TPMS reset on Impala

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TPMS reset on Impala

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

TPMS reset on Impala

07 Impala.
    Rotated the tires.
    went to do the reset.....
    No go.
    Ive tried as the manual says.
    Ive let air out slow and fast for 5 seconds.
    fast for 30 seconds
    etc...

At most ive been able to get 3 of the 4....
    but many times I cant get the 1st one to get recognized.
    Ive gotten tires pretty low.
    Even tried to reset while AIRING up the tire.

Ive tried countless times.

I saw several comments online of people using strong magnets to reset the TPMS.
    (One on youtube put magnet up to valve and it honks in about 3 seconds).
    This was on a C6 Corvette...
    Also saw people mention that you can try one of those super strong Hard disk drive magnets and those work too....

I just happen to have one of those at work...Im going to try that as a last resort......

Worth a shot..........

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: TPMS reset on Impala

heres the you tube video...
    the C6 may have different TPMS module...
    but at this point its worth a try...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uplJ8AaNKjw

Walking
    Thanks

At one point in time there were issues that GM knew about in getting the module to learn the new position of the tire. There is a special J-Tool the dealership uses to check the id of the sensor and also command it to brodcast it presence to the vehicle, the sequence of each sensor indicates the position of the wheel.

Frustrating without proper tools and written procedure.

Andy

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Frustrating is an understatement.

I just hope the damn magnet works... I see theres different valve stem modules out there...

Any of the techs on here- know if the magnet trick works on the type of TPMS module on the 07 Impala....

Thanks

If the tires are only rotated and and not dismounted... every car I've been involved with [mainly Vettes] relearns the postion after 15 min of driving. Even Corvettes often relearn all the info after a short drive if the wheels are put back on in the same position.
    From what I understand very cold weather can affect the systems ability to relearn the data. Vettes have been trouble free for us [dozens done] with their system , when we put new wheels and tires on but using the original sensors. We always put the original sensor back in the same position on the car. This definitely seems to help. BTW, the strength of the magnet seems to be no big deal especially on forged wheels with thinner than stock contours.
    Your problem is most likely having to to do with "exciting" the sensors to begin reading the data. Additionally, you know that the valve cores and caps are different for the TPMS sensors, they are part of the "antenna".

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

so I rotated the tires and chose to have the TPMS relearn the new location....
    Next time ill leave them alone.....and just have the location show up in a diff spot on the DIC.
    The magnet didnt work....
    The corvette units are different than the ones on the impala.
    those are metal... impalas are black/rubber..

and I did learn that the valve stem acts like an antenna......
    Maybe ill try putting a wire on it to act as a bigger antenna... Ill try anything at this point...
    But yeah... I cant always get them to send out the signal and be recognized.
    But I figure that after letting out 20 lbs of air pressure for 30 some seconds-- that it would excite that damn sensor...

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

is it just 1 individual tire or does it not matter, like is it the left front 1 time, and then the right front on another attempt, or is it consistantly the left front tire for example.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

its random.
    Ive gotten all 4 to cause the honk... at different times---- just not all 4 during the same learn procedure.
    ive gotten
    3 of the 4
    1 of the 4
    2 of the 4
    none of the 4
    Ive tried this procedure maybe 30 times now.

and obviously since I have not been able to reset--- it always times out on one of the tires.
    The next time I try it I will let the car sit for several hours before I try.

(last time I tried I said.. the left rear.. never gotten that one to honk...so I tried the relearn and went to that tire 1st-- and honked within 10 sec... then I tried the front left.. and it never honked)..
    at this point I didnt care what tire was in which location.. as long as I could get them to be recognized in any position and to get that message and the flashing tire sign off the dash).

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information