of drama before I got all the material, sat down, read the directions, called tech assist, and got it don to a T. We havent had any programming trouble since.

Here, read this:

Tire Pressure Monitor Description and Operation

The tire pressure monitor (TPM) system warns the driver when a significant loss of tire pressure occurs in any of the 4 tires, and allows the driver to display the individual tire pressures, and their locations on the driver information center (DIC).

The system uses the powertrain control module (PCM), instrument panel cluster (IPC), DIC, remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) a radio frequency (RF) transmitting pressure sensor in each wheel/tire assembly, and the serial data circuit to preform the system functions.

When the vehicle is stationary the sensor's internal accelerometer is inactive, which puts the sensors into a stationary state. In this state the sensors sample tire pressure once every 30 seconds and do not transmit at all if the tire pressures do not change. As vehicle speed increases, centrifugal force activates the sensor's internal accelerometer causing the sensors to go into rolling mode. In this mode the sensors sample pressure once every 30 second and transmit in rolling mode once every 60 seconds. The RCDLR receives and translates the data contained in each sensor's RF transmission into sensor presence, sensor mode, and tire pressure. The RCDLR sends the tire pressure and tire location data to the DIC via the serial data circuit where they are displayed as follows:

• LF TIRE XX PSI

• RF TIRE XX PSI

• RR TIRE XX PSI

• LR TIRE XX PSI

The sensors continuously compare their last transmitted pressure to their current pressure sample and will transmit in re-measure mode if a 8 kPa (1.2 psi) change in tire pressure has been detected in either a stationary, or rolling state. When the TPM system detects a significant loss of tire pressure, the CHECK TIRE PRESSURE message is displayed on the DIC and the low tire pressure indicator is displayed on the IPC. Both the message and indicator can be cleared by adjusting the tire pressures to the recommended kPa/psi. The sensor’s pressure range is 0-102 psi. The sensors pressure accuracy from--10 to degrees C is 13.7 kPa (2 psi). Refer to Vehicle Certification, Tire Place Card, Anti-Theft, and Service Parts ID Label .

The RCDLR has the ability to detect malfunctions within the TPM system. Any malfunction detected will cause the DIC to display the SERVICE TIRE MONITOR message.
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Oh, I read that wrong, I'll give that a try.

You might do that for free, but some people might not be that cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan066
    did u read my post?? (mostly letting about 5 psi out then put 5 psi in, that dont work?)

what ya could do if buy the tool and reset peoples trucks (and yours ofcourse) for about 10 bucks a shot and it will pay for itself.

pretty sure if someone comes into my dealer we will get an apprientice like myself to do it in the drivethrough for free.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

I agree, $50 is robbery. I've read that all over, I didn't ask but that seems to be the general consensus.

If you don't have to wait for the truck to honk, then GM needs to get the information straight in their owner's manual. I will try just letting the pressure out for a short while and hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by shadams
    Any dealer that charges $50 to reset the TPMS are crooks if you ask me. Have you even asked, or are you just assuming that? Not to mention that any reputable tire shop should have the device, all 2008 and up cars have to have the TPMS system, not just GM. (although GM had it starting in 04 on select models. )

BTW, you cannot take them out and put them in a container, the system doesnt work that way.

You dont have to let air out of the tire until it honks. When I do it, I count to 7 and stop. The horn will honk after about 15-20 seconds. If there is no "service tire montior" light on then the system is working and you are doing something wrong. If you are having that much trouble with it, get it to the dealer, if their is truly something wrong they will fix it under warranty. If you are doing something wrong, you dont have a choice.

Also, 99% of TPMS problems and frustrations are due to user error. We went through a **** storm of drama before I got all the material, sat down, read the directions, called tech assist, and got it don to a T. We havent had any programming trouble since.

Here, read this:

Tire Pressure Monitor Description and Operation

The tire pressure monitor (TPM) system warns the driver when a significant loss of tire pressure occurs in any of the 4 tires, and allows the driver to display the individual tire pressures, and their locations on the driver information center (DIC).

The system uses the powertrain control module (PCM), instrument panel cluster (IPC), DIC, remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) a radio frequency (RF) transmitting pressure sensor in each wheel/tire assembly, and the serial data circuit to preform the system functions.

When the vehicle is stationary the sensor's internal accelerometer is inactive, which puts the sensors into a stationary state. In this state the sensors sample tire pressure once every 30 seconds and do not transmit at all if the tire pressures do not change. As vehicle speed increases, centrifugal force activates the sensor's internal accelerometer causing the sensors to go into rolling mode. In this mode the sensors sample pressure once every 30 second and transmit in rolling mode once every 60 seconds. The RCDLR receives and translates the data contained in each sensor's RF transmission into sensor presence, sensor mode, and tire pressure. The RCDLR sends the tire pressure and tire location data to the DIC via the serial data circuit where they are displayed as follows:

• LF TIRE XX PSI

• RF TIRE XX PSI

• RR TIRE XX PSI

• LR TIRE XX PSI

The sensors continuously compare their last transmitted pressure to their current pressure sample and will transmit in re-measure mode if a 8 kPa (1.2 psi) change in tire pressure has been detected in either a stationary, or rolling state. When the TPM system detects a significant loss of tire pressure, the CHECK TIRE PRESSURE message is displayed on the DIC and the low tire pressure indicator is displayed on the IPC. Both the message and indicator can be cleared by adjusting the tire pressures to the recommended kPa/psi. The sensor’s pressure range is 0-102 psi. The sensors pressure accuracy from--10 to degrees C is 13.7 kPa (2 psi). Refer to Vehicle Certification, Tire Place Card, Anti-Theft, and Service Parts ID Label .

The RCDLR has the ability to detect malfunctions within the TPM system. Any malfunction detected will cause the DIC to display the SERVICE TIRE MONITOR message.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brims
    I agree, $50 is robbery. I've read that all over, I didn't ask but that seems to be the general consensus.

If you don't have to wait for the truck to honk, then GM needs to get the information straight in their owner's manual. I will try just letting the pressure out for a short while and hope it works.
    Re-read what I wrote. I didnt say it didnt have to honk, I said you dont have to keep letting air out UNTIL it honks. Just let out air for about 7 seconds, that should be enough to activate the sensor. Then, after seven seconds, wait until the horn honks, (could be up to 30 seconds) then move to the next tire, and so on.
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information